Brain Fog After Protracted Binge Drinking

brain fog binge drinking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RyanTabil

• 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:35 AM

To provide a brief summary:

Being a senior in college I went on a good 8 month binge drinking session. I would NOT drink every single day of the eight month span, but there were a few instances where I would go 5 or more days without a reprieve. During this time I would take a week off here and there, but over the past two to three weeks I was drinking mostly every day in large quantities. My tolerance had gotten so high that I was able to take down a fifth of tequila and a beer or two before hitting the point where it was either bedtime or time for a small siesta. I resolved last Wednesday to quit, as I just received a full-time job offer and it wouldn't prudent to continue drowning my body in unnecessary amounts of alcohol. Since I quit, I have had the worst brain fog. Fluid thought is hard such as writing and articulating arguments. Concentration in general is difficult despite the fact that I am very well rested and have been eating lots of greens and vegetables. When I quit smoking weed two years ago I experienced a similar phenomenon, but I had also been smoking daily for 6 years, so it was kind of an expectation. I don't have typical withdrawal symptoms as in I sleep fine- which could be the result of my daily magnesium glycinate and MSM supplementation- I don't get hot flashes or irritable, etc. The only real symptom I have is the complete inability to focus, memorize or concentrate in a meaningful way. If that even makes sense.

ALCAR seems to slightly abate the symptoms, but it doesn't bring me back to my old baseline. I'm assuming my brain just adapted to being inebriated? Considering the duration of which I drank, how long is typical for these symptoms to last? I know everyone is different, so I'm more looking for anecdotes and assumptions than a definitive timeline. My job is going to be relatively quantitative, and I would hate to make stupid errors and look incompetent when starting a job that is very important to my professional growth.

Edited by st4188, 01 March 2015 - 05:10 AM.

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

It's the compensatory mechanisms of the brain to counter the glutamate-toxicity of the alcohol withdrawals - it dulls you down.

Noopept could help you as a general nootropic, it was even designed in Russia to help their people recover from excess vodka drinking or so.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 RyanTabil

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

It's the compensatory mechanisms of the brain to counter the glutamate-toxicity of the alcohol withdrawals - it dulls you down.

Noopept could help you as a general nootropic, it was even designed in Russia to help their people recover from excess vodka drinking or so.

Thanks for the response. Relative to the duration of my bingeing, what can I expect in regards to recovery time? I expect that I will eventually go back to baseline, correct?

I was considering noopept, but it's a bit outside of my budget at the moment. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

The recovery time is very individual, GABAergics tend to cause long-lasting withdrawal syndromes. Yet some recover even from long-term daily benzo medication rather quickly.

I'd guess a few months to be at baseline, you may be rather functional before that but suffer some setbacks and temporary worsening. Keep up the good diet habits, get exercise and consider the Noopept, it's pretty cheap (5$ a gram at PowderCity). Perhaps also try an adaptogen for general help.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Good ol' piracetam works wonders for me.  I'll also second the Noopept.  As mentioned above an adaptogen, I'd use ashwagandha, will.  One other thing I'd try is Resveratrol.  I find that helps get rid of excess estrogen, a by product of binge drinking.  Above all, lots of exercise and regular sleep.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain, fog, binge drinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users