• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Short term brainfog and mood swings after eating...

brainfog mood swings short term histamine intolerance blood sugar intolerance histamine help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grandmaster

• 217 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hello

I have been dealing for a long time with a mood swings and brainfog problem that appears just after eating and is present 1-5 minutes to 1-1,5h after meal. I had 4 blood tests - all of them showed that im fine and blood sugar was always normal. The test after eating 75h of glucose showed that my blood sugar level decreased from 92 mg/dl of glucose to 72 mg/dl - reactive hypoglicemia would be a possibilty under 70 mg/dl so.... After that test i felt nothing negative like brainfog or mood swings so its very unlikely that just blood sugar could cause it. I thought it may be histmine intolerance since i had worst reactions to food with high histamine levels like red wine, beer, sauerkraut, canned fish etc but it sometimes happens even after eating histamine free foods.... I have used antihistamine supplements with DAO and it made some difference but still im not absoultely conviced if it is the only root of problem.

Is it possible to have histamine intolerance symptoms 60 seconds after having i meal??/ What can be other reason? I visited like 5 doctors and i didnt get any useful informations from those visits - only those tests that made it even more unclear to figure out...

Edited by Grandmaster, 20 May 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#2 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

One thing what comes to my mind is decreased blood flow to the brain.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

What has brain blood flow to eating? Why would it happen 60 seconds after eating and vanish so fast? I think its not a good guess...

#4 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

I was thinking a phenomena which is close to postprandial hypotension. But, just a guess.

https://www.health.h...-blood-pressure

More than often things are not categorical.

Edited by prunk, 24 May 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#5 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

I bought digestive enzymes with probiotic in pills and its seems to work pretty good - i feel slightly sleepy sometimes after eating but no mood swings or anxiety after eating at all!

#6 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hello
I have been dealing for a long time with a mood swings and brainfog problem that appears just after eating and is present 1-5 minutes to 1-1,5h after meal. I had 4 blood tests - all of them showed that im fine and blood sugar was always normal. The test after eating 75h of glucose showed that my blood sugar level decreased from 92 mg/dl of glucose to 72 mg/dl - reactive hypoglicemia would be a possibilty under 70 mg/dl so.... After that test i felt nothing negative like brainfog or mood swings so its very unlikely that just blood sugar could cause it. I thought it may be histmine intolerance since i had worst reactions to food with high histamine levels like red wine, beer, sauerkraut, canned fish etc but it sometimes happens even after eating histamine free foods.... I have used antihistamine supplements with DAO and it made some difference but still im not absoultely conviced if it is the only root of problem.
Is it possible to have histamine intolerance symptoms 60 seconds after having i meal??/ What can be other reason? I visited like 5 doctors and i didnt get any useful informations from those visits - only those tests that made it even more unclear to figure out...

Have you tried experimenting with different macros? Maybe one meal being only protein and fats, another meal being only protein and carbs, another meal maybe just fats, just carbs, just protein, etc.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

I bought digestive enzymes with probiotic in pills and its seems to work pretty good - i feel slightly sleepy sometimes after eating but no mood swings or anxiety after eating at all!

Is this method still working for you? What strains of probiotics are you taking?

Also, DAO isn't the only enzyme that degrades histamine. Histamine N-methyltransferase (HNMT) is just as important. DAO is restricted to the digestive system and kidneys while HNMT is distributed throughout the body and is found in the CNS while DAO is not:

"The DAO protein is stored in plasma membrane–associated vesicular structures in epithelial cells and is secreted into the circulation on stimulation (28, 29). Therefore, it has been proposed that DAO may be responsible for scavenging extracellular histamine (eg, after ingestion of histamine-rich food) after mediator release. Conversely, HNMT, the second most important enzyme inactivating histamine, is a cytosolic protein (30), which can convert histamine only in the intracellular space of cells (31, 32). Thus, the enzymes do not seem to compete for the substrate, although they have a similar affinity for histamine and they are expressed in some overlapping tissues. HNMT has a slightly higher affinity for histamine [Michaelis-Menten constant (kM): 6–13 μmol/L] than does DAO (kM: 20 μmol/L). In mammals, DAO expression is restricted to specific tissues; the highest activities are shown for small bowel and colon ascendens (4, 5, 33) and for placenta and kidney (28, 31). Lower DAO activity has been discussed as a potential indicator of intestinal mucosa damage in inflammatory and neoplastic diseases (17, 24, 34) and in persons undergoing chemotherapy (35). HNMT is widely expressed in human tissues; the greatest expression is in kidney and liver, followed by spleen, colon, prostate, ovary, spinal cord cells, bronchi, and trachea (36). HNMT is regarded as the key enzyme for histamine degradation in the bronchial epithelium (37)."

https://academic.oup.../5/1185/4633007

So while DAO may be the first level of defense against histamine in the digestive system, any histamine absorbed past that point must be acted upon by HNMT.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brainfog, mood swings, short term, histamine intolerance, blood sugar, intolerance, histamine, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users