memory cocoa aging

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#31 AMx Workshop

• Guest Spammer
  • 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

personally, the only thing i notice is a mild stimulant effect and maybe a euphoric effect when stacked with mao-b inhibitors..specifically i've noticed this with catechins, cats claw extract and kava kava really brings out the fullness of cocoa...it's desmethoxyangonin serves as a novel mao-b inhibitor from kava and synergizes with cocoa flavonols and theobromine.

#32 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

Turnbuckle: Great find, but since we can't be sure of either the amount in each capsule or if there are other flavanols affecting the outcome of the study, I think a full spectrum cocoa extract would be the best option.

One of the best looking ones that I have found is this:

http://www.cocoavia.com/

I will most likely begin supplementing this in the next week or so, and I will be sure to report my findings here.

Here is another one with a high level of mixed catechins, such as epicatechin. Very cheap, with reports on pubmed that it enhances memory.

The link above appears to be the cheapest source of epicatechin by far. (referring to this one:

http://www.swansonvi...FcNQ7AodBW4ALA)

And Swanson is a relatively good brand too.

Any opinions on this specific product? Anyone ever tried it?

Any idea what likely breakdown of catechin vs epicatechin would be? The product lists each capsule's contents as:

Acacia Extract (Acacia catechu) (heart wood) [standardized to 40% catechins (catechin, epicatechin)]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

any input?

#34 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

I tried 4 caps of Swanson's Acacia Catechu yesterday, and could barely sleep as my brain was buzzing, so it definitely does something. The label says one cap has 580 mg of extract, standardized to 40% catechins (catechin, epicatechin). Epicatechin is likely the memory active agent in cocoa.

Acacia catechu is apparently the principle herb for treating recalcitrant skin conditions within Ayurvedic medicine. I wonder if it is the epicatechin or another compound or combination thereof that is responsible for this reputation. I might give it a try for this reason alone...with zero expectations, of course. I have always been a bit leery of swanson supplements. They are just so cheap, and you can't help but wonder if you are getting what you pay for.

Have you noticed anything other than stimulation, Turnbuckle?

#35 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

I tried 4 caps of Swanson's Acacia Catechu yesterday, and could barely sleep as my brain was buzzing, so it definitely does something. The label says one cap has 580 mg of extract, standardized to 40% catechins (catechin, epicatechin). Epicatechin is likely the memory active agent in cocoa.

Acacia catechu is apparently the principle herb for treating recalcitrant skin conditions within Ayurvedic medicine. I wonder if it is the epicatechin or another compound or combination thereof that is responsible for this reputation. I might give it a try for this reason alone...with zero expectations, of course. I have always been a bit leery of swanson supplements. They are just so cheap, and you can't help but wonder if you are getting what you pay for.

Have you noticed anything other than stimulation, Turnbuckle?

Not so far. There might be an effect on memory, but I haven't taken it long enough to notice. Also, I've cut the dose down from 4 caps to 2, and not every day. I was not getting much sleep with 4. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#36 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

At first it gave me a clear mind,a wakefulness, excitement, and a racing mind with a positive life is awesome frame. I had major insomnia that night, and had taken ionic magnesium, tryptophan, and then eventually 2, yes 2 piriton anti histamines to try and get me to sleep. Amazingly even though I ended up going to sleep at 3am, I somehow got up at 9:30am. Now for me, after taking 2 anti histamines, tryptophan and ionic magnesium, I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't get myself up at 2pm.

However it seems as though raw cocoa is making me tired like I could fall asleep any moment, but I'm not able to sleep. For example all day today it just felt I just need more sleep, I can't concentrate, but the PEA is making me positive/happy. And I felt like this all day. Yet it's now 1:30am and I can't fall asleep. Also I notice I spend about 30 minutes writing sentences.

Anyway I'm typing from my ipad, and raw cocoa has kind of fucked me up.

This seems misguided to me. Taking flavanols to prolong life and avoid chronic diseases might be a good idea, and probably isn't very risky, in moderate doses. (Huge doses might be a problem.) But this stuff isn't a psychiatric drug. I would not expect any immediate effects or obvious benefits.

It's possible that over a period of many weeks or months, there might be some subtle subjective benefit from cocoa flavanols, or other stuff, but you'd probably have to keep some kind of a daily record to notice the benefits. Otherwise, the day to day fluctuations of mood and stresses would probably be much more noticeable than the subtle benefits. Not to mention the placebo effect -- you'd be much more likely to notice the placebo effect than consistent-but-subtle changes in your body, or mood and mental activity.

The subjects in the controlled studies aren't reporting dramatic subjective benefits from cocoa flavanols. The scientists are seeing some benefits on laboratory tests.

I don't know about Manny, but it's obvious that some of the people on this forum probably need a good psychiatrist, a good therapist, or both. Others have unrealistic expectations of exceptional wellness and well-being.

Just my .000002 cents worth. Don't spend it all in the same place :)

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#37 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

It sill won't hurt to give anything a shot, just don't expect too much.

#38 Thew

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think it willl be clarified soon all the benefits of cocoa, and when the time comes, I should take it immediately. haha

• dislike x 1

#39 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

Recovery of Indicators of Mitochondrial Biogenesis, Oxidative Stress, and Aging With (-)-Epicatechin in Senile Mice.

Altogether, these data suggest that Epi[catechin] is capable of shifting the biology of S[enile] mice towards that of Y[oung] animals.

(-)-Epicatechin improves mitochondrial-related protein levels and ameliorates oxidative stress in dystrophic δ-sarcoglycan null mouse striated muscle.

In this study, we explored the capacity of the cacao flavonoid (-)-epicatechin (Epi)...The results showed significant normalization of total protein carbonylation, recovery of the glutathione/oxidized glutathione ratio and enhanced superoxide dismutase 2, catalase and citrate synthase activities with Epi treatment. These effects were accompanied by increases in the protein levels of thioredoxin, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase 2, catalase, and mitochondrial endpoints. Furthermore, we found decreases in heart and skeletal muscle fibrosis, accompanied by an improvement in skeletal muscle function, with treatment. These results warrant further investigation of Epi as a potential therapeutic agent to mitigate MD-associated muscle degeneration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25284161

(–)-Epicatechin enhances fatigue resistance and oxidative capacity in mouse muscle

We show here that mice fed for 15 days with (–)-epicatechin (present in dark chocolate) had improved exercise performance accompanied by: (1) an increased number of capillaries in the hindlimb muscle; and (2) an increased amount of muscle mitochondria as well as signalling for mitochondrial biogenesis.

In summary, we report the novel finding that 15 consecutive days of (–)-epicatechin treatment in 1-year-old mice notably increased treadmill performance and time to fatigue. To our knowledge this is the first study with (–)-epicatechin to integrate functional and clinically relevant physiological animal data with structural and morphological data from electron microscopy. This improvement in exercise capacity is likely to be the result of the pleiotropic effects of (–)-epicatechin at multiple levels including capillarity as well as mitochondrial content, structure and function. The effects reported on mitochondrial cristae abundance appear quite unique and deserve further investigation. In addition, the combination of (–)-epicatechin treatment and physical activity was shown to increase components of oxidative phosphorylation and capillarity above and beyond (–)-epicatechin treatment alone. These results, therefore, warrant the evaluation of the underlying mechanisms of action of (–)-epicatechin and its potential clinical application as an exercise mimetic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3208228/

Epicatechin is looking more and more interesting. In particular the comment in the third paper, that epicatechin might serve as an "exercise mimetic."

Edited by Turnbuckle, 13 November 2014 - 08:43 PM.

• like x 1

#40 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

Cocoa seems to give me terrible insomnia, even when taken in the early morning. I can't imagine my memory getting better with no sleep...

#41 Healthy Tony

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

Cocoa seems to give me terrible insomnia, even when taken in the early morning. I can't imagine my memory getting better with no sleep...

Perhaps you need a lower dose. What dosage were you taking and with what frequency?

#42 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Perhaps you need a lower dose. What dosage were you taking and with what frequency?

I was dumping a couple of big spoonfuls(probably a tablespoon or two of Navitas cocoa) into a drink, and only taking it on the weekends.

#43 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:43 AM

So I got some raw, unprocessed cacao powder from Amazon. In flavor, texture, smell and appearance, it is indistinguishable from the powdered unsweetened cocoa powder you can buy at any supermarket. The stuff I buy from Amazon costs about twice as much per ounce, plus shipping.

I can't help wondering... Is someone re-packaging ordinary cocoa powder, then fraudulently selling it as "raw" "unprocessed" "organic" and so on, at a huge profit?

Another theory is that the stuff you get in the grocery store is also raw and unprocessed, but not advertised that way.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

So I got some raw, unprocessed cacao powder from Amazon. In flavor, texture, smell and appearance, it is indistinguishable from the powdered unsweetened cocoa powder you can buy at any supermarket. The stuff I buy from Amazon costs about twice as much per ounce, plus shipping.

I can't help wondering... Is someone re-packaging ordinary cocoa powder, then fraudulently selling it as "raw" "unprocessed" "organic" and so on, at a huge profit?

Another theory is that the stuff you get in the grocery store is also raw and unprocessed, but not advertised that way.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

#44 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

This study isn't very useful. Not only does this study select a limited number of volunteers, but the fact that they're significantly aged might mean that younger brains won't be affected at all. it could help older brain cells temporarily behave like younger ones.

Anyways a lot more research is required

• Good Point x 1

#45 p3x888

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Well I can tell you this. I am in a country where cocoa is plentiful. I have access to both the alkalized powder and the non alkalized. The non is essentially straight from the bean. It looks nothing like the other. The taste is much harsher, not smooth, and it's a dark, almost black color. I take 5 of these tablets, each weighs 7.5 grams of pure cocoa (that should be about 300mg of flavanoids) and drop it in a blender. I add MCT oil and butter, and a butt load of Stevia. It's a very tasty drink and it has a an energizing affect on me. I have just started this much cocoa in the last week so i will report back after a month or so.

• Informative x 1

#46 The_Dude

• 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

Turnbuckle: Great find, but since we can't be sure of either the amount in each capsule or if there are other flavanols affecting the outcome of the study, I think a full spectrum cocoa extract would be the best option.

I will most likely begin supplementing this in the next week or so, and I will be sure to report my findings here.

Here is another one with a high level of mixed catechins, such as epicatechin. Very cheap, with reports on pubmed that it enhances memory.

The link above appears to be the cheapest source of epicatechin by far. (referring to this one:

Any idea what likely breakdown of catechin vs epicatechin would be? The product lists each capsule's contents as:

Acacia Extract (Acacia catechu) (heart wood) [standardized to 40% catechins (catechin, epicatechin)]

According to examine.com, a study shows that it is not just the epicatechin, but a synergistic combination in cocoa - so - Acacia extract will not replicate the effects of cocoa:

An in vitro study with human umbilical vascular endothelial cells stimulated with endothelial growth factor found that a combination of (-)-epicatechin, EGCG, and catechin at concetrations of 0.1-10μM (similar to the levels found in the serum after ingesting 40 grams of dark chocolate) lead to increased NO generation, whereas no effect was observed when each was used on its own. This is suggestive of additive or synergistic effects of catechin constituents in chocolate relative to (-)-epicatechin alone.[47]

#47 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

According to examine.com, a study shows that it is not just the epicatechin, but a synergistic combination in cocoa - so - Acacia extract will not replicate the effects of cocoa:

An in vitro study with human umbilical vascular endothelial cells stimulated with endothelial growth factor found that a combination of (-)-epicatechin, EGCG, and catechin at concetrations of 0.1-10μM (similar to the levels found in the serum after ingesting 40 grams of dark chocolate) lead to increased NO generation, whereas no effect was observed when each was used on its own. This is suggestive of additive or synergistic effects of catechin constituents in chocolate relative to (-)-epicatechin alone.[47]

Depends on what effects you want. The paper you refer to studied the effects on NO for those with peripheral artery disease. Other papers find positive effects on other measures for epicatechin alone.

• Ill informed x 1

#48 Balazs

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hi,

My first post.  After a cursory glance CocoaVia above reveals itself to be Mars.  The study in the first post was also funded by Mars.  Are any alarms going off knowing the state of the big pharma (and big food) as below?

http://www.ted.com/t...nce?language=en

http://www.ted.com/t..._they_prescribe

#49 The_Dude

• 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

Depends on what effects you want. The paper you refer to studied the effects on NO for those with peripheral artery disease. Other papers find positive effects on other measures for epicatechin alone.

Actually not for those with peripheral artery disease, because cocoa is one of the only supplements that increases NO in healthy subjects.

#50 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

Here is another one with a high level of mixed catechins, such as epicatechin. Very cheap, with reports on pubmed that it enhances memory.

The link above appears to be the cheapest source of epicatechin by far. (referring to this one:

Any idea what likely breakdown of catechin vs epicatechin would be? The product lists each capsule's contents as:

Acacia Extract (Acacia catechu) (heart wood) [standardized to 40% catechins (catechin, epicatechin)]

An in vitro study with human umbilical vascular endothelial cells stimulated with endothelial growth factor found that a combination of (-)-epicatechin, EGCG, and catechin at concetrations of 0.1-10μM (similar to the levels found in the serum after ingesting 40 grams of dark chocolate) lead to increased NO generation, whereas no effect was observed when each was used on its own. This is suggestive of additive or synergistic effects of catechin constituents in chocolate relative to (-)-epicatechin alone.[47]

Nitric Oxide also interrupts the reuptake of dopamine and can act as a selective NMDA-channel antagonist...that means you need N.O for dopamine to function properly, and it basically acts as a DRI; thus increasing dopamine in the synapse.

Neurochem Int. 2004 Sep;45(4):485-9.

Inhibitory effect of nitric oxide on dopamine transporters: interneuronal communication without receptors.
Abstract

Previously we observed that Nomega-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (l-NAME) decreased the striatal dopamine (DA) release in microdialysis experiments and this effect was completely diminished in the presence of the DA uptake inhibitor nomifensine, indicating that the effect was mediated via the DA transporter. The aim of the present work was to study the direct effect of nitrergic compounds on DA uptake. We measured the uptake of [3H]DA in striatal slices and found that the nitric oxide (NO) generator sodium nitroprussid (100 microM) decreased the uptake by 66%. In contrast, the NO synthase inhibitor L-NAME (100 microM) increased the DA uptake by 80%, while the inactive D-NAME had no effect on uptake. Our data indicate that NO exerts an inhibitory effect on DA transporters. Since the production of NO by neuronal NO synthase is closely related to the activation of NMDA receptors, the level of NO around synapses reflects the activity of glutamatergic neurotransmission. The strength of excitatory input, therefore, can be nonsynaptically signaled by NO to the surrounding dopaminergic neurons via the inhibitory tone on transporters. The concomitant elevation of DA concentration around the activated synapse represents the response of dopaminergic system, which can adapt to the changing excitatory activity without receiving glutamatergic input and without expressing glutamate receptors. Thus, the effect of NO on transporters represents a new form of interneuronal communication, a nonsynaptic interaction without receptors.

Copyright 2003 Elsevier Ltd.

PMID:   15186914   [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thus, glutamate stimulates neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) by mainly NMDA receptors , then nitric oxide antagonizes NMDA-channels/receptors (selectively) to negate it's own feedback, this then results in inhibition of DAT (dopamine transporter) resulting in more efficient dopaminergic neurotransmission!

Edited by Area-1255, 19 December 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#51 Balazs

• 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:45 AM

The "evidence" is let's say shaky.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25344629

#52 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:02 AM

Recovery of Indicators of Mitochondrial Biogenesis, Oxidative Stress, and Aging With (-)-Epicatechin in Senile Mice.

Altogether, these data suggest that Epi[catechin] is capable of shifting the biology of S[enile] mice towards that of Y[oung] animals.

(-)-Epicatechin improves mitochondrial-related protein levels and ameliorates oxidative stress in dystrophic δ-sarcoglycan null mouse striated muscle.

In this study, we explored the capacity of the cacao flavonoid (-)-epicatechin (Epi)...The results showed significant normalization of total protein carbonylation, recovery of the glutathione/oxidized glutathione ratio and enhanced superoxide dismutase 2, catalase and citrate synthase activities with Epi treatment. These effects were accompanied by increases in the protein levels of thioredoxin, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase 2, catalase, and mitochondrial endpoints. Furthermore, we found decreases in heart and skeletal muscle fibrosis, accompanied by an improvement in skeletal muscle function, with treatment. These results warrant further investigation of Epi as a potential therapeutic agent to mitigate MD-associated muscle degeneration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25284161

(–)-Epicatechin enhances fatigue resistance and oxidative capacity in mouse muscle

We show here that mice fed for 15 days with (–)-epicatechin (present in dark chocolate) had improved exercise performance accompanied by: (1) an increased number of capillaries in the hindlimb muscle; and (2) an increased amount of muscle mitochondria as well as signalling for mitochondrial biogenesis.

In summary, we report the novel finding that 15 consecutive days of (–)-epicatechin treatment in 1-year-old mice notably increased treadmill performance and time to fatigue. To our knowledge this is the first study with (–)-epicatechin to integrate functional and clinically relevant physiological animal data with structural and morphological data from electron microscopy. This improvement in exercise capacity is likely to be the result of the pleiotropic effects of (–)-epicatechin at multiple levels including capillarity as well as mitochondrial content, structure and function. The effects reported on mitochondrial cristae abundance appear quite unique and deserve further investigation. In addition, the combination of (–)-epicatechin treatment and physical activity was shown to increase components of oxidative phosphorylation and capillarity above and beyond (–)-epicatechin treatment alone. These results, therefore, warrant the evaluation of the underlying mechanisms of action of (–)-epicatechin and its potential clinical application as an exercise mimetic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3208228/

Epicatechin is looking more and more interesting. In particular the comment in the third paper, that epicatechin might serve as an "exercise mimetic."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17227057

It's also a histamine synthesis inhibitor AKA histidine decarboxylase (HDC) inhibitor . http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17227057

https://vikramsundar...ecarboxylation/

#53 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:43 AM

The "evidence" is let's say shaky.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25344629

What evidence are you saying is shaky?

Our findings [a high cocoa] flavanol intervention was found to enhance DG [dentate gyrus]  function, as measured by fMRI and by cognitive testing. Our findings establish that DG dysfunction is a driver of age-related cognitive decline and suggest non-pharmacological means for its amelioration.establish that DG dysfunction is a driver of age-related cognitive decline and suggest non-pharmacological means for its amelioration.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 19 December 2014 - 02:45 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#54 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:43 AM

I eat raw cacao nibs, I should be getting the same benefits?

"Since nibs are directly from the cocoa tree, they contain high amounts of theobromine." -wikipedia

#55 Balazs

• 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Sorry, i forgot to say see comments at the bottom of the page. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25344629
  • like x 1

#56 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

Regardless of whether chocolate has any benefits or not, it's still delicious! I just bought a 3 pound bag of 100% dark chocolate (unsweetened) at: http://www.santabarb...cao-medallions/

Eat chocolates because you like it and never mind the health benefits. Almost everything these days has some sort of "study" or "benefit" usually these studies are paid for by the companies themselves.

Anyone here know of other chocolate companies selling dark chocolates by the pound? Post it here so I can try them all out so I can compare.

Edited by eon, 19 December 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#57 p3x888

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

There is a difference between paying people to do a study and sponsoring a study to get done. My understanding is that Mars simply sponsored, they have an interest in this so they caused caused the study to be done. It doesn't mean that they would be able to influence the outcome.

Would those performing the study submit this for peer review and risk damaging their careers in doing so if the data was faulty? I am not saying they didn't do that, just posing the question.

#58 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

No company would put out a bad press if the study was negative (especially if company sponsored). When it comes to health, there is such a thing as bad press. 

"Sponsoring" could also mean someone got paid at some point, financially or with something else. Regardless, chocolate has been consumed forever so I think Mars simply want a study done as to prove something "scientifically".

There is a difference between paying people to do a study and sponsoring a study to get done. My understanding is that Mars simply sponsored, they have an interest in this so they caused caused the study to be done. It doesn't mean that they would be able to influence the outcome.

Would those performing the study submit this for peer review and risk damaging their careers in doing so if the data was faulty? I am not saying they didn't do that, just posing the question.

Edited by eon, 20 December 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#59 SuperStack

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

This doesn't pertain to any memory enhancing effects, but does anyone here make sure to use fair trade cocoa? I know that there has been many instances in which the cocoa trade has been abused and created an industrialized slavery market.
  • like x 2
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Regardless of whether chocolate has any benefits or not, it's still delicious! I just bought a 3 pound bag of 100% dark chocolate (unsweetened) at: http://www.santabarb...cao-medallions/

When it comes to epicatechin content, cocoa from different sources appears to vary widely. The four in this study varied by a factor of almost five. Sulawesian cocoa had the highest levels--

The epicatechin content of raw cocoa beans was in the range of 270 - 1235
mg/100 g cocoa beans. Based on the two assays, Sulawesian beans exhibited the highest antioxidant
capacity followed by Malaysian, Ghanaian and Cote d’Ivoirian beans for both extracts. Both ethanolic (r
= 0.92) and water (r = 0.90) extracts of cocoa beans showed a significant positive and high correlation
between epicatechin and TEAC value. Similarly, FRAP assay also showed a positive and high
correlation with epicatechin for both ethanolic (r = 0.84) and water (r = 0.79) extracts. Results indicated
that antioxidant capacity using two different antioxidant assays exhibited a positive and high
correlation with epicatechin content in cocoa beans. Thus, epicatechin content in cocoa beans could be
responsible for the antioxidant capacity.

In this study, Malaysian,
Ghanaian and Cote d’Ivoirian beans contained lower
epicatechin than Sulawesian beans. This could be due to
the degree of fermentation as all the studied cocoa beans
are fermented except for Sulawesian beans. Underfermentation
refers to the beans that are sun-dried
without fermentation or fermented for only 1 - 2 days
(Misnawi et al., 2002a). Fermentation process will reduce
the polyphenol content through oxidation and exudation
(Misnawi et al., 2002b)

• like x 2
  • Ill informed x 1