• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 world33

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

Life Extension Pseudoscience and the SENS Plan

Quote from the above document:

However, given the recent successes and highly emotional nature of life extension research, Aubrey de Grey is not the first, nor will he be the last, to promote a hopelessly insufficient but ably camouflaged pipe-dream to the hopeful many. With this in mind, we hope our list provides a general line of demarcation between increasingly sophisticated life extension pretense, and real science and engineering, so that we can focus honestly on the significant challenges before us.

May be when the mission, vision and goals of a company, or in this case a research foundation and public charity in financial distress, sound too good to be true the alarm bell should be ringing.

After 8 years since its foundation (2009) is there any available tested application/therapy coming out from SENS line of research?

#2 Mind

• Lifetime Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Life Extension Pseudoscience and the SENS Plan

Quote from the above document:

However, given the recent successes and highly emotional nature of life extension research, Aubrey de Grey is not the first, nor will he be the last, to promote a hopelessly insufficient but ably camouflaged pipe-dream to the hopeful many. With this in mind, we hope our list provides a general line of demarcation between increasingly sophisticated life extension pretense, and real science and engineering, so that we can focus honestly on the significant challenges before us.

May be when the mission, vision and goals of a company, or in this case a research foundation and public charity in financial distress, sound too good to be true the alarm bell should be ringing.

After 8 years since its foundation (2009) is there any available tested application/therapy coming out from SENS line of research?

No therapies yet, but several SENS strategies are now being entered into human trials as we speak. SENS has demonstrated proof-of-concept in several rejuvenation techniques. It is no pipe-dream. It is a strategy for rejuvenation. People at SENS will tell you straight up that there is no guarantee their strategies will work. They are probably the most honest about how difficult rejuvenation will be. They are not mis-leading anyone.

The SENS approach has been slow to gain traction because they have been on a shoestring budget (a couple million per year).

In contrast, Calico is spending hundreds of millions per year and have developed nothing. At least with SENS you get more bang for your buck with potential rejuvenation therapies.

• Agree x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1

#3 albedo

• 1,118 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

For completeness here the rebuttal and follow on discussion to the link posted by World33. I tend to agree with Mind. Moreover, there have been recent progresses, publications and spin-off out of SENS strategy. A good read is also the SENS annual report.

#4 Avatar of Horus

• 212 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

In another book the term quasiscientific is used for SENS, in:

Brocklehurst's Textbook of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 8th edition, Elsevier.

Pg.166-167. In the section:

"Brief history of antiaging medicine

Aubrey De Grey ...

His approach is a classic example of the quasiscientific methods that have been used to create antiaging literature.

..."

IMHO SENS is a good hypothesis, but when a hypothesis is presented as if it was fact, i.e. without evidence, that's a problem, and that is why those quasi-/pseudoscience terms are used by others.

• Agree x 2

#5 albedo

• 1,118 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Also IMHO, I do not feel SENS is presented as a fact. I take it as a strategy to tackle aging and there are tons of hypothetical contents. One might dislike the tactics used by the proponents but if we are in war against aging, tactics are important too. As I understand, the strategy, not very dissimilar from what an engineer would maybe have, is to attack damages basically caused by metabolism and prior to the very same damages cause pathology. No surprise this is criticized by the bio-gerontology community on one side and the geriatric on the other. To me key message Aubrey put out out more that 10 years ago to the public (good tactic if you want to move forward) is you have a very limited number of areas you need to tackle. He is today definitively not alone in saying this reading the work by totally independent groups on the "hallmarks of aging". The strategy might scientifically be not so intellectually rewarding as fully understanding all the details of metabolism and finding ways to interfere with it but so what if this helps millions of people! And the tactic seems start working with more people endorsement, funding and hopefully convergence with other approaches as often in science.

#6 albedo

• 1,118 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

In case you missed the Dec 2017 podcast with Aubrey on progresses and recognition of the work done:

(not sure the link works but you can go to podcast link, which seems working...)

Edited by albedo, 31 January 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#7 YOLF

• 7,874 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

I don't see how SENS is a pipe dream... They've figured out what needs to be done... that's the biggest part. They even have some suggestions on how to get it done. We're getting there and it will be in parallel to the work of others I'm sure.

• Disagree x 1

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users