• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Afraid of dopamine hypersensitivity from low dose stimulants

amphetamines dexedrine stimulants adhd sct hypersensitivity adderall ritalin dopamine microdose

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RegainBrain

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

Because of my ADHD (and maybe SCT), I take stimulants.

There is no really continuity in my stimulants intake, sometimes I take less, sometimes more and sometimes off.

My doc gives me a lot of freedom, because I'm not that regular ADHD-guy, my condition is a little bit more complicated.

This means, I have only IR (direct release) stimulant prescriptions and not the retarded ones.

Because I couldn't handle the side-effects of ritalin anymore, I began to take dexedrine (pure dextroamphetamine).

First times experience: sleep. They made me tired, but that was not surprising:

I didn't took the amphetamin:ritalin-ratio seriously, so I took 5 or sometimes 10mg at once.

For me, who is satisfyed with only 5-7,5mg of ritalin, that was a little overdose.

The heavy dopamine release resulted in tiredness, lazyness and complete lost of motivation: because I'm satisfied.

I realised that 2,5mg is a really good fitting dosage, which should/can last ~4 hours for me.

TL;DR

Because I took these large amounts of dextroamphetamine (10-15mg/day) for some weeks, I'm now afraid that switching to 2,5mg can cause some weak hypersensitivation of the dopamin receptors.

Since hypersensitivation can be really long-lasting (2-3 years), I want to ask you for some experience.

Should I just take a big cold turkey break and then start with 2,5mg or can I just switch to it now?

PS: For some reason, my withdrawals are non-existent. When I'm off cold turkey, I'm energized as hell in the next 4-5 day's...also with ritalin.

#2 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

10-15mg dextroamphetamine isn’t much at all. If you taper to 2-5mg you will be fine.
  • unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 giant

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

Have I just found my ADHD twin?

I am the same as you with regards the medicine. 2-5 mg of Dex IR is what I need.

Methylphenidate though, either Slow release or instant release and no matter how low the dose, it turned me into a emotionless socially inept being. Worst thing was that I put up with it for 9 years before switching to Strattera (nightmare medicine although made me super organised but not much focus at all really. Just excessively tired most of the time).

After that I got switched to Dexamphetamine then 30mg Duloxetine was added to aid the anxiety disorder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amphetamines, dexedrine, stimulants, adhd, sct, hypersensitivity, adderall, ritalin, dopamine, microdose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users