• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Charity leads to longer lifespans. Will those taking the Ice Bucket challenge live longer?

als als ice bucket ice bucket challenge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I often see posts and articles about cold stress induced hormesis around the wider life extension community. I think we're all pretty well aware that ending your shower with a burst of freezing cold water helps our skin look younger and may perhaps further shock other cells in our body that are nearing death, thus preventing them from polluting the rest of us.

Perhaps LongeCity should have an icebucket challenge of their own or team up to benefit ALS on behalf of our support for Aaron Winborn. When taking the icebucket challenge, say something like "I learned at LongeCity that cold stress induced hormesis helps us stay younger, and may lead to a longer lifespan, so I gladly accept!"

#2 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Assuming your assertion that ending your shower with a burst of cold water helps your skin look better, I would speculate that it is not hormesis, but your body micro managing the skin cell membrane by increasing the percentage of Omega 3 PUFAs (vs. Omega 6) in order to increase membrane fluidity, in much the same way that fish like Salmon alter their cell membranes to increase or decrease fluidity depending on the temperature of water that they are living in. If my speculation is correct then shock therapy may actually have an adverse impact on overall health if it is drawing Omega 3's away from internal organs cell membranes in order to increase the Omega 3 content of the skin cell membranes.

#3 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Couldn't this just be due to vasoconstriction and/or narrowing of skin pores..? 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: als, als ice bucket, ice bucket, challenge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users