"Stacks" Comments Screwy

stacks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

When I click at the bottom of my Stack page to see the comments on the next page, it just sends me back to the main Forums page.

Also, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting emails alerting me to comments on the 3 Stacks I follow. I now see that you have to set this as a separate preference, apart from doing the same thing for new posts in Forum threads. I suggest that these should be consolidated, so that you automatically get the same treatment for both.

#2 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

When I click at the bottom of my Stack page to see the comments on the next page, it just sends me back to the main Forums page.

I can confirm that the issues seem to affect everyone - all comments past the initial page where the Stack is posted are inaccessible.

Edited by aribadabar, 06 September 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

I could not fix the issue, but patched it by allowing more comments per page. 

• Cheerful x 1

#4 Florin

• 838 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

I could not fix the issue, but patched it by allowing more comments per page. 

The patch has just failed; the second page of comments can't be displayed.

https://www.longecit...red-supplement/

#5 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

hm, I have extended the section again, but please don't use that space for discussions - take these into the forums. The comment section is meant for short points about the stack as a whole. 

in the future, sprawling comments and discussions will be removed. 

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,981 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

If longer-discussions about stacks are not going to be posted in the stacks area, then I am unsure of the usefulness of having a separate stacks feature.

• Agree x 2

#7 Michael

• Topic Starter
  • Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

I agree with Mind, and am puzzled by your reaction, Caliban. There's no point having Regimens/Stacks if people can't discuss the rationale of their constituents. The feature itself is a PITA for all but the simplest of Regimens/Stacks, and the comments sections are just dysfunctional, so I'd suggest instead abandoning the whole function and returning to a Regimens category and the ability to become an editor for one's onwn Regimen thread.

• Agree x 1

#8 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

Yes LongeCity is predominantly a forum, but we have other features and other ways of curating and presenting information. 

There is a page for:  pictures, articles, videos, links, files, and quizzes. Sure, all of of these can/could be done or discussed in the forums but we want to give people some alternative. 

None of them are super slick like they would be on a dedicated high-budget commercial site like instagramm or youtube but they do the trick and provide a focused accessibility for people who don't want to trawl through forum discussions. This is why we have and keep them, even though awareness of them is very low. Most have 'comments' functions but these in turn are not meant to replace the place for proper discussions, which is the forum. Who goes to youtube for having discussions in the comments?  

The 'regimens' feature is to give people a one-stop quick overview of regimens people use. You can browse by category, look at the ratings/popularity, and search by compound (and the search also can links you back to forum discussions). As far as I am aware, your regimen Michael, is the only one that has, from the outset, positioned itself differently, as a scientific treatise inviting-welcoming-relying on lengthy discussions. So, yes, if you want of course you can remove the stack and return to curating a moderated thread on the forum. 

#9 Researchgrounded

• Life Member
  • 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:42 PM

I have found the stacks comments feature helpful. Scientific journals have a peer review process and more recently pre and post commentary and dialogue in the post “letter to the editor” era.

I have been part of this scientific community - publishing in major peer-reviewed indexed journals. By way of analogy, even in this amateur ( ie non-institutional, no disrespect intended) , informal, space not requiring formal education to participate dubbed Longecity, while there is naturally plenty of misinformation circulating , the interactive nature of discussion boards lends itself well to exchange of information and moreover dialectical interrogation , interpretation , and analysis of ideas that is at least partially self-correcting and available to the scrutiny of careful observers.

In a recent thread

https://www.longecit...dmitry-bulavin/

I referred to said stack https://www.longecit...red-supplement/

But was unable to keep the exchange going at the latter URL, even for an update.

It may require more investigation and investment, but if a solution is identified that would permit ongoing discussion following submission of a stack ( while Michael and others are gracious enough to periodically - and voluntarily at their own will participate as often or seldom as they like) - even with all of PubMed, Google Scholar, EMBASE and the full Twitter, Stack Exchange and Slack, etc. and the like research community at my fingertips, I for one would find it most helpful if we could re-open stack comments without space limitations.

Respectfully and in gratitude for the tremendous effort it takes to moderate, develop, and sustain a thriving online community,

Researchgrounded

Edited by researchgrounded, 27 May 2020 - 10:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users