• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

John Bruce, deathist Trollblogger

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

Everyone may now carry on with their....intellectual circle jerk

All in due time.

#62 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Everyone may now carry on with their....intellectual circle jerk

All in due time.

Cosmos, your depravity astounds me!

intellectual creepy jive ;))

#63 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

John Bruce's column today on Aubrey (entitled "So Let’s Look At Aubrey De Grey") was especially disheartening. Mr. Bruce seems to be reverting to character attacks. (perhaps because his attacks on actual ideas don't stand up?)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

The post today (entitled "So What’s The Real Transhumanism?") is about a site called Transtopia.org, which (evidently) is very much into white supremacy and related ideas, and trying to pass them off as transhumanist ideals.

Has anyone had experience with this site before? They seem like some nutt jobs to me. I saw them posted about on Betterhumans, and some of the folks over there seem to agree with that. :)

Edited by liveforever22, 02 May 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#65 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

John Bruce banned me from posting comments on his blog. I was posting under the name Joe. He first banned my home IP address, so I got on my work VPN and posted that he banned me. He then deleted that comment and banned my work IP address.

Most of my posts consisted of asking him to read Nick Bostrom "The Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant" and a few pages on logical fallacies.

John Bruce before you call AdG or any other transhumanist a nazi please take a few minutes to actually learn what we are saying.

For anyone who does not read JB's blog he is currently arguing that Aubrey de Grey wants to kill all frail people because he does not think they will live until the first longevity treatments. If he would read what I have been continually asking him to from my very first posts there he would see that we want to get to the treatments as fast as possible so we don't have to let those people die.

I do admit my last post(deleted) there was a little harse, but I take free speech very seriously and don't like when people arbitrarily enforce it.

#66 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

Rahein

For anyone who does not read JB's blog he is currently arguing that Aubrey de Grey wants to kill all frail people because he does not think they will live until the first longevity treatments.

He's scum, rahein, and those who aren't wet behind the ears knew this from the start. What you are witnessing is an individual whose only concern is his agenda - truth becomes a pleasant fiction.

#67 cryoguy

• 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

John Bruce just banned me too. Was it my suggestion that Aubrey de Grey could be a rock star?

I guess if he bans all his critics and questioners, all he'll have left are acolytes. Oops, I forgot, he has no acolytes. Soon he'll just be writing to himself.

#68 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

Well, I at least used to have some respect for a few of his ideas that seemed to be well thought out, but if he is banning people for simply disagreeing with him, then I am quickly losing all respect for him. I can understand if people were using profanity, spamming, etc. and getting banned, but banning people for disagreeing with you? That seems kind of ridiculous. (imo)

#69 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

He just banned me as well.

#70 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:29 AM

His blog, his prerogative...

#71 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:41 AM

His blog, his prerogative...

I totally agree, Don. It is also my prerogative on which blog I respect based on if it is a blog that allows the free exchange of ideas vs. one that doesn't allow a free exchange of ideas.

Also, it is my prerogative to say that his email that he publishes on the front page of his blog is j.bruce@gte.net.
It is my prerogative to tell people NOT to use this email to contact John Bruce and tell him what you really think.
Also, to tell people NOT to use this email to sign up for lists on the internet that could in some way make massive amounts of spam go to that email.
As well, I will tell people NOT to use programs such as Tor, or other Anonymizers (as well as clearing out their cookies) while using a different username so that they are still able to post responses to John's blog.

These, and other mischievous things would never be encouraged by myself to be done by others.

#72 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

[
As well, I will tell people NOT to use programs such as Tor, or other Anonymizers (as well as clearing out their cookies) while using a different username so that they are still able to post responses to John's blog.

All you need is a diffrent IP address to post again. I post with the same username and everything so he knows it is still me. If you have a dial up connection you can just keep redailing until it gives you a new IP. Or you can use proxies or VPNs.

Here is the latest post I had and his apt reply.

John Bruce "I'm gradually losing patience with each of you."

This is a funny statement considering that you already banned me (twice) and cryoguy. Are you just going to ban each person you loose patience with?
Joe | Homepage | 05.10.06 - 10:22 am | #

You got it, dude.
John Bruce

#73 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Oh and I don't think he monitors his published email. At least he has never replied to me.

#74 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

Awhile back I emailed him something and he posted about it a couple days later on his blog. This was quite awhile back though, he might not monitor it any more though.

Edit: It looks like in today's post he respond's to an email Michael sent him, so he evidently still checks it.

#75 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

Ya I saw that also. So I emailed him again ;)

#76 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:28 AM

Here's an idea - how about we boycott Bruce's site so that no one ever comments on it? He will be blogging to the wind then. It's obvious he's out to get us, what is the point of arguing and why are you so obsessed with sending him emails he doesn't even care to read?

#77 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:50 AM

There never really was a useful conversation going on. He seems to be getting flustered by the whole thing and I do not feel the need to antagonize him.

#78 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:02 PM

Sorry to bump this thread again, but it seems as though in John's Monday, July 17, 2006 post entitled "The Technology Review SENS Challenge", he is up to his old tricks.

Bashing the entire concept of the SENS Challenge, as well as our declaration of a victory in the latest results by the judges.

Just fyi for anyone still interested in this deathist.

#79 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:18 AM

interested

nope

#80 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

I hadn't heard of him. Suppose I'd get banned by him too, well all in due time.

At least he hasn't been as crazy lately. I also find it fun to read through Assimov's list of anti-tranhumanist sites from time to time. It seems usually that others have said in the past, what I'd say in retort now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users