• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Overpopulation -- problem?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#91 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

You're all mixing the term 'society' with with the term 'state'.

Society is made up of individuals and cannot have any more rights than do the individuals that comprise it. Hence, either every individual has the right over every other individual's body except his/her own (which really doesn't make a whole ot of sense), or every individual only has the right over his/her own body. This is based on logic.

The state, on the other hand, is a different matter. The state can have no moral (that is, logical) basis for controlling the bodies of the individuals in the society the state rules over, but it can use force to do so. And this is how all states inherently work.

Edited by JLL, 12 September 2008 - 01:58 PM.

#92 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

It seems we're getting somewhere.

Kismet,

What part of "This will be a world without children" don't you understand? De Gray's position here is clear to anyone who isn't being intentionally obtuse. 

I don't think it's a matter of reading comprehension, but rather "obtuse" interpreation.
To me "The right to procreate will never be rated above the right of a currently living human being to continue living." is a condition that must be reached before
the other two statements come into play. Just because you bolded the last sentence, doesn't mean it is not meant in the context mentioned before. Taking things out of context often produces meaningless statements.

That's the only interpretation that makes sense anyway, do you really think Aubrey is so reckless to root for enforcing sterilisation even before it becomes necessary. Certainly not as this could harm the mfoundation's public image, he will probably always mention the bolded condition.
No, he presents sterilisation as an ultima ratio. Even though it may be inevitable in the far future, which the statement you bolded implies.

What I've suggested is far less radical (and it presupposes defeating aging, so it's nothing applicable to today's situation, only a hypothetical future one).
We'd continue having plenty of children, and absolutely no one would be forced to be sterilized; the procedure would be an entirely voluntary one not likely to be sought until past the point in the
normal life span in which having children is safe [/u] (except pursuant to your very tortured interpretation of what it means to be "forced" to do something).

As long as the "voluntary sterilisation" (euphemism) is inevitably coupled with life extension procedures it is by no means voluntary. If however it is truely voluntary and you may, but not have to, be sterilised during the treatment then it is truely voluntary sterilisation. This is not a matter of opinion, it is strict logic.

Saying that I must be a sadist is bizarre, since this voluntary treatment should entail no physical pain, and even if it did, I certainly wouldn't take pleasure from it
(that's what being a "sadist" means, but again you have played fast and loose with the English language).

I know the defintion of a sadist and used it in the right context with that meaning in mind. I've even read Marquis de Sade's 120 days of sodom and I'm pretty sure that guy can give people an idea what sadism means. The word "sadist" is pretty universal part of most languages (at least of all the 3 I can speak more or less well), so it cannot be my lack of understanding of the English language that you implied. Either you did not understand what I wrote or I did not make myself clear enough.
However, the point I made is of minor relevance now.

To build on my proposal, I think it would be reasonable to wait twenty five years or so after age rejuvenation treatments first become broadly available to the general public before taking the
course of action I've suggested, and see how population grows during that period. Obviously, not making people choose between sterilization and life extension would be ideal, if practicable. In
order to maximize the odds of escaping the inevitability of world overpopulation due to defeating aging, the nations of the world would immediately need to adopt strong economic incentives
encouraging very low birth rates. If at the end of this period, population is increasing in an unsustainable manner, something akin to the course I have proposed would have to be adopted.

Great. I wanted you to be more open minded towards alternatives all along. First the less radical plans - they may work - and before it is too late we'd need to adopt sterilisation, or something similar, as an ultima ratio. That's a good idea.

Perhaps I am too pessimistic, and humans are innately reasonable creatures; I doubt it.

I don't think they are reasonable either. However, they don't need to be reasonable to make right choices. Not reproducing for the 'survival of mankind' may be intuitive enough so that no reason is needed.
There was also a second point I wanted to make. As you did not object to it in your post, I'll assume that you agree. Those people who are reasonable, or at least act reasonable, i.e. those who naturally do not want to reproduce, don't need to be "forced", "convinced" or "subjected to" to sterilisation when they undergoe life extension treatments.
You don't need to throw thyphoid Mary into jail if she doesn't infect others, do you?

As far as colonizing other worlds goes, I think it's clearly very unlikely that we'll be able to shift significant portions of the Earth's population off planet in the near future

It clearly is not. Which is my opinion and I have stated it several times. Let's agree that we disagree, that's fine. My position still stands: SENS type approaches are not easier to implement than colonsing our solar system, or at least the moon.
If you want to discuss this issue further, let's both bring forth (evidence and fact based) arguments.

(and I can't imagine that as being anything but voluntary, if and when it happens), whereas I think it's likely we will have access to age rejuvenation treatments within the next 20 years.
And anyway, what good will this option do for those inhabitants of Earth who don't want to leave it, or the survival and health of Earth's ecosystem itself? What, you think gambling on the chance of 
being able to escape a ship you've allowed to founder is good enough?! To me, your position is absolutely unethical and illogical. 

The position, though it is not even one, as it is just an idea/a proposal, is neither unethical nor illogical. I promise I can find at least 100 million volunteers, including me. Certainly we'd not force anyone, incentives and man's inherent curiosity should be enough. People do not even need to live on another planet forever, they can be swapped out with other volunteers.
Neither is it gambling anything, as it is just one of the many solutions, that taken together are quite powerful.

My proposal probably doesn't go far enough to matching the challenge of overpopulation in a near-term scenario in which we have overcome aging. But as a practical matter, De Gray's solution
(which would apparently entail forced sterilization, and well in advance of any rejuvenation treatment) won't be practicable until we are at rope's end, so to speak, or humanity's mores have been
significantly transformed.

So be it. It is nothing but an ultima ratio. As long as it is not needed no one wants it to be enforced, because it would be extremly difficult to enforce in the near term and as such poses a threat to mankind in itself. We don't need to be at the rope's end, just close enough to see the end and meassures will be taken!

#93 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

Conintued, board does not allow that many quote tags in one post...

As far as having the "right to live in freedom" goes, it doesn't extend to situations in which that exercise of "freedom" endangers others. As an example, Typhoid Mary may have been immune to her
disease, but others weren't, and society rightly acts to protect itself in such situations--Typhoid Mary's rights were, and are, subordinate to a society's "right" and obligation to protect itself and
the greater good of all of its members. Aubrey said essentially the same thing 

No one disagrees.

I'm not alone in this thread in advocating voluntary sterilization for receipt of age rejuvenation treatments. Strigiform said he's open to the idea of making receipt of age
rejuvenation treatments contingent on voluntary acceptance of sterilization on an individual basis. And even if I was "alone" in my opinion as regards forum members who have posted in this thread,
I consider Aubrey De Gray to be good company. (He is a forum member, by the way; I wonder if he'll post in this thread. I expect not.) I'm also confident our greatest past political philosophers,
such as Thomas Hobbes, the author of The Leviathan (a principal source of inspiration to the Founding Fathers of the United States), would agree with me. It's a simple utilitarian calculus.

You're not the only one, but rigorous, preemptive sterilisation is a minority opnion and I just wanted to remind you of that in my prior post. I am well aware of the fact that "ag24" is an advisor of the board. Hobbes is dead.

We must put the needs of humanity and the ecosystem above our own selfish desires. The problem with life extensionists is that too many fail to think beyond their own personal well-being,
or past the point of achieving an ageless society, as though upon achieving this objective we'll all experience some transcendent moment of Rapture and walk off happily ever after into the sunset.
But the math is inescapable, or so it seems to me. Courage requires confronting tough choices squarely, without fearing how others may perceive you.

Selfish desires made me an immortalist. If my children endanger whole mankind, including myself, selfishness dictates not to reproduce. Even for selfish people it can be as simple as that. If I was a deathist on the other hand...

And, Kismet, if "the right to life" means what you say it does, it follows that every human being, and not just every American, has a fundamental right to receive these treatments, regardless of wealth or lack thereof. Now so far, I am absolutely the only person in this thread who has expressed concern regarding the "equal access" problem--what about inhabitants of Third World nations?

Yes, they should be concerend if they believe in the same kind of freedom as I do, though, they may think more like you, or believe in god or the spaghetti monster. I believe in personal responsibility. And I believe that egoism combined with common sense works pretty well in life.
Equal access is a problem that CANNOT be solved. I choose the lesser evil, some people die (those who won't get the treatment in time), not all (no one ever gets the treatment).
It may be against "the right to life", but rules are there to be broken, sometimes.

Why aren't you equally concerned about all those who won't have access to these treatments because of an accident of birth? Is it only yourself you care about? What, do you revel in the thought of all those persons of color dying off, whilst you live "forever"? How sadistic of you! ;)

(See how two can play the distortion game?)

I don't play no distortion game. Spare me from the ridicule, I sincerly tried to  bring across my point.
Firstly the statement you're making fun of was meant to show you that, yes, I am egoistic and akin to a nihlist, but nonetheless such a person can accept the necessary rules. I wouldn't mind being sadistic, but I am not.
Secondly I implied that you must be sadistic if you want me, or anyone else for that matter, to undergo sterilisation even though, they're not going to reproduce.

Edited by kismet, 13 September 2008 - 04:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

i have a great idea: why not develop super data compression algorithms to fight overpopulation: when we will be in the matrix and our mind computerized, mind-compression algorithms will allow to spare much room. More seriously, there is a report button next to each message; if you think that some msgs (above) are personally abusive or defamatory (about imminst's members, like this msg ;) )...

#95 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:59 AM

Here's what we need to reign in the genetic roulette;

1. procreational licenses - to prove that you are able and committed to parenting a child
2. mandatory pre-implantation screening - to eliminate all known bad genes and unreasonable predisposition towards disease
3. limiting the number of surviving and procreating children that a parent can have

some sheeple believe it's their right to procreate as much as they like - but clearly this effects others, especially the children that are born

#96 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

As far as colonizing other worlds goes, I think it's clearly very unlikely that we'll be able to shift significant portions of the Earth's population off planet in the near future

It clearly is not. Which is my opinion and I have stated it several times. Let's agree that we disagree, that's fine. My position still stands: SENS type approaches are not easier to implement than colonsing our solar system, or at least the moon.
If you want to discuss this issue further, let's both bring forth (evidence and fact based) arguments.

With truly massive sums of money and a half century of effort, we have placed some tiny satellites and a handful of humans in space. Putting hundreds of millions, (or billions!) of humans into space, along with the necessary life support for "a long time", is going to require huge technological breakthroughs, such as a space elevator. SENS only requires the application of existing biochemical techniques. Further, what have we spent on SENS, to date? A hundred grand or two? If we just applied NASA's budget to SENS for a few decades, a good bit of it would likely be knocked off. Since I have a fair understanding of both engineering and biochemistry, I will offer my opinion that SENS is significantly easier, or at least cheaper, than colonising (to a significant extent relative to our population) our solar system or even the moon.

#97 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

Everyone that frequents Yahoo!Answers and 4chan should be shipped off to a remote, inescapable toxic waste disposal site. That would fix quite a bit.

Edited by REGIMEN, 16 September 2008 - 10:54 AM.

#98 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

I would like to share a bit of input. First of all I do not believe that overpopulation will be a concern because I feel as though the overwhelming majority of people in industrialized nations would much rather have sex all of the time and not have many children. However, it is unscientific to make such assumptions, so I have constructed a variety of MFURI projects that will investigate these very issues. If any of you are students and would like opportunities to get university credit and scholarships for REALLY researching these issues, please let me know.

#99 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

I would like to share a bit of input. First of all I do not believe that overpopulation will be a concern because I feel as though the overwhelming majority of people in industrialized nations would much rather have sex all of the time and not have many children. However, it is unscientific to make such assumptions, so I have constructed a variety of MFURI projects that will investigate these very issues. If any of you are students and would like opportunities to get university credit and scholarships for REALLY researching these issues, please let me know.

it's certainly been that way in Japan (dwindling birth rate) which proves that societal and cultural programming can trump biological instinct to have children (assuming it is more than the sex drive)

#100 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Kismet,

My apologies for not replying sooner; I've been out of the country on a vacation (and still am.)

I find your most recent replies above thoughtful, reflective, and interesting, although I don't agree with all of your conclusions. However, I don't think it's helpful for me to rebut once again conclusions I don't agree with, or we'll just do a circular dance.

Hopefully my "smiley face" comment was not regarded by you as a personal attack, but a sarcastic comment in reply to having been named by you as a nazi sadist.

Anyway. One thing you may wish to reflect further upon is the ultimate source of any "personal right". Central to your argument seems to be the idea that the ability to procreate is an immutable, fundamental right. By way of analogy, I have the physical ability to beat a person who annoys me over the head with a hammer, but no right to do so, except in certain narrowly defined circumstances (self-defense, etc.). In actuality, procreation is simply a physical ability, as is bashing someone's head in with a hammer; our "right" to procreate is not written in the sky but rather established by the community in which we live. All rights are communal in nature, and what the community can grant, the community can and will take away or circumscribe if it perceives that right to threaten its continued existence.

(It may not have escaped your notice that in times past, a "gentleman" would indeed have had the "right" to take the life of a person who offended him, by way of a duel or otherwise. Our specific personal rights (and obligations) change over time as our community changes. As with the right to duel, so perhaps the unfettered right to procreate in a future threatened by global overpopulation).

Edited by TianZi, 24 September 2008 - 07:09 PM.

#101 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

I don't consider permanent sterilization as criminal and anyway we will have to reorganise the futur with the consequence of life extention. i don't speculate with the future and don't expect peoples to take care of that themself. If you let the choice to a woman born in one the countries you named to control birth, she would surely accept.

Sterilization could be a solution after a first child. Overpopulation is also due to stupid religious rules wich afford women to obtain contraception. Abortion, codoms and coild are not for pets.

I lived in an ovepopulated house of seven children, space and intimity was a "luxe". LOL
http://en.wikipedia....y_sterilization

#102 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

Just a question, If a cure of aging arrives, how should we solve the problem with overpopulation???

(edited by Matthias: threads 26031 & 1014 merged)

Edited by Matthias, 29 November 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#103 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:23 AM

We should solve the problem of scarcity to mitigate overpopulation. People tend to get fewer children when basic needs are being fulfilled. Forcing people to have fewer children should not be an option IMO. Overpopulation is a function of resources, not a function of space... yet... and for a long time to come.

BTW forcing people to die will probably not be possible in a democracy.

Edited by lightowl, 29 November 2008 - 04:24 AM.

#104 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:32 AM

Also, having a cure for aging does not mean everybody will become instantly virtually immortal. We have a cure for most types TB, yet millions of people are still dying from TB every year. The same goes for many other illnesses including something as arcane as Diarrhea. Hundreds of millions of people still don't have access to clean drinking water. These people wont benefit from any cure for aging before scarcity is largely solved. Those sitting on the money/resources are certainly not going to give them away any time soon.

#105 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

This is a great article on the overpopulation question, from H+ Magazine.

The article, titled "The Distribution of Post-Humanity" is on page 12 of the pdf file. In it, Ramez Naam says:

In any case, aging isn't going to be cured tomorrow. I walk through some calculations that if you could raise global life expectancy to 120 tears by 2050 - almost twice what it is today - you would raise the 2050 population from the current projection of 8.9 billion people to 9.4 billion people. That's a good-sized increase, but as a percentage of population, it's actually smaller than the change that occurred between 1970 and 1973.

#106 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

In any case, aging isn't going to be cured tomorrow. I walk through some calculations that if you could raise global life expectancy to 120 tears by 2050 - almost twice what it is today - you would raise the 2050 population from the current projection of 8.9 billion people to 9.4 billion people. That's a good-sized increase, but as a percentage of population, it's actually smaller than the change that occurred between 1970 and 1973.

In addition Niner the upward projection of over 11 billion (some claim even over 12 billion) by 2050 isn't based on increasing the life expectancy of the First World by increasing life spans to over 100 years, it is based on raising the living standard of the Third world and increasing their life expectancy closer to parity with the Industrialized World.

So is anyone seriously arguing that modern medicine, nutrition and other advantages should be denied to them because more of the most underprivileged and impoverished members of humanity would survive?

BTW we are already on track to over 8 billion and 9 billion looks pretty likely without any introduction of radical life extension.

#107 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

You're all mixing the term 'society' with with the term 'state'.

Society is made up of individuals and cannot have any more rights than do the individuals that comprise it. Hence, either every individual has the right over every other individual's body except his/her own (which really doesn't make a whole ot of sense), or every individual only has the right over his/her own body. This is based on logic.

The state, on the other hand, is a different matter. The state can have no moral (that is, logical) basis for controlling the bodies of the individuals in the society the state rules over, but it can use force to do so. And this is how all states inherently work.

were it such a world

water fluoridation is largely voted down, but the states and local governments spring it on the people anyways

people don't care about logic, they are driven by other forces

Edited by abolitionist, 29 November 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#108 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

it's true that the more primal of our species tends to breed more, and usually not out of planning

(at least that's my observation...) I don't know why people are so reluctant to adopt when there are so many starving children, it's a point of pride to some people to have alot of kids

The elite likely use overpopulation as an argument against life extension, and it's a good one - we should be restricting procreation to allow for better quality and less quantity, and longer lives

We really procreate recklessly as a species. Look at all the people in third world countries having babies when they are starving... they simply can't control themselves.

Edited by abolitionist, 29 November 2008 - 04:26 PM.

#109 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

The elite likely use overpopulation as an argument against life extension, and it's a good one

I don't think its such a good argument. We already have overpopulation in poor countries without indefinite life extension. Its because of a limited amount of resources. Before people have enough resources to sustain basic living standards they wont be bothered about extending their life. Having more children in such a situation makes more sense because the risk of child mortality is greater, and more children means more hands to bring home food for the family.

they simply can't control themselves.

Its not a matter of "cant" but they "wont" control it. Making children has always been what made the human race survive. That goes for any other living species as well.

#110 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

I was thinking this week, we worry that we may not be able to control a potential population problem. Whats so hard about telling people to have less kids now? How many amongst us even have kids anyways? When I was a kid I remember rarely ever meeting sombody that didnt have kids. Now I know a ton of people that dont. It wont be that hard to convince most people not to have more than one kid, and even if they do, it will still average out low.

I was also thinking, what objections would there be to passing laws to do something relatively simple like cutting the tubes of all males who commit felonies and only allowing them to reconnect after they have met certain conditions? I might be wrong about that and Im more than willing to change my mind about it, so please dont jump all over me if you disagree with that. I mean, there are ton of illegimate crack babies and non cared for babies being born every day because these people want to smoke crack and do whatever and knock up random people. As over population becomes more and more of a serious challenge, how is that acceptable? Is reproduction a basic human right? We have a basic human right to not be burdened out of being able to obtain life extension therapies because of them right?

#111 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

I was also thinking, what objections would there be to passing laws to do something relatively simple like cutting the tubes of all males who commit felonies and only allowing them to reconnect after they have met certain conditions? I might be wrong about that and Im more than willing to change my mind about it, so please dont jump all over me if you disagree with that. I mean, there are ton of illegimate crack babies and non cared for babies being born every day because these people want to smoke crack and do whatever and knock up random people. As over population becomes more and more of a serious challenge, how is that acceptable? Is reproduction a basic human right? We have a basic human right to not be burdened out of being able to obtain life extension therapies because of them right?

You may want to read up on the history of eugenics in America, which was the precursor and inspiration to what took root in Europe and culminated in Nazi Germany. I recommend "War on the Weak" by Edwin Black. It provides a forceful argument against what many people today may regard as 'reasonable' eugenic practices (my use of this term implies coercion by the state), such as sterilizing criminals.

BTW, I am not interested in engaging in an argument/discussion with any pro-eugenicists here, so please don't bother.

#112 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

and Im not interested in engaging in any discussions with non free thinking people so dont worry about it.

#113 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

and Im not interested in engaging in any discussions with non free thinking people so dont worry about it.

I was referring only to certain people at the forums that seem to be rabidly pro-eugenics and like to jump into such debates every time the subject is mentioned, and I didn't want to have this thread turn into a eugenics debate. I hope you don't consider me to be non free-thinking for having taken a stance on the issue (if I read your quote correctly).

#114 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Oh, good, no, never mind then.

#115 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

we are humans , not flies in a sugar solution, of course we would be able to control overpopulation if a cure for aging arrived since people would procreate less.

These arguments only comes from the stockholm syndrome, I mean people are so used to living under the terror of aging that they can't think in different ways.

Let's cure aging now!

#116 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

we are humans , not flies in a sugar solution, of course we would be able to control overpopulation if a cure for aging arrived since people would procreate less.

These arguments only comes from the stockholm syndrome, I mean people are so used to living under the terror of aging that they can't think in different ways.

Let's cure aging now!

We definately can do it. But will we without laws to ensure it? Many have the self control and many simply don't.

Unfortunately those with self control also breed less...

Eugenics has been stigmatized by reactionary christians like Alex Jones or the Vatican

Eugenics simply means good genes, while dysgenics means bad genes.

The problem is cultural eugenics vs. medical eugenics.

For instance there is no evidence that there is any harm in having a darker pigment skin, and no reason to screen for this trait.

However there is evidence that certain deletions or mutations lead to serious genetic diseases - and very few have treatments much less cures.

We'll certainly develope screening before we can develope cures, and why create a bad gene to be fixed later?

Anti-eugenicists need to be more specific about their concerns of cultural eugenics and not target all medically necessary genetic practices, or reasonable population control.

Edited by abolitionist, 14 December 2008 - 06:23 AM.

#117 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

Is procreation an inherent an inalienable right of the individual?

No. We currently prevent severely mentally 'challenged' individuals from breeding because they simply can't care for their children.

Likewise, criminals are not good parents, nor those with AIDS (many still keep breeding)

----------------

An individual loses their right to procreate when it impedes upon the right of those we create - for those we create have a right to be created intentionally with their best interests in mind.

They deserve parents who can care for them as well as to be free of known bad genes.

Edited by abolitionist, 14 December 2008 - 06:27 AM.

#118 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:29 AM

We can't be letting religious theories (especially Christian) invade public policy.

which would include some 'god given' right to procreate as you see fit

Notice how the Vatican has come out against genetic screening and invitro fertilization?

Their reasoning is purely dogmatic. It isn't harm to those we create that they are trying to prevent.

In fact, the Vatican is encouraging genetic diseases by forbidding genetic screening before implantation (where it should occur - not after a child is already made).

Edited by abolitionist, 14 December 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#119 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:41 AM

Everyone that frequents Yahoo!Answers and 4chan should be shipped off to a remote, inescapable toxic waste disposal site. That would fix quite a bit.

sounds like planet earth and all the involuntary medications and toxins that the US governmental regulatory agencies allow for and even promote

like water fluoridation or weather modification studies, Aspartame, or mercury in shots (which is no longer needed for preservation), or US military bioweapons found in Merck vaccines meant for the public..

the list goes on and on and on

#120 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

I will simply paste a response of mine from another thread, as it seems quite relevant to this one.

I said:

With regard to the supposed overpopulation issue. The thing people need to remember is that most people who speak of overpopulation live in congested cities or suburbs, where there is, indeed an overpopulation issue. Not because the world, as a whole, is overpopulated, but because the area they choose to, or by circumstance, must inhabit, tend to be overridden with a population that pushes the capacity of these environments.

New york city alone has more inhabitants than the states of Iowa, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Missouri all put together. That is New york City, not new york state, mind you. The populations of these other states are spread out a lot more sparsely, I promise you. Visit wyoming whenever you have a chance. Another thing that people do not take into account is the fact that two thirds of the earth is ocean. If we could build underwater habitats we could support a population 500 times that of what we current have.

If we could build underground habitats we could support a population 2000 times that of this estimate. Even with the current land masses, we could support approximately 20 times as many people and still have plenty of room to breathe and for privacy IF we spread habitats out evenly instead of concentrating all economic activity in one of many specifically zoned areas, like major cities. The truth of the matter is, the technology to build underwater habitats is available, the technology to build super structures, both above and below the surface of the earth, is there.

The thing holding us back is this limited western economy. Greed will get you cars, houses, fortunes. But it will seldom get you progress. For that you need cooperation, respect for your environment, and a mutual incentive for surviving beyond our established perameters. The world is not overpopulated at all. We simply need to deal with our population in a more all encompassing, compassionate way that does not lead to hording, but to cooperation and respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users