Photo
- - - - -

pronunciation of 'nootropic'

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bacchus26

• 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

how the heck did someone on here get the idea that it's pronounced "new-tropic"? every source I've read says that the pronunciation is "no-oh-tropic" with the first syllables having a hard 'O' sounds as in "go" and the last o being soft as in "ox". or sometimes all of the 'O's are hard but more or less only when "nootropic" is being used as an adjective or adverb. yeesh, maybe someone needs to up their dose of oxiracetam [lol]
  • like x 1

#2 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

I pronounce all the o's as long o's, even the 'o' in the "tropic". I sometimes pronounce the second 'o' a little softer, like "Noah-trope-ic". Sometimes I pronounce it like "Nuo-trope-ic". I don't really have a set way of pronouncing it, because they all seem a bit funny to me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

But I don't pronounce noots as "No-oats". I pronounce it like "Newts". Which is probably why I sometimes say "New-oh-trope-ics".

#4 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Agreed, Jay. They are a bit weird sounding. Intuitively, it should in fact be pronounced noo-TRAH-pik (where "noo" rhymes with "moo"). I haven't seen any sources though that pronounces it by giving "noo-" two syllables. According to Dictionary.com, for instance, it's pronounced either noh-TROH-pik or, secondarily, noh-TRAH-pik.

http://dictionary.re...rch?q=nootropic

#5 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Hmm, maybe I should retract a little.

http://www.coursewar...n/nootropic.htm

Here you can almost hear "noo-" as two syllables and with the stress. Anyway...

#6 bacchus26

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

I pronounce it like "Newts".

I think it's okay to make an exception for "noots" as well since it's more elite sounding [tung]

and if you're on the internet you can spell it with 0's for added leetness as "n00t". then I can be all like "d00d im 31337 now that i gotz my n00ts cause i can hax0r better" [thumb]

#7 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

I had always just taken the convenient approach of pronouncing it *newtropics*, but a while back I heard Ken Sills pronounces it as new-oh-tropes.

I think its just easier saying it newtropics or noots, so that's what I'm sticking with. ;)

#8 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Hmm, maybe I should retract a little.

http://www.coursewar...n/nootropic.htm

Here you can almost hear "noo-" as two syllables and with the stress. Anyway...

Nate, I like your first statement totally of noh-TROH-pik. We shouldn't believe everything we read/hear, right? I know many hairs could be split, but I have never even dreamt of pronouncing it like the voice on the coursewareobjects.com link. That just sounds negative ;)

gnu-tropik [thumb]

#9 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

I'm going to keep calling it new-tropic. Most people seem to and I am comfortable doing it the wrong way along with the rest of the majority.

#10 prodigy2020

• 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:01 AM

I'm pretty fond of new-tropic as well (as I've previously mentioned). I'm glad many of you agree.

How the heck did I and others get the idea for the pronunciation? It's pretty intuitive... moo, noose, noon, noodle, etc. "no-oh-tropic" is such an awkward pronunciation...

This is of particular interest to me by the way, as I'll hopefully have nooclear.com up and running in the near future [thumb]

#11 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

. "no-oh-tropic" is such an awkward pronunciation...

It is for native english speakers :)
  • like x 1

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

new-oh-trope-ik

#13 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

Nate, I like your first statement totally of noh-TROH-pik. We shouldn't believe everything we read/hear, right? I know many hairs could be split, but I have never even dreamt of pronouncing it like the voice on the coursewareobjects.com link. That just sounds negative :)

gnu-tropik [thumb]

Thanks a lot, mitkat. I agree. :) Inevitably, perhaps, it'll have quite a few variations merely because the word probably comes up much more in writing than in speaking.

new-oh-trope-ik

Stated without reasons, so it must be! :þ

• Lurker

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

new-oh-trope-ik

As I've come to pronounce it, without much thought.

#15 dogbarf

• 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

There would be an etymological basis for "new-tropic," being that the greek word νους (noos, or nous) is likewise pronouced with an "ou" as in "soup."

Edited by dogbarf, 06 March 2006 - 07:15 AM.

#16 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:56 AM

Thank you for your words of wisdom...dogbarf. [lol]

#17 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:11 AM

The link earlier in the thread pronounces it as "no-oh-trahh-pik" which is how I've been pronouncing it all along, and I tend to have pretty good intuition about these things. :)
  • like x 1

#18 NZT-49

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

Bump!

That settles it…We will all send a letter to the official dictionaries of the world and request them change it to sound like New-traw-pics. Anyone found pronouncing them as Noah-troh-pics shall be instantly shot on site. Same goes with Newpept.

#19 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm going to keep calling it new-tropic. Most people seem to and I am comfortable doing it the wrong way along with the rest of the majority.

That is only helpful if you tell us how you pronounce "new." :) Most Americans pronounce "new" as NOO (rhymes with "moo"), while the rest of us pronounce it as NEE-OO (rhymes with "few").

Bump!

That settles it…We will all send a letter to the official dictionaries of the world and request them change it to sound like New-traw-pics. Anyone found pronouncing them as Noah-troh-pics shall be instantly shot on site. Same goes with Newpept.

Same remark.

Edited by nowayout, 15 December 2013 - 11:04 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Nootropic is derived from Greek, and as such it would be pronounced with the "noo-" as two syllables, with a glottal stop between the vowels. Often the spelling includes an umlaut (two dots) over the second "oh" to so indicate, but difficult to effect with an English keyboard. I am sure that most people encountering the word in print for the first time would pronounce in as "new"tropic, and such usage is sufficiently widespread that dictionaries that merely report usage without attempting to maintain historical correctness will follow the crowd. I have always pronounced it No-oh-troh-pic, because I like to sound like an educated twat. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users