Photo
- - - - -

Hard earned medical knowledge re:Prometheus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

Promethius wrote this in a post this morning (the post has too much...HTML? in it for me to be able to easily use the quote function):

"I think everyone cares about their credibility Scott. Medical doctors - in contrast to PhD's - appear to be a rare species on these fora. They should be protected and encouraged to share their hard-gained knowledge. Impostors, on the other hand, should be very quickly exposed, don't you think?"

[I've included the last part only for completeness sake. I will not adress it again]

"They should be protected and encouraged to share their hard-gained knowledge". I am very curious what kind of hard gain knowledge you had in mind. I do agree that hard earned medical knowledge AKA clinical experience is a very valuable commodity. But that is exactly what the recent witch hunts around here are against i.e. anectdotal experience. You don't seem to want acquired clinical experience, you want a pub med (medical literature) computer terminal. Acquired clinical experience is very valuable because stuff that works on paper don't always work in the real world, and there is stuff that works for which there is (alas) no good data. Thus:

In theory things are the same in theory and practice.
In practice they are not.

By all means verify who you are talking to, and check out the info, but you can not verify clinical experiene except by asking other docs and hoping they have acquired the same clicincal experience. In the..alternative world....heh lots of luck.

Prometheus, Opales, others comments?

#2 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

Bump. This one Jay.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:15 AM

Thanks.

• Lurker

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:25 AM

It's good to see you're legit, Andrew. Tres bien.

#5 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:06 AM

Yikes. Scott please. I have not used my first name...in Eons.

OMG you just checked the liscencing board.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

"They should be protected and encouraged to share their hard-gained knowledge". I am very curious what kind of hard gain knowledge you had in mind. I do agree that hard earned medical knowledge AKA clinical experience is a very valuable commodity. But that is exactly what the recent witch hunts around here are against i.e. anectdotal experience. You don't seem to want acquired clinical experience, you want a pub med (medical literature) computer terminal. Acquired clinical experience is very valuable because stuff that works on paper don't always work in the real world, and there is stuff that works for which there is (alas) no good data. Thus:

In theory things are the same in theory and practice.
In practice they are not.

As far as I can recall, it has not been the knowledgeable approach based on clinical experience that has been addressed lately. As I mentioned in another thread, medical knowledge that seems to be based on the experience gained by treating individuals by using unproven methods can be very beneficial. Like you mentioned, these are anecdotal facts and can be recognised as such when properly presented.

These valuable anecdotal facts however cannot be applied generally.

That's what the key issue seems to be. Results of research that has a very limited scope that was presented in a very generalised and biased way. “Research” that in some cases even was nothing more than anecdotal experience.

It’s the massive generalisation that was addressed. Generalisation applied by individuals without the proper medical background. Not the proper presentation of valuable anecdotal clinical experience.

Witch hunt? Hell no, educative approach and healthy common sense.

It’s the generalisation and polarisation that makes this world a bad place sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users