• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Any followers of Dr Daniel Amen? Anyone took SPECT brain scans?

dr daniel amen spect brain scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

I'm finishing one of Daniel Amen's book and looked at another (they are all similar). His theory is the only thing that makes sense regarding mental health in my family. We all have multiple confusing issues that is next to impossible to classify using conventional psychiatry. 

Right now, I'm serious considering SPECT brain scan at his clinic. Yes, it's expensive (about $4000), but wasted as much or more over many years on various drugs, treatments, and supplements that didn't quite work well.  This guy is criticized for making a buck for his talent and discovery. If he was in academia and published the results in peer reviewed papers, he would be probably an acclaimed expert by now and maybe even a Nobelist material (this approach is revolutionizing psychiatry). 

The other controversy is radiation dose, but according to my findings, it's comparable to abdominal CT. Here is more info:https://www.mayoclin...t/pac-20384925 

Ideally, fMRI would be better, but I'm not aware of use of that outside research in psychiatry.  

On the other hand, the read of his book gives me some good ideas how my scan may look based on various symptoms. I may as well do a combination treatment fist on myself to see how it goes. 

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

Thanks. I go back and forth on Daniel Amen's contributions. I got super interested in SPECT probably a decade ago but then cooled.

It makes sense to look at brain imaging, doesn't it, I mean we use imaging to provide hints about other problems in the body, so why not the physical brain?

But I got turned off by his work -- not merely due to price (at the time his entire workup was $3,800) -- but also due to my perception the state of the art. Psychiatry is more of an art, I think.

Sure, looking at images of the human brain may be instructive with regard to what's going on. Or maybe not. But looking at the brain is way more complex than looking at the knee, for example. And imaging of the knee may indicate damage -- yes, this ligament is torn, e.g. -- but this damage may or may not be relevant to healing it or diminishing pain. Knees are complex; brains are complex.

Then I got turned off by his recommendations post-imaging. They seem wonderful ideas --to eat a healthy diet, to exercise, to take some targeted-supplements, meditate, to maintain healthy relationships, control stress, and all of this is very positive advice. Why do I need a SPECT scan if this is what you're gonna tell me afterwards?

He makes a great point that psychiatry hasn't evolved much since 1840. We who are fucked sideways by the indignities and tragedies of chronic depression are sent by well-meaning folks to see psychologists and psychiatrists. To psychologists we are earnestly asked and listened to about our feelings. To psychiatrists we fill out questionnaires asking how awful we feel, then we're given a revolving circus of potent drugs that are claimed to be science-based. This is the system we're trapped within, so Dr. Amen and his SPECT scans and insight offer an alternative to the mainstream model.

So I've changed my mind about Amen; but I'm still not sure he understands as much about the human brain as he seems to be indicating. Maybe I'm wrong. But even if he has conducted hundreds of thousands of SPECT scans and is theoretically able to see patterns and trends in treatments, I'm still not sold.

Incidentally, Amen was interviewed on the "Live Long and Master Aging" podcast, you may wanna have a hear; I really liked his message, the words coming out of his mouth. I'll go to great lengths to help ease my depression, we're all vulnerable, though. Sorry I wrote so much :-(
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Sthira,

Thanks for chiming in. To be honest, I was skeptical of Dr Amen first time I've heard about him about 2 years ago. His website seemed very commercial and looked like a bait to get you in to scan your brain. Unfortunately, I waited too long to read his books.  In his book he freely shares what he knows about different patterns of brain scans and he matches that with multiple case studies and if one is smart enough, you can figure out what pattern (or patterns, in my case more than 1) applies to you . He clearly explains that you don't have to have your brain scanned to understand it and benefit from that knowledge. The scans were necessary for him to make the connection between different types of brain malfunction and successful treatment options. As for the treatments, he offers several levels of options: simple life adjustments, diet, supplements, therapy, feedback, and prescriptions. The diet manipulation is specific for different types of patterns. Knowing what I learned on my own in this 2 year + intense study of psychology/psychiatry, his advice is spot on and very common sense.

I my case, i tried simple things already and need meds. Based on the insight, this is the first time i combined a stimulant, SSRI, and mood stabilizer. All in small doses. The combo seems to be working, but had to add anxiolytic in PM to cover the forth dimension in my brain. Maybe I'll pocket the $4000?

I'll try that podcast, thanks. Will check for his interviews on youtube too.

Edited by jack black, 10 July 2018 - 08:24 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

I listened to the podcast and looks like his interest is evolving from treating brain impairments to preventing brain impairments. Very common sense. He is not pushing SPECT scans either. He proposes questionnaire and psychometric tests as screens and doing SPECT in selected unusual results.

Furthermore, I just figured out he offers free online "brain typing" tool that is supposed to predict results of your SPECT scan. I took one and it told me exactly what I figured out from reading the entire book. This is frigging unbelievable! BTW, you don't have to put your real name or valid email to get results at the end. 

Longecity, here you go: https://brainhealthassessment.com

I wish I knew that 2 years ago when I started my journey here, this would have saved me a lot of grief, time, and money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dr daniel amen, spect brain scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users