- - - - -

Reflux/acid meds causing premature vascular aging

ppi aging cardiovascular autophagy antacid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

New study indicating PPI antacids may cause premature vascular aging. I guess oops for those of us who have been taking these for years.

https://www.nlm.nih....ory_158754.html

#2 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Since first post cannot be quoted I put this in the second post:

https://www.nlm.nih....ory_158754.html

A popular over-the-counter heartburn medication accelerated aging of blood vessel cells in lab tests, raising red flags about its long-term effect on heart health, researchers say.

Faster aging of blood vessel cells exposed to the antacid Nexium (esomeprazole) might potentially hinder the tasks these cells perform to prevent heart attack and stroke, the new study suggests.

For this study, Cooke and his colleagues cultured the cells that line the walls of blood vessels, which are called endothelial cells.

These cell cultures were exposed every day to doses of Nexium "similar to what a patient would receive" for an extended period of time, Cooke said.

Protective endothelial cells produce substances that relax the blood vessel, and create a slick "Teflon" coating inside the vessel that prevents plaques or blood clots from sticking, Cooke said.

PPIs treat heartburn by blocking acid-producing cells in the lining of the stomach, Cooke said. But researchers now suspect PPIs might also interfere with acid-producing cells elsewhere in the body.

In the case of blood vessel cells, researchers found that long-term PPI exposure impaired acid production by the lysosomes in the cells. Lysosomes typically clear waste products, but exposed to PPIs they didn't produce enough acid to clear waste.

The waste buildup caused endothelial cells to age rapidly, Cooke said, which could hamper their ability to protect blood vessels.

"They start to convert from Teflon to something more like Velcro," he said. "Things begin to stick."

Edited by nowayout, 11 May 2016 - 04:05 PM.

• Informative x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

Wow, if it's not another statin like big pharma disaster, not even 12 months later. ;)

However you look at it, it makes sense. More and more meds are being prescribed for CVDs and yet the mortality rate for those diseases isn't falling, the complete opposite.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if more symptom treating drugs aren't found to be harmful in the near future.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

In the case of blood vessel cells, researchers found that long-term PPI exposure impaired acid production by the lysosomes in the cells. Lysosomes typically clear waste products, but exposed to PPIs they didn't produce enough acid to clear waste.

The waste buildup caused endothelial cells to age rapidly,

So basically PPI antacids like Nexium dysregulate lysosomes, thus suppressing autophagy, causing premature cell aging.

This has been shown for endothelial cells, but I wonder if this is the case for all tissues.

• Good Point x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 45rpm

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

Traditional acid reflux medications are very detrimental to the body when used on a longterm basis. About 15 years ago, I found my own cure. I took 50mgs a day of pregnenolone. I didn't see any improvement until three months of use. After the symptoms go away, you can reduce the dosage to just 50mg, 2 or 3 times a week. If you stop taking the supplement for a few months and the symptoms return, take 100mgs per day for the first week and then go back to 50mgs.

As for my level of improvement, it took a few years of pregnenolone use to heal my lower esophagus. These days I can eat a hot or spicy meal and lay down in bed with zero symptoms of acid reflux.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ppi, aging, cardiovascular, autophagy, antacid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users