tetrahydroharmine upregulation of serotonin receptors

brain health nootropics serotonin anti-depressant properites

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sarah20

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Has anyone else read the Ayahuasca study by Dr. Callaway in which he extracted the tetrahydroharmine from caapi, gave it to himself for several days, and then did a cat-scan of his brain? He then noticed that his own brain grew new serotonin receptor platelets over those several days--quite remarkable imho.

I have been experimenting with a 'pure alkaloid caapi extract' of 295mg (that contains 135mg tetrahydroharmine, just google the words in quotes), around seven dollars or so, taking it once every couple weeks, and noticed positive changes in my mood, behavior, very improved energy levels, and sleeping patterns, all for the good, and wonder if my own brain has been growing extra serotonin receptors over this time period? A caapi brew or extract seems to impart positive mood and energy benefits for a good 11 hours or so, which is why I take it early in the am once a week to once every 2 weeks, the benefits can be felt the next day as well, quite remarkable anti-depressant properties as well during this 11 hour time frame, but then I've read the half-life of tetrahydroharmine is 660 minutes or so. I typically go walking in nature for 1 to 2 hours about 4 hours after taking a caapi brew or extract, energy levels are great during this time, lasting the entire rest of the day with what seems to me to be not only increased energy, but increased attention to nature during this time, introspection is higher, and very positive mood changes for the rest of the day, lasting until late at night, even felt the next day, like a "reset" button had been pressed in the neural functions of the brain, a very re-freshed and energized feeling.

Corny as it may sound, I've also noticed increased perception of music, sounds, visual activity, & emotional attention during these 11 hours, very similar to when I have used the smart drug oxiracetam in the past, but greater in sensitivity. My problem solving capabilities were greatly increased as well during this period, hands down a very much important but overlooked smart nutrient straight from the Amazon Jungles. I attribute the smart nutirent brain enhancing tools of the extract to the tetrahydroharmine, as the harmine and tiny amounts of harmaline had long ago worn off each time, as their half-life is fairly short, 4 hours as compared to the 11 hours of tetrahydroharmine.

Keep in mind that anyone working with caapi or it's natural ingredients should never combine the brew or extracts with SSRI's, other anti-depressants, any stimulants like cold or cough medicines, amp's, etc. coffee was ok when I used it, as I am a habitual coffee drinker, but anyone new to caffeine should refrain as well, I usually wait about 2 hours after drinking coffee to work with the brew or it's extracts. I don't take any other drugs, only coffee in the morning with a few vitamins.

Apparently, people who drink caapi every 2 weeks in the UDV and Santo Daime Christian based Churches have been interviewed by Dr. Callaway in the mentioned study, (many of them professional people like Doctors and Lawyers)...and many of the members commented on how they were cured of long-lasting alcohol and drug additions for good, even violent behaviors were sub-dued, quite interesting....it seems like many of the ingredients in the brew or extracts have positive smart-nutrient like behaviors, being able to grow entirely new serotonin receptors, abate bad behaviors, and cure drug addictions.

Here is a link to the study where Callaway analyzes his own brain after taking thh extracted from caapi:

https://www.erowid.o..._journal3.shtml

hxxps://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca_journal3.shtml

Edited by sarah20, 18 February 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#2 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

From the study on caapi brews:

Assessment of Serotonergic Functions in Long-term Users of Hoasca (Callaway, et al., 1994)

Another objective of the study was to investigate whether long-term use of hoasca resulted in any identifiable "biochemical marker" that was correlated with hoasca consumption, particularly with respect to serotonergic functions, since the hoasca alkaloids primarily affect functions mediated by this neurotransmitter. Ideally, such a study could be carried out on post-mortem brains; since this was not possible, we settled on looking at serotonin transporter receptors in blood platelets, using [3H]-citalopram to label the receptors in binding assays. The up-or down regulation of peripheral platelet receptors is considered indicative of similar biochemical events occuring in the brain, although there is some controversy about the correlation between platelet receptor changes and changes in CNS receptors in patients receiving antidepressant medications (Stahl, 1977; Pletscher and Laubscher, 1980; Rotman, 1980);. However, platelet receptors were deemed suitable for the purposes of our study, as our objective was not to resolve this controversy but simply to determine if some kind of long-term biochemical marker could be identified. Neither did we postulate any conclusions about the possible "adverse" or "beneficial" implications of such a marker, if detected. We conducted the assays on platelets collected from the same group of 15 volunteers after they had abstained from consuming the tea for a period of one week. We also collected platelet specimens from the age-matched controls who were not hoasca drinkers. We were surprised to find a significant up-regulation in the density of the citalopram binding sites in the hoasca drinkers compared to control subjects. While the hoasca drinkers had a higher density of receptors, there was no change in the affinity of the receptors for the labelled citalopram. The significance of this finding, if any, is unclear. There is no other pharmacological agent which is known to cause a similar upregulation, although chronic administration of 5-HT uptake inhibitors has been reported to decrease both Bmax (the density of binding sites) and 5-HT transporter RNA in rats (Hrinda 1987; Lesch et al., 1993). Increases in Bmax for the uptake site in human platelets have been correlated with old age (Marazziti et al, 1989) and also to the dark phase of the circadian cycle in rabbits (Rocca et al., 1989). It has been speculated (Marazziti et al, 1989) that upregulation of 5-HT uptake sites in the aged may be related to the natural course of neuronal decline. Although our sample size was limited, we found no correlation with age, and the mean age of the sample was 38 years. Also, none of our subjects showed evidence of any neurological or psychiatric deficit. In fact, in view of their exceptionally healthy psychological profiles, one of the investigators speculated that perhaps the serotonergic upregulation is associated, not simply with age, but with "wisdom" -- a characteristic often found in the aged, and in many hoasca drinkers.

Another interesting self-experiment related to this finding was carried out by one of the investigators, Jace Callaway, following his return to Finland after the field phase of the study was completed. Dr. Callaway has access to Single Photon Emission Computerized Tomography (SPECT) scanning facilities in the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Kuopio. Suspecting that the causative agent of the unexpected upregulation might be tetrahydroharmine (THH), Dr. Callaway took SPECT scans of his own brain 5-HT uptake receptors prior to beginning a six week course of daily dosing with tetrahydroharmine, repeating the scan after the treatment period. He did indeed find that the density of central 5-HT receptors in the prefrontal cortex had increased; when he discontinued THH, their density gradually returned to previous levels over the course of several weeks. While this experiment only had one subject, if it is indicative of a general effect of THH that can be replicated and confirmed, the implications are potentially significant. A severe deficit of 5-HT uptake sites in the frontal cortex has been found to be correlated with aggressive disorders in violent alcoholics; if THH is able to specifically reverse this deficit, it may have applications in the treatment of this syndrome. These findings are especially interesting when viewed in the context of the psychological data collected in the hoasca study (Grob, et al., 1996). The majority of the subjects had had a previous history of alcoholism, and many had displayed violent behavior in the years prior to joining the UDV; virtually all attributed their recovery and change in behavior to their use of hoasca tea in the UDV rituals. While it can be argued that their reformation was due to the supportive social and psychological environment found within the UDV, the finding of this long-term change in precisely the serotonin system that is deficient in violent alcoholism, argues that biochemical factors may also play a role

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

If You are interrested in other ways to increase Serotonine receptors:

Antidepressant-like effect of ethanol extract from Zuojin Pill, containing two herbal drugs of Rhizoma Coptidis and Fructus Evodiae, is explained by modulating the monoaminergic neurotransmitter system in mice.

Furthermore, the alkaloids from the two herbs in ZJP may provide a protective effect for depression in individuals with a low expressing 5-HTT allele by increasing receptor concentration in serotonergic neurons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23702040

So even if Youre genetically or epigenetically destined to express lower serotonine receptors, this might help.

• Informative x 1

#4 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Flex, much appreciated, gonna research and check out the ethanol extract of Zuojin and the herbs in ZJP like you mentioned, always on the lookout for serotonin enhancing supplements.

p.s. got the best effects by using the 170mg tetrahydroharmine containing natural extract of caapi leaf, it was the caapi blossom pure alkaloid leaf extract but I would recommend using it very early in the morning, as the healing effects easily lasted all morning & afternoon (and into the night) long. I read this at their "FAQ" section:

Callaway botanical Ref: page 152 Volume 37 (2) June 2005: variations in alkaloid profiles of Vegetal caapi:
entry----harmine----thh----------harmaline
(1)-------172mg-----183mg------9mg
(4)-------261mg-----199mg-----10mg
(6)-------239mg-----194mg------8mg
(7)-------158mg-----127mg------5mg
(9)-------158mg-----123mg------4mg
(14)------196mg-----181mg-----23mg
(18)------180mg-----163mg-----30mg
(20)------183mg-----147mg------1mg
(22)------198mg-----168mg------1mg
(29)------180mg-----163mg------1mg
Callaway botanical Ref: 1998
(1)-------170mg------107mg-----20mg

Callaway botanical Ref: page 152 Volume 37 (2) June 2005: variations in alkaloid profiles of Vegetal caapi:
entry-----harmine----thh----------harmaline
(2)--------97mg------210mg------8mg
(3)--------87mg------174mg------7mg
(5)--------98mg------179mg------8mg

Edited by sarah20, 19 February 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#5 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have had some pm's about the products they caary being "hidden". It's because their website forces them to hide their products when they go out of stock. They typically offer 50 of each extracts for sale, 100 at a time, but I have seen them sell out of all of these in just days, when it takes them 2 weeks to re-stock. They will have more in stock on Fri Feb 27th according to the FAQ on their page.

Just google "pure alkaloid caapi extracts" to find the 290mg vine and 295mg leaf extract, around seven bucks, and 1 free extract with purchase, comes out to four bucks per extract.

My favorite is one half of caapi spirit extract added to one half of a blossom caapi leaf extract, the alkaloid profile looks like this: 135mg harmine, 153mg tetrahydroharmine, and 5mg harmaline.

#6 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Um, sorry for prying, but have you noticed any deleterious effects on libido?

#7 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

ummm, no, thanks for question....I did notice the place is back in stock today, with 1 to 2 free with purchase, works out to about $4 per extract, over 30 great reviews from others. I noticed great brain effects after 2 months of use, using it once every 2 weeks, very similar to effects found by others in study linked to above. Happy to answer any questions, just ask.. :)

#8 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

my theory (unproven, just me thinking out loud) is that upregulation of
serotonin receptors may lead to upregulation of dopamine receptors downstream,
as I noticed an aphrodisical effect, just the opposite of what you would think,
but this effect was not noticed until 4 hours later....during the duration of
thh's half-life of around 660 minutes, along with the increased visual acuity,
energy, introspection, increased hearing & problem solving ability, all smart
nutrient like effects, a much under-researched compound, due to it being hidden
away in caapi all these decades imho.

#9 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Btw:

Harmine shows promise to cure type 1 diabetes:

http://www.scienceda...50309134629.htm

• like x 1

#10 88LS

• 100 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hey hey,

This looks super interesting, all I can find in my country is: http://www.bidorbuy....i_40_grams.html

That's 140 ZAR / 11.8 USD for 40 grams / 1.4 ounces.

Does this look about right and how could it be used for upregulating 5-HT receptors - made into tea or eaten directly? Regular or intermittent dosing?

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

yeh im interested too if that one works. the other source is fucking super unreliable. they have no way to actually order their product and they constantly change status to 0 claiming no availability for a month and then they send me emails i have to always be on the lookout when it arrives. so i do that, i see it as 1 item, i try to buy, same bullshit. nothing! i email again, they say the same shit, try to cactch us when we have it. its like some psycho crazy ass game of catch the bunny using flash light on the walls making little kids run around drooling.

#12 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

So based on their FAQ, it appears they will now have a newer product (versus having at least two with varying proportion of THH) that has about 50% THH. While it is higher that other similar products I've seen, I also wonder if anyone can point me to a source of higher-THH (50%-100%) products.

#13 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

Interestingly enough, harmala alkaloids are also found in passionflower and tobacco. Does this mean something as simple as passionflower can grow serotonin receptor platelets as well? Probably not (see below). One of the simplest ways I've found to boost serotonin is by eating black beans (high in tryptophan) and brown rice (complex carbs to help synthesize tryptophan into serotonin). SAM-e is unpredictable, though rhodiola rosea looks promising for its increase in serotonin. But this is the first I've read about creating new serotonin receptor platelets. It should also be noted that harmala alks are (possibly weak, reversible) MAOIs. 

I did find this link regarding some guys doing extractions of passionflower: https://www.dmt-nexu...?g=posts&t=4081

Successful Conversions:

Harmaline contains one methoxyl group, boiling with hydrochloric acid furnishes the phenolic base giving Harmalol.

Reduction of harmine with sodium in amyl alch will yield tetrahydroharmine.

• Informative x 1

#14 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

Nice one !

But let me tell You that this sounds easier than it is.

I´ve tried once to extract alkaloids form tobacco via Acid base extraction.

Several forums like erowid, tell You to use worrying chemicals.

In theory they should be separated but not in reallity  a request at reddit brought some crtiical results !

Better re-check those claims at e.g. reddit chemistry or organic-chemistry and ask some who has graduate in organic chemistry before doing this ! 

#15 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:20 AM

did anyone manage to order that stuff from the website posted in this thread? i keep checking for a month now, and its always out of stock. so i send them email asking, they keep telling me they run out quick and i have to be fast and check regularly wtf.

#16 dk.dw

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:36 AM

Does anyone know any sources to buy THH online or any lab that can extract it?

I've been looking for it for quite long but nothing came up so far

Edited by Humagreen, 04 February 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#17 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

The closest you will find dk,dw is if you google for standardized caapi extract. There is no where to purchase it or find it by itself on-line--THH is very rare and difficult/tedious to extract from plants...but it can be found in good amounts in combination with it's other components of Caapi.

#18 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

i sprinkled something funny in your drink, ma'am.  yes indeed i did, it was some tetra-perchlorinated difuro-benzene.  effects don't set in for a few days, but when they do you'll know.  all your red blood cells will be very happy, but you won't change at all

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1

#19 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

New study published in the July 2017 issue of "Nature":

https://www.nature.c...598-017-05407-9

The alkaloids of Caapi stimulate adult neurogenesis in vitro

From page 2 of article:

Two recent studies found that a single dose of caapi rapidly reduced depressive symptoms in treatment-resistant patients11, 12. Remarkably, clinical improvement was maintained for up to three weeks.

#20 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

i saw the study yesterday. but it says ayhuasca helped with depression , not specifically the caapi plant. now i wonder, what if just take caapi for depression which is legal to purchase , but would it even benefit at all unless not mixed with other plants in the ayhuasca drink? what do you guys think

#21 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

From article:

Chemical analyses have shown that while the β-carbolines are present in all Ayahuasca samples, this is not always the case for admixture alkaloids. For instance, an ayahuasca sample from the Brazilian Church União do Vegetal, a group known to regularly combine B. caapi with P. viridis in their ayahuasca, was found to contain no admixture alkaloids at all16.

Ayahuasca is caapi alone, and needs no other admixture, it is a common misconception in the western part of the world that Ayahuasca needs an admixture, more on this below from Highpine:

http://www.ayahuasca...n-of-ayahuasca/

#22 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

uhm i dunno about this. in that way, ayhuasca is then legal because caapi is sold legally online you know? but the way this drink is made, it takes some practice and skill you dont just throw caapi in water and brew it.

#23 sarah20

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Had it wrong, the standardized caapi extracts only show up if you google sacredforest botanicals, they are hard to find otherwise.

#24 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

i tried that one long ago and i didnt feel anything :s

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#25 smccomas01

• 155 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

I am thinking of trying this anyone else still experimenting? 

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain health, nootropics, serotonin, anti-depressant properites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users