* * * * * 1 votes

Longvida curcumin

curcumin cognition longvida mood memory

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

Thanks to a posting by Cosmicalstorm, I found that 500 uM curcumin nearly doubles the proliferation rate of neural progenitor cells in vitro, over a period of 2 days. Higher concentrations progressively inhibit proliferation. So it would seem that neurological enhancement with Longvida may be due to more than just amyloid and heavy metal mitigation -- namely, neuron proliferation in the dentate gyrus. Personally, I've been struggling to explain the statistically significant uptick in immediate visual memory as measured by Lumosity. This would seem to be a plausible theory, given how rapidly Cmax saturates with Longvida (thanks, Anthony_Loera) For its part, the dentate gyrus is involved in environmental exploration and (visual?) episodic memory. The full study (from 2008!) is here.

Interestingly, the study found that most of the new cells had disappeared by 4 weeks postexposure, vs. 1 day; this appears to be consistent with the performance of lion's mane, which is known to upregulate neurogenesis via provision of NGF precursors. Presumably, periodic dosing is required to sustain cognitive benefits.

#62 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:30 AM

This is a very interesting paper I think all should read if you're using curcumin for neurotrophic purposes. According to the study, normal curcumin increased neurogenesis up to 0.5uM in vitro, and then reduced it after that. However their nano-formulation increased it up to and beyond 0.5uM. Even at ridiculous concentrations of 50uM the proliferation rates just return to baseline, unlike the poorly absorbed curcumin which reduce far below baseline. Perhaps even more exciting, it seems very very tiny amounts of nano curcumin 0.0015uM were enough to increase neurogenesis in comparison to normal curcumin.

Curcumin-Loaded Nanoparticles Potently Induce Adult Neurogenesis and Reverse Cognitive Deficits in Alzheimer’s Disease Model via Canonical Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway

http://pubs.acs.org/...nalCode=ancac3 

"However, the neuroprotective efficacy of curcumin

is limited by its poor brain bioavailability due to poor

absorption, rapid metabolism, systemic elimination,

and limited blood brain barrier (BBB) permeability.25

Several approaches have explored to increase curcumin

bioavailability including the use of adjuvants such

as piperine, liposomal curcumin, phospholipid curcumin

complexes, and structural analogues of curcumin.25

Biodegradable nanoparticle mediated delivery of curcumin

may be an excellent approach to enhance its

bioavailability in the brain, intracellular transport, and

sustained and controlled release. Nanoparticles may

increase the neuroprotective efficacy of curcumin and

reduce the dose required and, due to the smaller size

and high ingression power along with longer stability,

can readily transmigrate across the BBB without compromising

its integrity. Recent studies indicate that

delivery of nanotized compound is more effective than

its parent compound in the brain."

"Herein, we explored the neuroprotective efficacy

of curcumin-encapsulated biodegradable poly(lacticco-

glycolic acid) (PLGA) nanoparticles (Cur-PLGA-NPs)

compared to uncoated bulk curcumin (BC) on NSC

proliferation and neuronal differentiation in vitro and

in hippocampus and SVZ. We present a novel strategy

to differentiate NSC into neurons using Cur-PLGA-NPs,

which are able to release curcumin constantly and

slowly. We also for the first time elucidated the molecular

mechanisms underlying the canonical Wnt/

β-catenin pathway activation and glycogen synthase

kinase-3β (GSK-3β) inhibition by curcumin for the induction

of neurogenesis."

"We found no significant effects on cell viability by bulk

curcumin up to 0.5 μMas compared to control cultures.

We also found no significant effect on cell viability by

empty PLGA-NPs at all the doses studied (data not

shown). In contrast, Cur-PLGA-NPs significantly enhanced

the NSC proliferation at doses as low as 0.001 μM, with

the highest proliferation at 0.5 μM, which persisted

even at high concentration (50 μM). Treatment with

0.00150 μM Cur-PLGA-NPs significantly enhanced

the cell viability as compared to bulk curcumin."

-

So now for me the question is: do we go high or low dose when taking capsules to reach the coveted 0.5uM concentrations in the brain for the most neurotrophic effects? And how close do micelle formulations like NOVAsol come to approximating the effects of these custom made nanoparticles as used in the study?

Edited by jefferson, 19 July 2015 - 03:31 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Perhaps jefferson is onto something significant. So as not to derail this Longvida thread, he created a micelle curcumin thread here.

#64 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Interesting, but those Cur-PLGA-NPs were used in vitro or injected. With oral consumption, I doubt it is easy to get intact nanoparticles like that in the blood and tissues. And NovaSOL/MetaCurcumin is certainly not made for that.

Also curcumin from NovaSOL/MetaCurcumin couldn't be detected in the brain of Alzheimer mice. Possibly due to not getting enough free instead of metabolized curcumin in the blood.
http://novasolcurcum...t-Alzheimer.pdf

In spite of the vastly enhanced bioavailability of curcuminoids  from  micelles  which  was  recently  also demonstrated  in  humans  (8),  none  of  the  three curcuminoids was detectable in mouse brain tissue at the end  of  the  administration  period.  This  is  in  agreement with  our  previous  observations  in  mice  administered  50 mg native curcumin per kg bodyweight by gastric intubation,  in  which  no  curcumin  was  detectable  in  the brain 30, 60 or 90 min after administration (11). At present,  it  is  not  known  if  the  enhanced  oral bioavailability of the micellar curcumin [8] may have led transiently  to  sufficiently  high  concentrations  of curcumin to elicit biological activities in the brain.  Thus, very  small  curcumin  concentrations  and/or  curcumin metabolites  may  be  responsible  for  the  beneficial  effects of dietary curcumin on mitochondrial function. Therefore a modulation of transcription factors, enzyme activities or gene expression seems to be more likely as a mechanism of  action  for  curcumin  than  a  direct  antioxidative  effect (5, 16).

#65 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

Has Longvida been proven to make it into the brain at detectable levels and have a study to prove it? From the same paper, it still appears though that micelle curcumin might be good for Alzheimer's, even if it's not affecting neural stem cell proliferation like the nano-particles from the previous study.

In conclusion, daily consumption of micellar curcumin for three weeks resulted in plasma concentrations of total curcuminoids in excess of 500 nmol/L, reduced Aβ burden in the brain and improved mitochondrial function in isolated mitochondria and dissociated brain cells in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Micellar curcumin may thus be an interesting candidate for future human trials with people at risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.

It seems that even at undetectable levels, curcumin is able to act upon the brain in positive ways through yet unknown methods, which makes me think the free vs metabolized curcumin debate may be missing the forest for the trees. This converges with a couple other studies looking at raw curcumin used in major depression at 1-2g, a dose which also would never make it into the brain, yet still somehow beats out placebo for treating depression.

Edited by jefferson, 22 July 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#66 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Curcumin from Longvida did make it to the brain of alzheimer mice(hTau) at detectable levels.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3567657/

The diketone bridge of the biphenolic curcumin molecule is essential for anti-amyloidogenic effects in APPsw AD models (25). Because it binds β-sheet structures, including NFTs (34) and co-crystallizes with the β-sheet core of Tau (23), we sought to determine whether curcumin disrupts Tau aggregation and/or pathogenesis. Consistent with blood-brain barrier penetration, curcumin levels in the cerebellum were measured by LC/MS/MS (25) in a subset of mice and were 198.3 nM ± 5.9 for curcumin-fed hTau mice (n = 7) compared with non-detectable levels in control diet-fed hTau mice (n = 3). Curcumin reduced levels of soluble ∼140-kDa Tau dimers in TBS fractions detected by PHF-1, anti-Tau Ser(P)422, and anti-total Tau (Fig. 1, A–D). However, curcumin did not alter soluble monomeric (∼52–75 kDa) p-Tau or total Tau, nor did it alter insoluble Tau levels measured from lysis and SDS fractions (Fig. 1, E–O).

I know even normal curcumin powder can do all sorts of usefull stuff in mice and humans and I would certainly not consider it bad or useless in most cases. But the problem is that in humans, normal curcumin powder failed miserably to effect Alzheimer. If any brain concentration is going to work against active Alzheimer in humans, its not going to be an undetectably low concentration.

#67 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

The powder is probably inferior to the fresh Turmeric root. I wonder why so many Curcumin people are so obsessed with either the powder or expensive supplements. The roots are dirt cheap and probably deliver as much curcumin (and a bunch of other poorly investigated substances that have synergistic effects with curcumin, such as Turmerone oils) into the tissues as many supplements but since you can not make any money of them the research community has reacted with uninterest.

I mix chopped roots with some fresh ginger, olive oil, black pepper, curry powder and a little itsy bitsy sip of alcohol (ethanol seems to improve absorption) and I do think this combo might be an excellent preventative tonic for a number of ailments.

Attached Files

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#68 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

Interesting, can you tell me how much Longvida that rats were consuming and how that might translate to humans?

#69 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

The powder is probably inferior to the fresh Turmeric root. I wonder why so many Curcumin people are so obsessed with either the powder or expensive supplements. The roots are dirt cheap and probably deliver as much curcumin (and a bunch of other poorly investigated substances that have synergistic effects with curcumin, such as Turmerone oils) into the tissues as many supplements but since you can not make any money of them the research community has reacted with uninterest.

I mix chopped roots with some fresh ginger, olive oil, black pepper, curry powder and a little itsy bitsy sip of alcohol (ethanol seems to improve absorption) and I do think this combo might be an excellent preventative tonic for a number of ailments.

It's largely convenience. A 1-gram capsule of curcumin powder is quite cheap and is trivial to take with a meal, and it's the equivalent of 30-50 grams of turmeric. Preparing and consuming even that much turmeric every day would be quite a chore. A little of that spice goes a long long way.

I agree in principle that turmeric is probably a better choice for general wellness or staving off the onset of Alzheimer's in the future. I don't recommend that people consume disproportionate amounts of certain phytonutrients without a good reason. But for therapeutic purposes against diagnosed Alzheimer's or cancer, I'm not sure it's practical.

• Agree x 1

#70 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Of course, if you suffer from a terrible illness I don't mind. Margarets corner has made that point for me. But I am talking specifically to those who whish to prevent illness when I say that I believe the Turmeric root might be superior for that purpose due to various synergies. But it will not be investigated due to the unfortunate fact that you can not patent it and sell it for profit.

#71 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

Interesting, can you tell me how much Longvida that rats were consuming and how that might translate to humans?

The food was 500 ppm curcumin and longvida is 1/5 curcumin so 2.5mg longvida/g food. Mice eat about 15g/100g body weight so thats 375mg longvida/kg body weight. If we use a mouse human interspecies scaling of 1/12, that could easily be total nonsense in this case, we get 31.25 mg/kg. So for a 60-70kg human that would be around 2 gram or 4 capsules of 500mg longvida.

In the clinical trial for people at risk for Alzheimer, they are going to use twice as much as that(4 capsules twice a day).
https://clinicaltria...how/NCT01811381

• Informative x 2

#72 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

;)

Curcumin-free turmeric exhibits anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities: Identification of novel components of turmeric
  1. Bharat B. Aggarwal1,*,
  2. Wei Yuan2,
  3. Shiyou Li2 and
  4. Subash C. Gupta1

Article first published online: 12 JUL 2013

DOI: 10.1002/mnfr.201200838

Keywords:
  • Apoptosis;
  • Cancer;
  • Inflammation;
  • Turmeric;
  • Turmeric components

Turmeric, a dried powder derived from the rhizome of Curcuma longa, has been used for centuries in certain parts of the world and has been linked to numerous biological activities including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antigrowth, anti-arthritic, anti-atherosclerotic, antidepressant, anti-aging, antidiabetic, antimicrobial, wound healing, and memory-enhancing activities. One component of turmeric is curcumin, which has been extensively studied, as indicated by more than 5600 citations, most of which have appeared within the past decade. Recent research has identified numerous chemical entities from turmeric other than curcumin. It is unclear whether all of the activities ascribed to turmeric are due to curcumin or whether other compounds in turmeric can manifest these activities uniquely, additively, or synergistically with curcumin. However, studies have indicated that turmeric oil, present in turmeric, can enhance the bioavailability of curcumin. Studies over the past decade have indicated that curcumin-free turmeric (CFT) components possess numerous biological activities including anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antidiabetic activities. Elemene derived from turmeric is approved in China for the treatment of cancer. The current review focuses on the anticancer and anti-inflammatory activities exhibited by CFT and by some individual components of turmeric, including turmerin, turmerone, elemene, furanodiene, curdione, bisacurone, cyclocurcumin, calebin A, and germacrone.

#73 Adam Kadmon

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

is everyone forgetting that pesky study?

Curcumin induces senescence of primary human cells building the vasculature in a DNA damage and ATM-independent manner

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4315775/

I have a degenerating bottom disc in my back which is murder and curcumin had been hellping that but having read this study I quit it..   

why is that hasty?

#74 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

is everyone forgetting that pesky study?

Curcumin induces senescence of primary human cells building the vasculature in a DNA damage and ATM-independent manner

I have a degenerating bottom disc in my back which is murder and curcumin had been hellping that but having read this study I quit it..   

why is that hasty?

I have not forgotten about that. My rationale for Turmeric roots is to delay cancer which seems to be the biggest early-killer threat in my eyes. I don't expect curcumin to slow down global aging.

I also stay with powder and roots to avoid this issue, which seemed to show up mostly with very high dosages.

When talking about senescence it's worth keeping in mind that ablation of such cells is likely to be the first widely available anti-aging therapy. In fact, we have some people on this forum who may well already have removed some of their senescent cells with the Dasatinib+Quercetin combo. On the other hand, cancer is probably a decade or two away from becoming a neglible threat.

• like x 1

#75 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

Yeah but what's the implication of that senescence study? That curcumin could in some way cause cardiovascular problems? There seems to be a significant body of evidence that curcumin and turmeric are in fact heart healthy. This article mentions two studies in humans that showed very significant benefits. I haven't looked at the original publications behind these two studies, but the writeup looks impressive.

http://www.greenmedi...rful-exercise-a

• like x 1

#76 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

Nrf2 and the promotion of atherosclerosis:
lessons to be learned
“...it seems clear that Nrf2 expression can promote atherosclerosis via systemic and/or
vascular local effects... despite its antioxidant actions. Therefore, should the strategy to
boost endogenous antioxidant protection via Nrf2 expression be abandoned?”

http://www.futuremed...0.2217/clp.12.5

There has been some debate about the effects on athersclerosis when moving into the Nrf2 domain. The issue is certainly not clear cut.

• Informative x 1

#77 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

The U.S. government, through the department of veteran's affairs who apparently funded UCLA owns the patent and that only longvida (verdue sciences) has permission to use.

If longvida is coupling curcumin with DHA (like the patent mentions in one embodiment) in order to target cancer and Alzheimer's, then it could make PD cases worse since DHA causes the mis-folding a-syn protein to spread. Only 2 of their 6 formulation possibilities in the patent do not contain DHA.

The patent gives many options for making your own absorbable curcumin (use half curcumin and half tetrahydrocurcumin, mix it with vitamin C, olive oil, and peperine). They do not like peperine only because it may interfere with other drugs people are taking as stated in the patent, not because it does not help. They state tetrahydrocurcumin is 6 to 7 times better absorbed than curcumin, and synergizes with regular curcumin.

They state "Our data shows that when curcumin is dissolved in oil, plasma curcumin remains low, but red blood cell curcumin is quite high, which explains bioavailability despite negligible plasma levels. No other group has reported this fundamental observation that appears to be the simplest method of enhancing bioavailability. " Notice that do not say it requires any special formulation, just curcumin and oil, like in an Indian meal.

So it might be that special formulations are not needed at all: just mix with oil and it has always been there in people's red blood cells and researchers just couldn't see it. So now I might be changing my mind about curcumin (not longvida). It's half price to take 70 times more curcumin than longvida contains (only 80 mg per pill) in order to get a stronger dose, but if the primary delivery is through red blood cells, then longvida is no better than curcumin mixed with oil by the patent holder's own statements.

Filing a freedom-of-information act request through the government's website might obtain the exact formulation longvida is using, more data on this red blood cell surprise, and to get the full UCLA paper for free, not to mention all the emails between UCLA and verdue sciences (longvida).

patent:
http://www.google.co...1993365B1?cl=en
  • Informative x 1

#78 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

Longvida contains only 80 mg curcumin in 500 mg pills, and a paper suggests 8 per day. That's 640 mg per day, about $5 per day. Longvida says it is 68 times more bioavailable, presumably in plasma. The patent says tetrahydrocurcumin is 7 to 8 times more bioavailable than curcumin and it costs only $0.50 per 1000 mg on alibaba. The patent says mixing with 1:1 with curcumin, 10:1 vitamin C, olive oil, and pepper improves upon this. Tetrahydrocurcumin is more bioavailable in the blood, but not brain, so there are reasons you have to mix it with curcumin. Also it would be good if you can esterify a fatty acid or other acyl group. Then their is their "lipid micelles and microencapsulated oils" procedures.

If you can't esterify or microencapsulate, then the tetra:curcumin, vit C, oil, pepper mixture may give only 10 times more than curcumin, which is 7 times less than longvida and cost 20 times less. Instead of taking 4g longvida (640 mg curcumin), it would be about 6 g plus the oil. With turmeric in a meal would be good.

Filing a freedom-of-information act request through the government's website might obtain the exact formulation longvida is using, more data on this red blood cell surprise, and to get the full UCLA paper for free, not to mention all the emails between UCLA and verdue sciences (longvida).

Interesting quotes from the U.S. government (UCLA) patent that verdue science (longvida) uses:
patent:http://www.google.co...1993365B1?cl=en

where the curcuminoid is tetrahydrocurcumin, which is stable even at alkaline pH, the antioxidant may be dispensed with

Tetrahydrocurcumin is relatively stable in water at physiologic pH, is a competitive inhibitor of glucuronidation, and enhances absorption and, ultimately, plasma levels of curcumin.

To protect the curcuminoid against hydrolysis, a water-soluble antioxidant is employed. Nonlimiting examples include ascorbic acid (ascorbate, vitamin C and its acylated fat soluble derivatives), α-lipoic acid (alpha-lipoate), vitamin E and derivatives, N-acetylcysteine (NAC), and reduced glutathione (GSH). Even tetrahydrocurcumin provides curcumin some protection against hydrolysis. Mixtures of antioxidants also can be used,

Most previous efforts to explain curcumin's poor bioavailability have focused on rapid glucuronidation. However, tetrahydrocurcumin and curcumin are similarly hydrophobic and poorly soluble in water, and similarly rapidly glucuronidated and sulfated. Nevertheless, our data and data in the literature show that tetrahydrocurcumin is much more bioavailable than curcumin, with plasma levels from the same oral doses that are 7-8 times higher. The improved bioavailability of tetrahydrocurcumin is largely attributed to the fact that it is stable even at basic pH. In contrast, curcumin is unstable in aqueous solutions above pH 7.0 and therefore unstable in the intestinal tract where most absorption occurs. It hydrolyzes to ferulic acid and vanillin breakdown products. A preparation that stabilizes curcumin at slightly more basic pH is predicted to increase bioavailabilily of solubilized curcumin by as much as 7-8 fold. Combining curcumin with an additional water soluble antioxidant, for example ascorbate, can stabilize curcumin at pH 7.4.

We have tested serial dilutions of ascorbate and find stabilization is effective out to 4 hours (a typical absorption cycle), with curcumin:ascorbate ratios as high as 16: 1, with some small decline in efficacy between 8:1 and 16:1. Therefore, providing a curcuminoid-to-antioxidant ratio of about 10:1 or higher should be sufficient to prevent hydrolysis during absorption, and enhance bioavailability. As one nonlimiting example, a preparation containing 330 mg of curcumin (MW 368) would have only an additional 17.75 mg of ascorbate (MW 198). Thus, additional antioxidant need not add prohibitively to the bulk of a formulation.

Nonlimiting examples of glucuronidation inhibitors include tetrahydrocurcumin, piperine (Bioperine®), probencid (Probene®), and diclofenac.

Tetrahydrocurcumin, which gives 7- 8 times higher levels, is predicted to be much more available, more stable, and therefore, more effective than curcumin, and tetrahydrocurcumin is predicted to protect curcumin from glucuronidation. Further, our in vitro bioassay data show that, at 1:1 ratios, tetrahydrocurcumin and curcumin synergize together in vitro. Therefore, formulating tetrahydrocurcumin with curcumin with 1:1 or higher molar ratios of tetrahydrocurcumin to curcumin will improve bioavailability of curcumin and provide synergistic efficacy.

Glucuronidation and sulfation of curcuminoids can also be inhibited by esterifying a fatty acid or other acyl group to one or both hydroxyls in the two methoxyphenol groups that are the targets of rapid enzymatic glucuronidation and sulfation. The blocking ester groups will then be removed from the prodrug curcuminoid ester in vivo by esterases in the target tissues, releasing free curcumin. In principle, any fatty acid can be used for esterification.

The curcuminoid is solubilized using any of a number of water-solubilizing carriers. As used herein," water-solubilizing carrier" refers to an agent, composition, compound, or medium that provides a curcuminoid in a more water-soluble or water-dispersible form, or that interacts with the curcuminoid to impart greater water solubility or dispersibility. Broadly, two nonlimiting categories of carriers include lipid micelles and microencapsulated oils. (In another embodiment of the invention, the composition is provided as solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs))

Lipids micelles containing a curcuminoid can be made with any of a variety of lipids. Nonlimiting examples include (i) fatty acids, e.g., stearic acid; (ii) phospholipids, for example, phosphoglycerides, e.g., phosphatidyl choline ("PC"), phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylinositol; (iii) bile acids, e.g., deoxycholic acid (deoxycholate) and conjugates thereof (e.g., amino acid conjugates, such as glycocholate and taurocholate); (iv) edible oils, especially healthful oils, e.g., vegetable oils, olive oil, canola oil, fish oil;(iv triacylglycerols; (vi) mixtures of any of these and/or other lipids and derivatives, e.g., pharmaceutically acceptable salts, hydrates, and conjugates thereof. The combination of a phospholipid (e.g., PC or Soy lecithin or Egg lecithin) and another surfactant -- such as bile acid/salt (e.g., deoxycholate, taurocholate), Ethylene oxide/propylene oxide copolymers (Poloxamer 188, Polosamer 182, Poloxamer 407, Poloxamine 908), or Sorbitan ethylene oxide/propylene oxide copolymers (Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate a60, Polysorbate 80)) is particularly useful. Other useful lipids include natural lecithin, (a mixture of glycolipids, triglycerides, and phospholipids, including PC). In general, longer chain compounds are preferred over short chain compounds when the composition is provided as an emulsion.

Nonlimiting examples of suitable surfactants include: Phospholipids, e.g., soy lecithin, egg lecithin, phosphatidylcholine; ethylene oxide/propylene oxide copolymers, e.g., Poloxamer 188, Poloxamer 182, Poloxamer 407, Poloxamine 908; sorbitan ethylene oxide/propylene oxide copolymers, e.g., Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 80; alkylaryl polyether alcohol polymers, e.g., tyloxapol

Nonlimiting examples of suitable co-surfactants include: Sodium cholate, sodium glycocholate, sodium taurocholate, sodium taurodeoxycholate.

It is also possible to form lipid micelles in vivo by, e.g., dissolving a curcuminoid in an injestible oil, adding an antioxidant and glucuronidation inhibitor; microencapsulating the combined components, and allowing bile acids to form micelles in vivo.

Thus, one example of a practical formulation combining all 3 principles (solubilization with lipid, protection with antioxidant, and competitive inhibition and synergy with tetrahydrocurcumin), for humans would be 165 mg curcumin, 165 mg tetrahydrocurcumin, 17.7 mg of stabilizing antioxidant ( ascorbate, lipoate, NAC, GSH etc) and the rest DOC/PC micelles as above or as other amphiphilic lipids, for a 1 gm capsule.

Curcumin, docosahexaenoic acid, an antioxidant or antioxidant mix (vitamin C or lipodated vitamin C, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin E). Our data shows that when curcumin is dissolved in oil, plasma curcumin remains low, but red blood cell curcumin is quite high, which explains bioavailability despite negligible plasma levels. No other group has reported this fundamental observation that appears to be the simplest method of enhancing bioavailability. Other healthful oils can be used (fish oil, canola oil, other high omega-3 oil). In this formulation, curcumin in oil can be microencapsulated.

Inclusion of a solubilizing lipid greatly enhances the plasma and red blood cell levels of curcumin. In one experiment, 1:1 DHA:lecithin micelles were prepared, putting curcumin in hot DHA (55° C) and sonicating to disperse Curcumin delivered by PC-DHA micelles (but without an antioxidant or separate gluronidation inhibitor), and a curcumin concentration of 0.29 Mg/ml plasma and 0.96 in red blood cells was achieved (0.8 and 2.6 mm respectively). In contrast, using the Sabinsa formulation (with piperine, but no water-solubilizing carrier) yielded a curcumin concentration of 0.17 Mg/ml in plasma (0.46 mm). Long chain fatty acids, particularly unsaturated ones like DHA, have added value in routing lopohilic drugs to the lymphatics and reducing high first-pass losses.
  • Informative x 3

#79 Adam Kadmon

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Again I refer curcumin advocates to this study;

Curcumin induces senescence of primary human cells building the vasculature

From reading this I have ceased all curcumin intake  for months now..   

From what I have read concerning  concentraions tested in this study they are by no means any different than those obtained with even  straight Longvida intake never mind trying to  increase concetrations..

This doesn't sound like an insignifigant finding and  I would be worried  using these potent curcumin   suppliments..  

Maybe when turmeric is part of a life long dietary intake it has enough of a benefit

#80 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

From what I have read concerning  concentraions tested in this study they are by no means any different than those obtained with even  straight Longvida intake never mind trying to  increase concetrations..

This doesn't sound like an insignifigant finding and  I would be worried  using these potent curcumin   suppliments..  

Maybe when turmeric is part of a life long dietary intake it has enough of a benefit

Being in my 20's, I'll take my chances. I'm not taking it for longevity, I'm taking it for possible neural anti-inflammatory and antidepressive effects, the potential benefits of which very likely outweigh the negatives of more senescent cells floating around for me.

Edited by jefferson, 08 September 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#81 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

In the short term a malignant tumor seems like a much worse threat than senescent cells (which starts the real haunting at advanced age and can already be cleared to some degree with current immature therapies of Senolytica). I eat Turmeric roots (100g/week) and some capsules of Meriva and Longvida every once in a while.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#82 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Adam, I don't think you need to worry about this.  The effect of a drug on a receptor system is dependent on concentration as well as time.  In this paper, they used concentrations of as much as 15 micromolar  (uM).  The naked cells were soaked in this solution for three to as much as 7 days.  If you look at the pharmacokinetic data from human subjects taking various forms of curcumin, the maximum concentration (C Max) reached in plasma was rarely over 1 uM.  (1000 nM = 1 uM)  That maximum is reached only transiently, and quickly drops below the maximum.  In the above paper, they didn't start seeing an effect from the curcumin soak until concentrations got above 1 uM.  In the body, the cells have less exposure to the plasma because they are in a matrix of other cells, so that's another factor arguing against this being a problem. 

• like x 5
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin, cognition, longvida, mood, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users