• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How do I get my Mental Brain Fitness back?

brain fog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

I miss the days when I could get lost in a book, when I could consume large amounts of knowledge, when I could do mental puzzles without fatigue and I could come up with creative ideas, had a great short term memory, a strong intellectual motivation. Used to be very articulate as well.

These days I spend more of my time in a brain fog and mental fatigue. I used to enjoy watching documentaries, even on very dry subjects, but now I get bored within 10 minutes.

Would like to invest time and money in new courses so I can better my job prospects, but there is no point in my current stage.

Having a brain dulling job does not help either.

Over the years I have been here and tried different supps, I have realised that I fall into the general non/little respondents of supplements and nootropics, in fact some nootropics make me feel more dumb.

The last "miracle supplement" I tried was lugol iodine. Nothing.

What options are there then for me?

(Yes I have that thing called depression)

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Overview of the Genetics of Major Depressive Disorder

Serotonin Transporter (5HTT/SLC6A4) and Serotonin Receptor 2A (HTR2A)
The serotonin transporter gene and genes involved in the serotonergic system are candidate genes for susceptibility to depression given that many antidepressant medications act on these systems. Several studies have implicated the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) in MDD [17–19]. A 44-bp repeat polymorphism in the promoter region of the gene (5-HTTLPR) has been shown to influence expression levels of the serotonin transporter in vitro ...

Growing evidence suggests an important role for brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in affective disorder ...

Tryptophan hydroxylase is the rate-limiting enzyme in brain serotonin synthesis. The discovery of a new brain-specific isoform of the tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH2) has generated new interest in the connection between serotonergic systems and depression [39]. The TPH2 gene is located on chromosome 12q, a region previously implicated in linkage studies of BPD.

Zill et al. [40] reported the first evidence of an association of variants in the THP2 gene and major depression. Zhang et al. [41] identified a functional polymorphism (Arg441His) that results in about 80% loss of function in serotonin production when expressed in a cell system. The authors also reported that this rare mutation was not seen in 219 healthy controls but was seen in 9 of 87 individuals with major depression

Depression: a case of neuronal life and death?

stress or depression can lead to atrophy and cell loss in limbic brain structures that are critically involved in depression, including the hippocampus. Studies in experimental animals demonstrate that decreased birth of new neurons in adult hippocampus could contribute to this atrophy. In contrast, antidepressant treatment increases neurogenesis in the hippocampus of adult animals and blocks the effects of stress. Moreover, blockade of hippocampal neurogenesis blocks the actions of antidepressants in behavioral models of depression, demonstrating a direct link between behavior and new cell birth. This perspective reviews the literature in support of the hypothesis that altered birth of new neurons in the adult brain contributes to the etiology and treatment of depression and considers research strategies to test this hypothesis.

St. John's wort, green tea, ginkgo, ginseng, ash, magensium/zinc/chromium, omega-3s (flax and salmon/sardines),

and still from dietary source: melatonin/PQQ/CoQ10 and various polyphenols, which adapt the mitochondria[1] and endoplasmic reticulum[2] to oxidative stress, which both play roles in depression. 

And obviously improving diet, activity levels [mental & physical], or overall lifestyle could help.

Anything which boosts striatal BDNF, increases dopamine/serotonin/GABA activity, or reduces acetylcholine/glutamate/histamine activity.

Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and major depressive disorder

Evaluation of mitochondrial dysfunction in specific tissues may broaden the perspective of depression beyond theories about neurotransmitters or receptor sites, and may explain the persistent signs and symptoms of depression.

Pathological parainflammation and endoplasmic reticulum stress in depression: potential translational targets through the CNS insulin, klotho and PPAR-γ systems

ER stress refers to a complex program set into motion when the ER is challenged by the production or persistence of more proteins than it can effectively fold. If the ER response is overwhelmed, substantial amounts of calcium are released into the cytoplasm, leading to apoptosis. Parainflammation and ER stress generally occur simultaneously. We discuss three highly interrelated mediators that can effectively decrease parainflammation and ER stress ..  novel therapeutic targets for the amelioration of the affective, cognitive and systemic manifestations of major depressive disorder.

Bacopa monniera leaf extract up-regulates tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH2) and serotonin transporter (SERT) expression: implications in memory formation</a>

RESULTS:

Oral administration of Bacopa improved learning and retention of memory. Following Bacopa treatment, the level of serotonin (5-HT) increased while dopamine decreased. We also found variation in the level of acetylcholine (ACh). The level of serotonin (5-HT) was significantly elevated up to 30 days after treatment, but was restored to normal on day 60. Interestingly, concomitant up-regulation was recorded in the mRNA expression of serotonin synthesizing enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase-2 (TPH2) and serotonin transporter (SERT) on day 30 and day 39, which was restored on day 60.

Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials

Based on our pre-specified criteria, five randomized controlled trials (n = 2 placebo controlled trials, n = 3 antidepressant controlled trials) were included in our review. A large effect size was found for saffron supplementation vs placebo control in treating depressive symptoms (M ES = 1.62, P < 0.001), revealing that saffron supplementation significantly reduced depression symptoms compared to the placebo control.

Regulatory effects of Wuzhuyutang (Evodiae) and its consisting herbs on TPH2 promoter

TPH2 promoter drove Red Fluorescent Protein expressing cell line can be used as system screening components targeting TPH2 promoter activity. The possible mechanism of WZYT on migraine may due to its stimulating effects on TPH2 promoter, and promote the synthesis and release of 5-HT in cerebral.

Rhizoma Coptidis and Fructus Evodiae is explained by modulating the monoaminergic neurotransmitter system in mice [courtesy of Flex]

the alkaloids from the two herbs may provide a protective effect for depression in individuals with a low expressing 5-HTT allele by increasing receptor concentration in serotonergic neurons

Edited by gamesguru, 31 August 2015 - 02:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 vtrader

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

I've tried many of those mentioned, infact I get a different response from things like green tea then I used to get, For example, before when I took green tea my entire brain would buzz, but now strangly only the sides of my brain feels the stimulation, my frontal lobe feels unstimulated and numb. That is a big difference I have noticed recently any stimulant no longer gives my that whole brain feeling, my front part of my brain is always feeling weighted down and numb.

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

The symptoms sound scary, but it could be something as simple as a cheaper tea with more caffeine and less polyphenol, or it could be pure placebo on your part.  Or it could be something as serious as frontotemporal dementia.  Especially if these symptoms arose suddenly and unprecipitated by drug-interactions, I would relay my concerns to a professional doctor. ;)

The Bacopa reportedly took 39 days to achieve significant upregulationg of SERT/TPH2 mRNA, so just because you've "tried many of those", doesn't mean you gave them fair chance.

Would be curious, how often and intensely you exercise, and what your diet generally consists of?

And if you tried saffron or st. johns, and if so, for how long?

Edited by gamesguru, 31 August 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#5 vtrader

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

My diet is clean drink plenty of water, exercise 5 times a week including weights and martial arts. Avoid gluten and heavy carbs which I know make me feel like crap.

A

ctually I've am slightly wrong about being a non respondent, as on a side note maca and tongkat ali used to drive my libido through the roof, recently tried them and they have very sublte/lttile effect now. Also I know that some of the supps are working as I've not had a cold in two years.

Had a blood test done a few months ago, all fine.

Back to the original point, I think I have only tried taking a certain supp for as long as the bottle lasts usually around 1 month. You think I should continue on for longer?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Two months and you could gauge your response better.  Also pay attention to supplement quality, as many are lower. 

I can't recommend a quality Saffron or St. John's brand, no recent experience.

For bacopa, nootropicsdepot stocks Bacognize.

For tea, I like Zencha's Sencha Moe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain fog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users