Highly sensitive person/Sensory processing sensitivity personality trait

personality trait sensory processing sensitivity highly sensitive person

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

I was googling trying to figure out why some people (like myself and some family members) are sensitive to stress and came across this. This is news to me, BTW. But, it would explain why I exhibit symptoms of:

high stress levels; being easily overwhelmed; increased rates of depression, anxiety, and symptoms of autism; sleep problems; and more physical health problems

There is more:

Boterberg et al. (2016) describe high SPS as a "temperamental or personality trait which is present in some individuals and reflects an increased sensitivity of the central nervous system and a deeper cognitive processing of physical, social and emotional stimuli".[2]

People with high SPS report having a heightened response to stimuli such as pain, caffeine, hunger, and loud noises.[4] According to Boterberg et al., these individuals are "believed to be easily overstimulated by external stimuli because they have a lower perceptual threshold and process stimuli cognitively deeper than most other people."[2] This deeper processing may result in increased reaction time as more time is spent responding to cues in the environment, and might also contribute to cautious behavior and low risk-taking.[2]

The above fits me rather well, except for tolerance to caffeine and pain.

Here is why I need to dig into my 23&me data:

By 2015 the trait had been documented at various levels of study, including temperament and behavior (personality psychology), brain function and neuronal sensitization, and genetics.[7] For example, genetic studies provide evidence that higher levels of SPS are linked to the serotonin transporter 5-HTTLPR short/short genotype,[32] polymorphisms in dopamine neurotransmitter genes,[33] and the ADRA2b norepinephrine-related gene variant.[34]

all from:

https://en.wikipedia...ing_sensitivity

but there are a few dumbed down resources on this too: https://www.google.c...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by jack black, 07 November 2017 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users