Photo
- - - - -

Best Lion's Mane supplement?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 owls

• 69 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

i'm really interested in Lion's Mane for its NGF properties.. would anyone be willing to share a personal experience and provide a good source for this supplement? thanks!

#2 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

Paul Stamets' brand is a good one. Used to be New Chapter's but the dude who formulated New Chapter's mushroom supplements broke off and started his own company.

Edited by morganator, 14 July 2010 - 02:23 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

Mushroom Science seems to be a good company.

#4 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

^^ Mushroom Science uses a water-only extraction technique, which is good for getting the generally beneficial molecules out of mushrooms, but is not the ideal solvent choice for pulling the NGF-inducing molecules (i.e. it doesn't dissolve many of them).

Owls: Check out this thread. It's turned into a discussion of the merits of the various Lion's Mane products, starting around post 60, IIRC. Briefly, the Fungi Perfecti liquid extraction is probably the best all-round single product, because it uses a dual-solvent extraction of both parts of the mushroom, which pulls all of the molecules from both the hericenone and erinacine families. I've heard it tastes like rotgut vodka, though ;)

#5 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

^^ Mushroom Science uses a water-only extraction technique, which is good for getting the generally beneficial molecules out of mushrooms, but is not the ideal solvent choice for pulling the NGF-inducing molecules (i.e. it doesn't dissolve many of them).

Thanks, good to know.

#6 owls

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Awesome, thanks guys ;)

#7 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

I tried to buy the Fungi Perfecti lion's mane product today however iherb.com will not send it to Australia. When I add it to my cart is says "prohibited" but it allows me to order any other lion's mane product... weird.

Edited by Steve_86, 20 July 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I tried to buy the Fungi Perfecti lion's mane product today however iherb.com will not send it to Australia. When I add it to my cart is says "prohibited" but it allows me to order any other lion's mane product... weird.

S of a B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 owls

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

ok, so should i go with the mycelium powder or a liquid extract? suggestions PLEASE!!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

ok, so should i go with the mycelium powder or a liquid extract? suggestions PLEASE!!

It's not like there's a single best objective product for Lion's Mane. As I said before, the product I mentioned is extracted from both the fruit body and mycelium, while the mycelium powder is...mycelium. But honestly, both will probably do the job, depending on what the job is. If you want a greater understanding about the +/- of each option, I'd read the thread I linked to. Otherwise, my previous product recommendation is a pretty solid choice.

That is pretty weird. Maybe it's because it's a glass bottle? You could try ordering it from either FP or Cordyceps Reishi company (cheaper). New Chapter's new LM product also contains both parts of the mushroom (in caps), but is considerably more expensive. Wrote my thoughts about it in one of the last posts in the thread I linked to.

Oh, nm. iHerb only sells FP's Host Defense mycelium-only capsuled product. But FP and Cordyceps Reishi both sell this as well; don't know if they ship internationally. I suppose you could contact iHerb and ask what the hell is up.

Edited by chrono, 22 July 2010 - 12:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users