Dante Labs offers Whole Genome Sequencing for only $199 for Black Friday Week

whole genome sequencing dna testing dante labs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 world33

• 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

For anyone interested Dante Labs offers full DNA analysis (Whole Genome Sequencing) for only $199 for Black Friday Week. I paid $349 so it is a very very very good offer....

PS: I am not affiliated with them

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

It's €169.00 EUR for European. Even free shipping for Austria (in comparison 23and me is $25,-). Only thing holding me back is the long processing time. Only thing holding me back while Dante's official estimate is 50 business days (10 weeks, 2.5 months), many people report 4, 5, or 6 months. Therefore mailed my concern, that was the answer:

thank you for your message.

Yes, unfortunately it is true that some of our customers have experienced delays in the past. As with all biological processes, during the sequencing some steps might need to be repeated several times before the results meet our quality standards. We prefer to risk a bad review on the internet rather than provide half-ready results.

Let me know if you have further questions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

In my opinion it is still worth the wait.

As I recently posted in the Selfhacked+Selfdecode Facebook page:

"I recently analyzed my 23andme raw data with the Enlis Genome Personal Tool and discovered the sad truth about how limited is the 23andme genetic test.

Basically the 23andme genetic test represents only:
1) the 0.031% of the full genome
2) the 0.078% of the full exome 
3) the 0.111% of the protein coding genome (a sub-segment of the exome).
See attached screenshot.
Considering you can now buy a full genome sequencing test for $499 from Dantelabs (worldwide shipping) or Genos.co (US only) what is the point to bother with 23andme.com or ancestry.com genetic tests if your goal is to find out significant diagnostic information?!
Considering that what counts for diagnostic purposes is the protein coding of the genome, 23andme.com is able to provide me with only 0.111% of that data let alone who knows how reliable and accurate is their variant calling for that extremely limited genome sample.
It also arises the question on how accurate and comprehensive tools devoted to decode that extremely limited sample, including selfdecode, could they be for diagnostic purposes. If anyone knows other software or tools that are able to analyze whole genome sequencing (WGS) or whole exome sequencing (WES) raw data in addition to the Enlis Genome Personal tool I would appreciate if you could please share it here."

I also added:

"Analysis Questions Accuracy of Direct-To-Consumer Genetic Test Results

Quote: " About 40 percent of variants reported in raw data from direct-to-consumer genetic tests may be wrong, according to a new analysis"

That means that about 40% of the 0.111% of the protein coding genome taken into consideration by direct-to-consumers (DTC) genetic tests like 23andme.com could be inaccurate and/or give false positives. If that is true why even bother with DTC genetic tests and/or with decoding tools like selfdecode?! You guys behind selfdecode should really consider to support importing WGS (or at least WES) raw data from better genetic testing providers. The all concept and business model of selfdecode is now based on DTC tests that provide only 0.111% of the protein coding genome and possibly 40% of the times provide it wrong. I wonder how many members of selfdecode have taken decisions about their health, including taking supplements, based on this very limited and unreliable data provided by DTC genetic testing companies.."

In a nutshell 23andme is very limited and could be prone to errors. Happy to wait for a 30X WGS test result anytime.

Attached Files

Edited by world33, 20 November 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:08 PM

You guys behind selfdecode should really consider to support importing WGS (or at least WES) raw data from better genetic testing providers.

I wonder how many members of selfdecode have taken decisions about their health, including taking supplements, based on this very limited and unreliable data provided by DTC genetic testing companies.."

Just to clarify in the case you addressed me (obviously, since til now there are no other replies here) - I'm neither a customer nor behind selfdecode. Nor did I do any genetic testing yet, because some estimates claim only 10-20 % of one's condition is determined by genetics, the overwhelming rest still by epigenetics.

Therefore any genetic test in the overwhelmingly most cases isn't diagnostic at all, for which still all other lab-markers needs to be tested. Since these can sum up pretty much too, I did without genetics.

I did however, sign up for labtestanalyzer.com for it's cheap introductory price. And found every supplements recommended I already figured out on my own. And thereby indeed reversed a by conventional medicine mercilessly progressing chronic disease (PAD), and its 60% walking-disability (after 6 years of lifestyle, dietary and Orthomolecular interventions. Diagnosis is now 10 years ago)

I doubt any genetic testing would have assisted me in my recovery, as regular extensive lab-testing did.

#5 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

Just to clarify in the case you addressed me (obviously, since til now there are no other replies here) - I'm neither a customer nor behind selfdecode. Nor did I do any genetic testing yet, because some estimates claim only 10-20 % of one's condition is determined by genetics, the overwhelming rest still by epigenetics.

Therefore any genetic test in the overwhelmingly most cases isn't diagnostic at all, for which still all other lab-markers needs to be tested. Since these can sum up pretty much too, I did without genetics.

I did however, sign up for labtestanalyzer.com for it's cheap introductory price. And found every supplements recommended I already figured out on my own. And thereby indeed reversed a by conventional medicine mercilessly progressing chronic disease (PAD), and its 60% walking-disability (after 6 years of lifestyle, dietary and Orthomolecular interventions. Diagnosis is now 10 years ago)

I doubt any genetic testing would have assisted me in my recovery, as regular extensive lab-testing did.

The Facebook post was not addressing you but the owners of the page and the selfdecode service. I just re-posted that content because many people rely on 23andme.com tests for diagnostic purposes. You mentioned 23andme in your reply so I thought it was a good idea to clarify.

Malacards.org provides a list of genes associated with PAD at https://www.malacard...e#related_genes
and gives a high score for the gene CDKN2B-AS1 based on this publication https://www.ncbi.nlm.../?term=22122968
Not sure whether that could be of any help or provide additional insights for the root cause of your disease and potential treatments addressing your specific genetic mutations.

#6 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

Not sure whether that could be of any help or provide additional insights for the root cause of your disease and potential treatments addressing your specific genetic mutations.

It is good example how with already diagnosed disease there isn't additional value in genetic testing, even if one found one actually had these mutations. Since with a particular gene-mutation one only discovers that the risk for a disease slightly goes up. Which doesn't means at all one in particular would ever suffer from it.

Sort of moot once already diagnosed. And all the life-style interventions and targeted supplementation (monitored by lab-testing) already known to help without genetic testing.

The combined genetic effect on ABI was stronger in smokers than in non-smokers.

Lol, to know that, one doesn't has to do genetic testing first. And once one has PAD smoking cessation wont improve the outcome without many other more drastic interventions not used in conventional medicine.

#7 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:58 PM

Pamojia, no offense, but I think you are underestimating the level of information you can get by doing a genetic test. It may not be of help for your particular diagnosed case of PAD but it provides so much more information than you cannot even imagine.

To give you an example I have discovered that I have homozygous mutations (rs1801133) that require methylfolate (the active form of folate used at the cellular level for DNA reproduction) supplementation because I am not able to convert it efficiently (20%/30% of normal). BCMO1 homozygous mutations that reduces the efficiency in converting beta-carotene into vitamin A. I have found out that I have a higher (by 39%) risk for colorectal cancer correlated with consumption of processed meats (rs4143094(T;T)) and the list goes on an on.

• WellResearched x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

Veritas Genetics is also having a $199 deal for Black Friday, 23rd of November. Read https://www.wired.co...st-200-dollars/
It usually retails for $999 (source: https://www.veritasg...cs.com/myGenome )

Veritas Genetics was co-founded by George Church Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School, the same guy that maintains this simple but useful List of Personal Genome Sequencing and Interpretation Services at http://arep.med.harv...e_services.html

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:29 PM

To give you an example I have discovered that I have homozygous mutations (rs1801133) that require methylfolate (the active form of folate used at the cellular level for DNA reproduction) supplementation because I am not able to convert it efficiently (20%/30% of normal). BCMO1 homozygous mutations that reduces the efficiency in converting beta-carotene into vitamin A. I have found out that I have a higher (by 39%) risk for colorectal cancer correlated with consumption of processed meats (rs4143094(T;T)) and the list goes on an on.

Actually good examples also for the counter-argument I made. These deficiency can also be found and then still need regular lab testing to find optimal levels of nutrient-intake.

Repeated serum homocysteine while gradually increasing all nutrients involved (B6, B9, B12, choline, TMG..) showed my higher metylfolate needs and the dosage required to get its job done (which not genetic test does).

Found my need for preformed vitamin A also being higher by serum retinol and RBP testing along with gradually increasing the dose. In this case the complete ceasing of psoriasis outbreaks showed the right dose (no genetic test can).

And that processed meat consumption is associated with colorectal cancer I thought is already known.

So please keep this list going, if it goes any further than that, for which till now no genetic testing would have been needed. But still definitely needs follow up of regular lab-testing. And with regular lab-testing and some self-education can just as well be known.

Only thing holding me back is the long processing time.

But by realizing again the shortcoming and their extent in genetic testing by your arguments, you indeed now helped to make my mind up. For the same money I get tests last done 2 years ago (insurance doesn't pay for), and which will again give me more important feedback for adjusting targeted supplementation. Thanks!

Still please keep the examples coming ;)

Edited by pamojja, 20 November 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#10 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:32 AM

Pamojja I am not here to try to convince you or have a ping pong discussion. Unless you take a DNA test and plug the raw data into promethease and/or Enlis Personal Genome you will never understand the scale and level of information to appraise the value of a DNA testing in addition to traditional medical tests. They are not exclusive, one or another, but complementary. If you are happy with the traditional medical tests good luck to you :-)

• Good Point x 1

#11 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

Pamojja I am not here to try to convince you..

How come you did?

• Cheerful x 1

#12 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Apparently Veritas Genetics will also have a 199$ WGS offer on Black Friday according to this source

https://www.wired.co...st-200-dollars/

If Dante Labs long waiting time my put you off this could be an alternative to consider.

Veritas Genetics

https://www.veritasg...cs.com/myGenome

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#13 world33

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

For anyone interested/concerned about Dante Labs WGS turnaround time I ordered two DNA Kits on Sept 19, 2018. Sent them back to a Netherlands based collection centre by courier at the end of October. Received a notification they received the sample on Nov 2, 2018. Received a notification of a successful DNA extraction on Nov 29, 2018. Received the health report and raw data on Feb 19, 2019. Form the date they acknowledged receipt of the sample (Nov 2) to the release of the raw data (Feb 19) I waited 109 days (3 months and 17 days). This turnaround time might not apply to customers in the US where they might have a different collection centre and different labs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole genome sequencing, dna testing, dante labs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users