• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is it safe to drink olive oil to gain weight?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:48 AM

Im tall and skinny and I wanna put on some healthy weight. I have a small appetite and usually eat 2-3 times a day. I have just started drinking about 3-4 Tbs of olive oil a day to get some extra calories in my diet. What is the most olive or safflower oil that I should drink in a day?

#2 the_eternal

• 66 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

Eat 5-6 small meals through the day (force yourself if you have to), and don't be afraid to snack if you wanna put on weight, if you're really up for it go to your local suppliments store and get some of the weight gaining products, hit those up 3 times a day with 1/2L of milk should get some size on ya. I hope you're going to the gym as well... for the other meals (I'm no expert and I don't know if the others will agree with me) but go for lots of protein and carbs, fat isn't a good or healthy way to put on size.
  • dislike x 1

#3 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

Im tall and skinny and I wanna put on some healthy weight.

By "healthy weight," I assume you mean non-fat weight. And that really means you want to add muscle. Am I right?

If so, then you're not gonna get there by consuming olive oil. Some olive oil is good for you, but too much and you're going to intake more calories than you burn each day, and that leads to unhealthy weight got (a.k.a. fat).

Your best bet is resistant-style exercises. This will build muscle (healthy weight gain), which in turn help burn bodyfat.

The last thing you want to do is merely overeat and add fat to your body. Strength training will trigger adaptive muscle growth that turns your food consumption into healthy skeletal muscle -- assuming you consume at least 1 gram of complete protein per pound of body mass (minus the number of pounds of bodyfat you have, which in your case is likely not much, so you can ignore this part of the equation).

Adding muscle is a seriously healthy thing to do, as it leads to lower blood pressure, lower chance of diabetes (better blood sugar tolerance), stronger immunity, stronger bones/tendons/ligaments, better posture, better cholesterol profile, and your body can better regulate its temperature. As a bonus, these things, for most people, lead to a longer life.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

Assuming you take in sufficient protein and are already training, some additional olive oil won't hurt. I would look towards adding other caloric-dense foods: more nuts, eggs, etc.

#5 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that certain genetic factors affect what would be considered healthy weight levels.
http://www.obesityre...t/full/12/3/440

For your typical white guy like myself, a BMI of 25 is considered overweight (used to be 27.5), and 30 is considered obese. On the other hand, for certain Asian groups, a BMI of 23 is considered overweight, and 25 is considered obese. In fact, according to the page I linked to, "Several studies conducted in China (2) (3) , Japan (4) , Taiwan (5) , and Hong Kong (6) have reported an association between a BMI >22.3 kg/m2 and increased atherogenic risk factors." (bold my emphasis)

Of course, these are generalities across large segments of the world's population, so factors such as height, muscle mass, etc., are not taken into account. But in general, certain groups of Asians tend to be "skinnier", and it's not just due to lower body fat, but lower lean mass as well. Packing on fat to compensate only makes matters worse, as you can see from the reported tripled risks of "diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidemia" at a BMI as low as 26.0.

Packing on lean muscle, as dukenukem suggests, would be the best thing to do. Olive oil shouldn't hurt, as long as you're adding muscle mass, not fat mass. But adding muscle mass requires maintaining high blood levels of amino acids, which requires round-the-clock protein consumption (not just once or twice a day), totalling at least 1 gram per pound of lean mass, as duke pointed out.

BTW, sorry to make an assumption that you're Asian, I'm just basing it off your avatar pic.

#6 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

But adding muscle mass requires

Hmm, I suppose I should be clear that you can add muscle mass without "maintaining high blood levels of amino acids", and without protein consumption "totalling at least 1 gram per pound of lean mass". So it's not "required", per se.

But muscle gain is optimal with those two conditions met (in addition to resistance training, adequate sleep, etc.).

#7 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hmm, I suppose I should be clear that you can add muscle mass without "maintaining high blood levels of amino acids", and without protein consumption "totalling at least 1 gram per pound of lean mass". So it's not "required", per se.

/Me agrees on above. Maybe you would need so much protein if you were to add too much body mass in too little time. But for regular healthly excercise you do not need to add much more (if any) protein than usually. I've been going to gym for more than 2 years, change didn't happen overnight, but i completely transformed my body. Lost so much fat and added lean muscle. I'm not into BB, i do not want to be big. I only bough 2kg whey protein once and it lasted me 10months as i didn't bother with it. I know many who become huge but never eat more than protein than average person do. So it's mostly about genetics, not protein intake :)

#8 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Forgot to say, you might want to increase protein intake in the begining as it will help with post workout recovery. But if you don't mind DOMS then it's not needed :)

#9 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

I also brought up the round-the-clock protein and high protein intake, since, if he's having trouble putting on muscle mass, his body might be burning muscle too easily, and low amino acids levels will contribute to muscle burn. High amino acid levels can help prevent catabolism.

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

When it comes to eating meat/eggs, eating round the clock really isn't needed. Three meals a day is fine. If you're talking whey shakes, then you will need it more often, although I really wouldn't ingest that much whey.

#11 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:11 PM

I also brought up the round-the-clock protein and high protein intake, since, if he's having trouble putting on muscle mass, his body might be burning muscle too easily, and low amino acids levels will contribute to muscle burn.

This is why I eat actual lean turkey meat (carved, usually bought from Whole Foods -- $12 / lb, but totally worth it), because it will digest more slowly through the night, helping to stave off muscle breakdown. Whey protein is entirely useless for this because it is very fast digesting (one of the reason it's great for post workout recovery, or for waking up in the morning -- anytime you need protein fast).

Also, I dip my turkey pieces into seasoned olive oil, further slowing down digestion. Any meat will do the trick, but lean meat is healthier, of course. BTW, it's generally smart not to eat carbs within 2-3 hours of bedtime, because it prevents your body from more quickly entering a fat-burning mode during the night -- you need to burn through the carb-sugar supply first.

#12 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:35 AM

By "healthy weight," I assume you mean non-fat weight. And that really means you want to add muscle. Am I right?

Yep, your right, I want to add non-fat weight. I dont wanna be huge. I wanna be lean and healthy. I only wanna gain about 10-15 pounds at the most. Im about 6'2 170lbs and I wanna be 180-185lbs. Sounds easy but I dont like eating huge meals all the time. Lifting weights is the only thing that helps my appetite. It makes me very hungry a few hours after.

BTW, sorry to make an assumption that you're Asian, I'm just basing it off your avatar pic.

Im a typical white guy just like you. My avatar isnt me.

What would be the easiest way of doing this? I have always tried to aim for 1 gram per kilo of bodyweight, 1 gram per pound sounds kinda high, though Im not saying its bad or less effective. I was thinking about adding powdered milk and maybe some casein protein cause they are digested quite slowly.

Eat 5-6 small meals through the day (force yourself if you have to)

That would be very tough for me to do cause I hate forcing myself to eat. I used to force myself to eat 4-5 meals a day and I had more muscle at the time but it wasnt worth it to me. I hate having to eat a lot. 3 meals a day is my max for now on.

Forgot to say, you might want to increase protein intake in the begining as it will help with post workout recovery. But if you don't mind DOMS then it's not needed

DOMS is actually one of my favorite side effects from weight training. It feels great to me.

Edited by guyledouche, 12 April 2006 - 04:55 AM.

#13 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:33 AM

If 3 meals/day is your max, you're going to have to eat some killer meals....I wouldn't be surprised at 1000+ Cal/meal. 6'2" @ 170 doesn't sound that bad to me...I've got a friend that is 6'2" @155....that is pretty lean. Damn ectomorphic bastards. Get about the amount of protein that has been recommended, then jack up the fat. I'd aim for meat/egg protein before milk protein on a daily basis.

But, if you hate eating huge meals, just don't worry about and be happy you aren't fat.

#14 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

You have a BMI of 21.8

I think you are at a good weight right now, as you are not skinny and not fat.

#15 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

If 3 meals/day is your max, you're going to have to eat some killer meals....I wouldn't be surprised at 1000+ Cal/meal. 6'2" @ 170 doesn't sound that bad to me...I've got a friend that is 6'2" @155....that is pretty lean. Damn ectomorphic bastards. Get about the amount of protein that has been recommended, then jack up the fat. I'd aim for meat/egg protein before milk protein on a daily basis.

But, if you hate eating huge meals, just don't worry about and be happy you aren't fat.

I get sick of eating the same type of meat two days in a row. I can only eat eggs 2-3 times a week at the most. I get sick of them fast.

"Get about the amount of protein that has been recommended, then jack up the fat."<<< Thats what I was thinking also. No point in increasing protein intake, I dont want to be a BB + Im only trying to gain 10-15lbs, not 50 lbs.

You have a BMI of 21.8

I think you are at a good weight right now, as you are not skinny and not fat.

I guess I didnt realize how normal my size was guys, I feel kinda skinny. Would I be just as healthy if I gained 10-15lbs or would I be healthier?

Edited by guyledouche, 13 April 2006 - 12:00 AM.

#16 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

Do you know what your jacket/pant size is? That might give a better estimation of your size.

#17 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:04 AM

Do you know what your jacket/pant size is? That might give a better estimation of your size.

My pant size is about 32-32. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

#18 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

It doesn't really matter. If you would like some extra mass to carry around, go for it.

If all else fails, there are certain things that you can take to increase your appetite.

My lifestyle calls for a a smaller physique than some, so I generally gravitate toward a 40" coat and 32" pants being ideal size. I'm only 5'10", though.

#19 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

It doesn't really matter. If you would like some extra mass to carry around, go for it.

If all else fails, there are certain things that you can take to increase your appetite.

My lifestyle calls for a a smaller physique than some, so I generally gravitate toward a 40" coat and 32" pants being ideal size. I'm only 5'10", though.

Are there really somethings I can take to increase my appetite? What might they be?

#20 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:54 AM

Ginger
THC

#21 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:51 AM

Ginger
THC

1) good idea
2) HORRIBLE idea

#22 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:07 AM

"Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage."

While I do not encourage marijuana use, it will help you eat like a female freshman.
  • like x 1

#23 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

Would the Ginger keep me from losing my appetite if I were to get nervous? I lose my appetite sometimes when something is bothering me. Though I havent noticed much stress since starting the Rhodiola a few weeks ago. I'd like to try the Ginger, sounds cool.

Shepard, THC does work great for my appetite [thumb] Unfortunately I dont support that kind of drug use anymore.

#24 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

Using weed to enhance appetitie is not a good idea as you would need to use it daily. Though for 2-3 times a month relaxation and mind rest weed can be nice.

#25 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

Ginger is a CCK antagonist, and it should help to keep appetite elevated in most situations.

P.S. The weed/THC thing was a joke.

#26 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

shepard
we know it's a joke, but some random browsing visitor might find it "good idea" and a good excuse to use weed :)

#27 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

I guess I didnt realize how normal my size was guys, I feel kinda skinny.  Would I be just as healthy if I gained 10-15lbs or would I be healthier?

I thought that a BMI between 18.5 to around 21 was optimal. I know all about skinny though as my BMI haven't really gone above 19.5. When I started CR I weighed 118lb's at 5ft 7" and now around 110lb's [mellow]

Thats skinny...

#28 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

guy: continue taking olive oil, nuts, and don't forget avocados and alaskan salmon (wild) as your fat sources. just keep them balanced with the other macros.

#29 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

For appetite 3-10mg B12 (methyl form or injections).
I've never heard about ginger, seems a good thing to try :)

#30 stormheller

• 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

BMI is bullshit, man. It doesn't matter if you're skinny or fat, if you're eating three square meals a day and not sitting on your ass playing video games all the time you're all right. My BMI is 34 but I'm as hale as a horse. My friend's is 17 and she's fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users