Photo
- - - - -

N-A-Cysteine, a bit smelly?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

I eat alot of canned tuna and smoked and raw salmon and fish (sushi), and read that NAC can help reduce mercury accumulation.
I received mine (Jarrow) and it does have a slightly garlic- / sulfur- like smell, which I find unusual for a supp. It's still good till end 2007 however.
Is this smell normal? Is the theory that NAC helps with mercury a decent one enough? Does any other supp help?
Thanks!

#2 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

Yes, NAC smells quite bad. At least every NAC supplement I ever encountered, no matter if it was powder or capsules. Don't know how effective it is as a mercury chelator. You could also take some lipoic acid.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

you could try not eating so much mercury containing fish lol

#4 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

you could try not eating so much mercury containing fish lol

You wouln'dt by any chance be a vegetarian would you ;)

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

I eat alot of canned tuna and smoked and raw salmon and fish (sushi), and read that NAC can help reduce mercury accumulation.
I received mine (Jarrow) and it does have a slightly garlic- / sulfur- like smell, which I find unusual for a supp. It's still good till end 2007 however.
Is this smell normal? Is the theory that NAC helps with mercury a decent one enough? Does any other supp help?
Thanks!

1. WHy are you worried about treating mercury buildup when you do nto know if you even have it?

2. STick to chunk light tuna or better salmon. No idea what fish they use for sushi.

3. If you're concerned, get a BLOOD TEST For mercury.

4. I had put together a list at one time but don't have it easily accessable: selenium, NAC, vit C....search here I may have posted it previously.

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

I received mine (Jarrow) and it does have a slightly garlic- / sulfur- like smell, which I find unusual for a supp.

Cysteine is a sulfur containing amino acid. That's why it smells sulfur like

Posted Image

Your sulfhydryl group is at the top there (S-H)

#7 fntms

• Topic Starter
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

Thanks all for the replies. Scottl, I worry about mercury because I'm a worrier...

#8 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

{disclaimer}: I do not mean to offend or patronise you with the following comments.

I was a worrier for a lot of my life and have worked out a way to help me deal with worry

Here allow me to share it with you.

First step is: You worry.

Second step is: ask the following:

1. Q. Can I change what I am worrying about?
A. No.
Then don't worry about it. It is out of your control

2. Q. Can I change what I am worrying about?
A. Yes.
Then change it!

The best thing for worry is to be pro-active. You are being pro-active by coming here and asking questions but you're still hanging on to the worry. I think the non-technical term for that is "Emotional baggage"

Like Scottl said, eat low mercury containing fish and get a blood test and don't worry.

Here's a little song I wrote.
You might wanna sing it note for note.
Don't worry.
Be happy.
Don't worry, be happy now.

[lol]

#9 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

NAC (and most sulphur based compounds) are beneficial to one's health. Besides having a mercury poisoning for real or not, taking NAC at an average dose can only have a positive impact.

NAC (1200mg) is a staple of my supplementation and I will never stop suggesting it :)

PS: Zoolander when a mono on NAC?

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

i remember once reading in some forum that NAC can increase hair loss...anyone heard about this?

#11 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

NAC (1200mg) is a staple of my supplementation and I will never stop suggesting it :)

That is a lot of NAC....no not if you're taking it for a few months, but if you're 20-30 and taking that dose forever I'd be a little concerned that that you'd be taking too much antioxidants. Just my 3c.

#12 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

That is a lot of NAC....no not if you're taking it for a few months, but if you're 20-30 and taking that dose forever I'd be a little concerned that that you'd be taking too much antioxidants. Just my 3c.

I agree with you, Scott. Too much of any protective agent taken long term will make the body's self-repair systems lazy. I was taking 1000mg, but I don't really get much effect, so I cut it to 300mg to be safe.

#13 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

i remember once reading in some forum that NAC can increase hair loss...anyone heard about this?

I think quite the opposite. Cysteine is a component of hair.

#14 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

I think quite the opposite. Cysteine is a component of hair.

seems NAC helps hair loss, good thing...i'll look into it after i spend my cysteine peptide first :)

#15 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

Da Sense,

I was not clear. cysteine is a component of hair and it might thicken hair. IF you're intereted in hair loss search Dio's posts over at M & M.

#16 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Scott, I think you participated to that LONG thread about NAC on M&M, where it was determined the upper level for avoiding pro-oxidative effects of NAC, which was around 1800mg for a 80kg person. Anyway, at my age (I'm 29) and my general supplementation, I have found difference in taking between 600 and 1200mg. And yes, I take it all year round, along with vitamins, sylmarin and resveratrol. I take a week break of anything every few months, though.

BTW, I dont suggest my doses and protocol, when I suggested it, I said between 600 and 1000mg and mostly for its epatoprotective effects.

#17 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:13 PM

Too much of any protective agent taken long term will make the body's self-repair systems lazy.

Uhm... this affirmation is serious: can you back it up?

#18 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

Sure - common sense.

Unless you have acetaminophen poisoning everyday

#19 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Da Sense,

I was not clear.  cysteine is a component of hair and it might thicken hair.  IF you're intereted in hair loss search Dio's posts over at M & M.

I didn't express myself correctly, i meant NAC can help hair loss in terms stop sheding and help regrow it...at least that what google results show for "nac hair loss"

#20 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

"Scott, I think you participated to that LONG thread about NAC on M&M"

Ya but that was in the context of some product (think it was by MAN) which I cannot imagine would be taken forever. NB in the revised version they swit hed to..ALCAR I think it was.

"BTW, I dont suggest my doses and protocol, when I suggested it, I said between 600 and 1000mg and mostly for its epatoprotective effects. "

I'd make sure you're getting sufficient vit c e.g. at least 2-3 g/day in divided doses. THen consider NAC..which ain't on my list of top 5 or 6 supps for a "starter regimen"

"I have found difference in taking between 600 and 1200mg"

Meaning?

#21 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Meaning?

He finds that his wallet is significantly lighter after moving up to 1200mg a day. [lol]

Actually, there seems to be some evidence out there supporting 1200mg daily for some length of time, although I haven't done much research yet. Here's one that demonstrates NAC's efficacy during flu season:

Eur Respir J. 1997 Jul;10(7):1535-41. Related Articles, Links 

Attenuation of influenza-like symptomatology and improvement of cell-mediated immunity with long-term N-acetylcysteine treatment.

De Flora S, Grassi C, Carati L.

Institute of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine, University of Genoa, Italy.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an analogue and precursor of reduced glutathione, has been in clinical use for more than 30 yrs as a mucolytic drug. It has also been proposed for and/or used in the therapy and/or prevention of several respiratory diseases and of diseases involving an oxidative stress, in general. The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effect of long-term treatment with NAC on influenza and influenza-like episodes. A total of 262 subjects of both sexes (78% > or = 65 yrs, and 62% suffering from nonrespiratory chronic degenerative diseases) were enrolled in a randomized, double-blind trial involving 20 Italian Centres. They were randomized to receive either placebo or NAC tablets (600 mg) twice daily for 6 months. Patients suffering from chronic respiratory diseases were not eligible, to avoid possible confounding by an effect of NAC on respiratory symptoms. NAC treatment was well tolerated and resulted in a significant decrease in the frequency of influenza-like episodes, severity, and length of time confined to bed. Both local and systemic symptoms were sharply and significantly reduced in the NAC group. Frequency of seroconversion towards A/H1N1 Singapore 6/86 influenza virus was similar in the two groups, but only 25% of virus-infected subjects under NAC treatment developed a symptomatic form, versus 79% in the placebo group. Evaluation of cell-mediated immunity showed a progressive, significant shift from anergy to normoergy following NAC treatment. Administration of N-acetylcysteine during the winter, thus, appears to provide a significant attenuation of influenza and influenza-like episodes, especially in elderly high-risk individuals. N-acetylcysteine did not prevent A/H1N1 virus influenza infection but significantly reduced the incidence of clinically apparent disease.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Multicenter Study
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 9230243 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#22 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

"Scott, I think you participated to that LONG thread about NAC on M&M"

Ya but that was in the context of some product (think it was by MAN) which I cannot imagine would be taken forever.  NB in the revised version they swit hed to..ALCAR I think it was.

"BTW, I dont suggest my doses and protocol, when I suggested it, I said between 600 and 1000mg and mostly for its epatoprotective effects. "

I'd make sure you're getting sufficient vit c e.g. at least 2-3 g/day in divided doses.  THen consider NAC..which ain't on my list of top 5 or 6 supps for a "starter regimen"

Meaning?

1. Uhm the study I remember about pro-oxidant activity were on NAC only.

2. Yes, my C intake is between 2 and 3 grams a day, divided in 3 doses, 4 if i can, of which 90% in esterified form, 0% in ascrobyl palmitate (sp) so far, because I'm not convinced of the safety.

3. Meaning that when I took 600mg for a few days, I felt a difference. Which is not easy to determine, considering the variety of my protocol. As I said, for MY general condition, activities and overall supplementation I found that 1200 mg (divided in 2 doses) is the ideal dose. Maybe 800-900mg would do as well, but I have no desire to change the product, which comes in 600mg caps. And its within the safety range. I respect your opinion and thank you for the advice, still for me NAC is in the "staples" category.

#23 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

Jarrow's N-A-C Sustain didn't have much foul smell compared to the regular one. They claim it's in sustained release form.

For mercury detox, get zinc, C, nac of course, and chlorella

#24 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:05 AM

Keeping in mind that NAC is a donor and booster of the endogenous GSH antioxidant system, I would like to point out that some research has suggested that boosting endogenous antioxidant systems may result in cancer.

http://www.imminst.o...68&hl=cancer&s=

There is no doubt that maintaining a good longevity regime is time consuming. Forever having to update your regime because new research challenges our current choices.

How much NAC? Antioxidants, good or bad? What form of resveratrol? Do nootropics work?

Thank god for Imminst! If it wasn't for this place I would be lost. Imminst is like 3330 minds all working towards the one cause. :)

#25 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:34 AM

Loosely read:

Not more than 2.5 g of NAC else it may have prooxidant effects.

#26 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

There is no doubt that maintaining a good longevity regime is time consuming. Forever having to update your regime because new research challenges our current choices.

How much NAC? Antioxidants, good or bad? What form of resveratrol? Do nootropics work?

Yes, its time-consuming, but I like doing such research :)

PS: I have read to stay under 1.8g, not 2.5, and it is bodyweight dependant.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:35 AM

I find NAC quite tasty if you're into deformed fundips (oh the sarcasm I know, even harder via internet).
maybe i missed this, but i was wondering if anyone had any noticeable impacts from nac? I tried some for a few days, and believe this was the effect of the nac, but it was awhile ago, I felt quite light, and verbally freer...although I didn't take it long enough to notice any additional benefits...such as maybe the freeness would give way to an increased ease of analysis and synthesis...but i'm not sure if i'm misattributing benefits to nac?
anyone notice similar or different curious effects with supplementation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users