Why No Discussion of MitoTEMPO?

mitotempo sod superoxide

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

Why is there no discussion going on here about MitoTEMPO, which is apparently an engineered substance intended to mimic superoxide dismutase (SOD)?    There is pretty interesting research showing it to stop metastasis in cancer:

http://www.science20..._horizon-142136

Has anyone ever used it in human trials?   Are there known negative side effects?

You would think it would have a role in anti aging if it could control excess superoxide levels without significant dysregulation of the body's endogenous SOD.   Seems like you would have to balance it with the right catalase levels to prevent excess hydrogen peroxide.

• like x 3

#2 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

I was just looking at MitoTEMPO and thought I would resurrect this old thread. It's still being studied. It seems to do lots of good things. it seems to be one of those things that's often used as a positive control because it works.

Here's just a few from this year:

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Excuse my ignorance, I wasn't unable to track the information. What is the difference between MitoTEMPO and GliSODin, which was reported to shut down the endogenous production of SOD? For example, here, by the OP:

Blood Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Decrease Following Oral Administration of Plant SOD to Healthy Subjects
Kinoyama, M. Nitta, H. Hara, S. Watanabe, A. Shirao, K.

Pages 612-613

Smokers and sportspeople who are easily affected by oxidative stress need to ingest sufficient quantities of foods including antioxidant minerals (Cu, Zn, Fe, Se) in order to replenish the coenzymes of antioxidant enzymes (SOD, glutathione peroxidase, catalase, etc) and antioxidant vitamins (C and E). However, it will be necessary to show further scientific evidences as to whether there is any need for ingestion of antioxidant health foods containing plant SOD.

Source: Journal of Health Science, 53(5) 608-614 (2007)

This is a very interesting study, and here is full study:
https://www.jstage.j...5/53_5_608/_pdf

The interesting findings of this study are that even one day after ending the SOD supplementation:

1) SOD levels measured in the blood were LOWER than the levels prior to supplementation.

2) Whereas SOD levels had a very wide range of 2.8 to 8.5 U/ml prior to supplementation, after supplementation the range narrowed to 2.1 to 2.9!! Imagine being the person with endogenous levels around 8.5, and after supplementing you crash to <2.8!

3) The markers of oxidative stress went UP not down, at end of supplementation.

What I don't understand is why they did not measure these things every day during the study period to understand the trend. Had the body already compensated its endogenous production before they stopped taking the supplement, or was it only after stopping that the crash in SOD levels happened?

This is a very surprising result, and it makes me think that supplementing SOD without carefully monitoring your SOD levels before and after supplementing is a flat out mistake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitotempo, sod, superoxide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users