Photo
- - - - -

Canned tomatoes and aluminum

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

Canned tomatoes are a convenient source of lycopene, which males (and probably females as well) should be ingesting daily. However, some claim that aluminum from the cans leeches into the tomatoes. I can't seem to find definitive information on the subject. Can anyone shed some light?

#2 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

No answer, but I prefer to buy stuff in glass containers.

#3 systemicanomaly

• 86 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

Canned tomatoes are a convenient source of lycopene, which males (and probably females as well) should be ingesting daily. However, some claim that aluminum from the cans leeches into the tomatoes. I can't seem to find definitive information on the subject. Can anyone shed some light?

Sounds very plausible that the acidity of the tomatoes could cause leeching of the Al into the product. Dunno if it's true, but I've heard that many soft drink manufacturers coat the inside of their Al cans so that the corrosive nature of their product does not create this leeching problem.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:14 AM

acid + metal = no thanks

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:11 AM

Yes, systemicanomaly, many canned goods have an inner lining for this reason. Unfortunately, the lining leaks out estrogen mimics.

In the culinary industry, once the can is opened the product is transfered to a different container.

Edit: product = tomatoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users