Fish Oil Dosage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:47 AM

I couldnt get the table to look good in the post, so here is the link:

http://www.aafp.org/...040701/133.html

I was looking for something like this, so I could better understand the dosage for fish oil. They say that the amount of EPA/DHA can vary quite a bit between fish and cooking methods, but comparing fresh tuna with canned helped me get a frame of reference on this.

A common portion of fish is 6 to 8 oz. I see many studies dosing with 2-3g a day. With this data, it looks like that is about a portion of fish a day.

Something a bit unrelated but a question of mine is: How much does the enteric coating matter? Because the non-capsulated oil is very potent and convenient, I was considering this as an easy way of getting 3g. Taking a tablespoon of this product a day can get me the Gs at a low cost of $24 a month: http://www.internatu.../ingr580460.cfm .

#2 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:19 AM

On the enteric coating, according to AJNAST4R in an archived post:

"the only time fish oil will make you burp or repeat on you, and would needs to be enteric coated is:
#1 if you have poor digestion
#2 if your having an alergic reaction to it, in which case you shouldnt be taking it
#3 if its STALE... fresh fishoil DOES NOT REPEAT on a normal person

the only acceptable reason for enteric coating #1"

After looking around a bit more, I will use carlson's @ 2tsps a day with a cost of $15 a month:

http://www.vitacost....stFishOil-500ml

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:44 AM

I use Puritans Pride fish oil. It's very cheap and good. It doesn't make me burp unless i take it on empty stomach.
And yeah it does contain heavy metals and what not, but i don't care :)

www.puritan.com

#4 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

I use NOW Omega-3 oil, lemon flavoured. Which is microfiltrated, concentrated and free of heavy metals. 2 teaspoons equals 2 TABLEspoons of a normal fish oil (which i cant stand).
Not cheap, but i love it.

#5 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

Is that just your personal or maybe business philosophy as well?

[huh]

#6 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Is that just your personal or maybe business philosophy as well?

[huh]

It was a joke :)
since someone was saying here about few months ago that all fish oil except only most expensive contains heavy metals, etc...
NBTY which has Puritan, Vitamins worlds and other brands is world largest supplement manufacturer. While they probably don't offer best possible supplements, i'm sure their fish oil is safe and free of heavy metals

#7 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:48 AM

:)

I'm taking the fishoil of LEF. Some brands of fishoil give me a sensivity of the of the inside of my nose, resulting in a [airquote] blood nose [/airquote] . (How do you call that in English... [wis] )
I guess that I even for the LEF brand should ask for test results. What results should I demand in this case?

#8 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

brainbox
Go ask Adam :) J/K
Do you know that fish oil in general works similar to aspirin regarding blood cloting? It can make your blood cloting harder, which can make your nose bleed easily. It would be sign that fish oil works good for you (but you should lower the dose).

#9 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

I use NOW Omega-3 oil, lemon flavoured. Which is microfiltrated, concentrated and free of heavy metals. 2 teaspoons equals 2 TABLEspoons of a normal fish oil (which i cant stand).

NOW is very similar to the carlson's oil. It looks like a good choice as well.

I know there are some here who take more than 3g a day. Would anyone like to share their experience with above 3g? Or explain why they chose their dosage?

Great forum guys, I love this place.

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

NOW is very similar to the carlson's oil. It looks like a good choice as well.

I know there are some here who take more than 3g a day. Would anyone like to share their experience with above 3g? Or explain why they chose their dosage?

Great forum guys, I love this place.

I've used up to 10gr a day (30% EPA/DHA). I didn't notice any change (there might be some internal change/benefit but i didn't feel it subjectivly)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

I've used upwards of 7+ grams EPA/DHA daily for a while for various reasons. I've never had any blood clotting problems with anything. Also didn't notice much more than I do at my normal dosage. I did not stay at this for too long, however...about a month or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users