• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Water on Mars

water on mars

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:15 AM

http://mars.jpl.nasa...561E01_DXXX.jpg

Our Turnbuckle spotted this NASA picture which he feels may depict an underground water leak.  It does look like it could be a water leak to me.  

PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR OPINION WITHOUT DENIGRATING THIS TOPIC, THEORY OR THE PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE IN IT.  THIS WRITER IS AWARE THAT PEOPLE ARE PAID TO COME ON THREADS LIKE THIS ONE AND DISRUPT THEM.  IF YOU DO THAT HERE, YOU MAY REGRET IT.   

Attached Thumbnails

• post-19769-0-72880300-1411687094_thumb.j

Edited by Luminosity, 28 September 2014 - 04:19 AM.

• dislike x 3

#2 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

You're a conspiracy clown

That's my opinion

Free

Totally free

You're welcome...
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

The picture in the OP is from day 712. There are several pictures from that day showing water seepage--

http://mars.jpl.nasa...12&camera=MAST_

• like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

The curiosity rover caries a substantial suite of scientific instrumentation including a gas chromatograph, mass spectrometer, and tunable laser spectrometer.  It would be a simple matter to scoop up some of that purported wet dirt and show that it contained a significant amount of water.  Yet there are no reports of liquid water on Mars that I've heard.  So, what's up with that.  Why aren't they doing that?

ps:  Dear Illuminati, please send all payments in bitcoin to niner@longecity.org.  Thank you

• like x 1

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

The curiosity rover caries a substantial suite of scientific instrumentation including a gas chromatograph, mass spectrometer, and tunable laser spectrometer.  It would be a simple matter to scoop up some of that purported wet dirt and show that it contained a significant amount of water.  Yet there are no reports of liquid water on Mars that I've heard.  So, what's up with that.  Why aren't they doing that?

Exactly. And why didn't they focus on one of the Day 712 seeps and watch for developments? I'd expect it to wax and wane over a period of minutes and hours, but seems they didn't...or didn't release the pictures. 

• like x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Exactly. And why didn't they focus on one of the Day 712 seeps and watch for developments? I'd expect it to wax and wane over a period of minutes and hours, but seems they didn't...or didn't release the pictures. 

I suppose one possibility is that they already know about the existence of shadows and areas that have darker-colored dirt, so they don't analyze every shadow they see.  Or, maybe they are releasing pictures of martian water and bones just to taunt us. 

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I suppose one possibility is that they already know about the existence of shadows and areas that have darker-colored dirt, so they don't analyze every shadow they see.  Or, maybe they are releasing pictures of martian water and bones just to taunt us.

One can't look at these "shadows" and not see that water made them. There is nothing else there to make them--no rocks or landslides. They are not in the direction of the wind but all emanate from cracks in the rocks and appear to run downslope. Some have piled up small deltas, or caused sand to slump. Some have faded but are still visible around fresh flows. Some have dripped on rocks and puddled there. They exhibit all the characteristics of fluid flow and the only reasonable fluid is water. NASA has discussed such flows as seen from orbit but has never admitted seeing one from the ground, nor have they ever said they analyzed any "shadows".

So this is weird. One possible explanation is they are working on a paper and don't want to say anything until it is published. These pictures only date to a few weeks ago, after all. But if they don't say anything, something else is going on. Especially as they never said anything about the apparent lakes they observed from orbit--

Attached Files

• like x 2

#8 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

I am curious as to why water on Mars is 'possible'. We already know that there is water on Mars, a whole lot of it in fact. Unfortunately the temperature on Mars keeps it frozen in the form of ice for the most part and any that does seep from below the surface due to geological activity either evaporates or freezes (both actually). Regarding that seepage, we already know it has occurred in the past, is probably occurring presently, and will occur again in the future. What would be the gain in hiding something that is already common knowledge? Sadly, the only place a persisting body of water could presently be maintained on Mars is below the surface.

PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR OPINION WITHOUT DENIGRATING THIS TOPIC, THEORY OR THE PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE IN IT.  THIS WRITER IS AWARE THAT PEOPLE ARE PAID TO COME ON THREADS LIKE THIS ONE AND DISRUPT THEM.  IF YOU DO THAT HERE, YOU MAY REGRET IT.  

Injecting your own topic with conspiracy while threatening people while at the same time asking people to not be disruptive? I really don't think that is a very good or even sane approach.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 29 September 2014 - 01:28 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Edited: Never mind, I just realized I am wasting my time.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 29 September 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

The temperature on Mars reaches as high as 70F, well above freezing, so liquid on the surface is possible. But there is something else in these pictures that is even more interesting. This picture, for instance, may show evidence of a lichen growth where water is seeping between two rocks. I've cropped the interesting area below, with a picture of a similar growth on Earth.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#11 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

The temperature on Mars reaches as high as 70F, well above freezing, so liquid on the surface is possible. But there is something else in these pictures that is even more interesting. This picture, for instance, may show evidence of a lichen growth where water is seeping between two rocks. I've cropped the interesting area below, with a picture of a similar growth on Earth.

Yeah I was continually editing my post, before deciding to give up because it is a waste of time. You are right though, at the equator it can get that warm.

Though if it was 70F, wouldn't the water be boiling? :) I think it boils on Mars around 50F

Edited by mikeinnaples, 29 September 2014 - 01:38 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#12 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Water doesn't last long except perhaps as in areas like they found on day 712, where the seeps may be daily during the warm season. Enough for lichen, which can survive in a desert.

#13 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:04 AM

Thanks again for your contributions, Turnbuckle.  

On the other hand, some contributors make me really appreciate the ignore feature.  

Edited by Luminosity, 30 September 2014 - 05:06 AM.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#14 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

I will say the dark streak on the first picture looks kind of like the iron sediment that was in the dry stream bed (arroyo) in back of our house in Santa Fe when I was young.  Only those were much smaller and more numerous. There were lines of iron sediment mixed with the reddish sandy soil in the arroyo but it was in numerous small streaks.  The color looked similar and the soil color looks a little like the soil in Santa Fe.  

Edited by Luminosity, 30 September 2014 - 07:00 AM.

• dislike x 1

#15 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

Why was my post deleted? There was nothing wrong with it. Can you check on that Niner?

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks

• dislike x 1

#17 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

A rivulet on day 748.

Recent water flow in day 747?

#18 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for sharing that.  The rivulet just looks like a dry crack to me.  The second one looks potentially like wet rocks.  Is that a picture of a vertical cliff?

• dislike x 1

#19 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for sharing that.  The rivulet just looks like a dry crack to me.  The second one looks potentially like wet rocks.  Is that a picture of a vertical cliff?

It's not clear what the slope is, but the most dramatic seeps seen so far have been near a cliff. This is to be expected as the water table will be closer to the surface at that point and rocks jutting from sand will force water to the surface. Around day 712, the rover was retracing its path, possibly to get more pictures of these seeps. On day 711, for instance there were quite a few of them--

http://mars.jpl.nasa...501E01_DXXX.jpg

Notice how they occur at the lowest level, but not higher up, which is presumably above the water table.

Here is the path of the rover on day 711.

http://curiosityrove...hp?drivenum=227

Which is only the second time they've backtracked like that, a sign they'd found something interesting.

#20 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

Did the Curiosity drill hit water on Day 762? 

http://mars.jpl.nasa...089E01_DXXX.jpg

#21 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

It's good to have you aboard.  I could never understand this stuff on this level.  Do you mind me asking what is your educational and professional background?  Are you a scientist?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users