Quantitation of NR,NMN and NAD+ in various types of milk

nicotinamide riboside; nicotinamide nucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

The article I attach here describes a new, quick and cheap assay of the quantities of  NR, NMN, and NAD+ in  food. As a first start the researchers have screened the milk of a number of species, among which human breast milk.

The importance of this : if the scientific community accepts this type of assay it will be easy to establish the amount of NR/NMN in for instance brewer's yeast, beers, yoghurt, or kimchee. This will help us in working towards personalized supplementation.

Additionally, the article offers many interesting insights, such as:

NR in bovine milk survives pasteurization but not UHT.

NAD in mother's milk follows the  diurnal peak and trough of the cellular NAD oscillation.

Attached File  ummarino2016.pdf   452.7KB   17 downloads 

Edited by Harkijn, 13 January 2018 - 03:51 PM.

• Informative x 3

#2 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I don't drink milk after reading Professor Jane Plant's book 'Your Life In Your Hands,' in which she believes milk is responsible for a lot of the cases of breast cancer in western society and offers a very compelling argument and life story of her recovery from terminal cancer, a number of times (it returning when she relapsed and had milk)...

I know that is not a large scale study but she is a scientist.  I'd be interested if anyone else has views on her work.

That said, now that I'm here it looks like milk could be a good thing.  I haven't drunk it for nearly 20 years...

#3 Harkijn

• Topic Starter
  • 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Food choices and habits are deeply personal and often lead to bitter forum feuds, so let me hasten to clarify that these researchers  do not recommend drinking (more) milk. Milk was known already to contain NR and is apparently an easy substance for quantitation. Other foodstuffs will be researched for NR in the coming years, I think. For instance, some types of brewer's yeast are often mentioned, but sofar I have not encountered any studies about this.

• Agree x 1

#4 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

I agree and it's an interesting study.  For me it's particularly interesting because I'm semi vegan (I eat fish though), and am surrounded by a lot of people who absolutely think milk is bad....maybe we were not designed to drink milk as adults, but at the same time none of us would naturally eat food or take supplements to enhance certain chemicals for longevity.  So not everything that is natural has the best outcome.  I just find it interesting that milk is a good source of NR.   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users