Photo
- - - - -

Adaptation and Cardio Exercises

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

At the moment I'm upping my cardio from 2-3 days to 35 mins 5 days a week to drop that %fat% and I can feel the soreness (especially in the shins) from so much exercise.
I do the basics; complex carbs, warming up and stretching afterwards and I want to take advantage of the right supplements to keep this up for few more weeks.
Today I took AOR's Ortho-Core, EFA's, Rhodiola Rosea 3% and Lecithin/B5 in the mornings in preparation.
What can you guys otherwise recommend for speeding up the healing process?

o I've found with the release of endorphins during the exercise I can complete the 35 mins although it shall hurt but this is obviously not the optimal approach nor is letting ones adrenaline/cortisol shoot through the roof to go that Xtra mile.

o I'm not looking for any pre-workout (ECA/Y) stimulants but supps that will support the increased strain on my body/CNS/adrenal glands.
Regarding the joints, stuff like MSM/Glucosamine require prolonged use? Anything to work tommorrow?!?

o It may be utopia to do the exercise 5 days a week (I have been running on/off 10+ years) and I could cycle different kinds of exercise but throw any ideas you have!

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:36 PM

I like boswellia, MSM, creatine, and BCAAs.

Interval training would be a much better option than steady-state in this situation.

Also, how old are you? Your picture doesn't look that old, which brings me to wonder why you even have issues like this at only 35 minutes/day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kenj

• Topic Starter
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:50 AM

I've not tried what you list, I'm thinking of MSM (and possibly the BCAA's - need to read up on this).
The thing is, while it's not HIIT I'm doing I am running pretty fast in 70% of the 35 mins -- or maybe I am just getting too old for this [lol] - nah, I'm 28.

#4 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

citruilline malate has gotten reports for just such endurance events. This will help endurance...

Bulk powder at 1fast400 or giant nutrition.

If you're looking literally just to help heal the beating up of your body that this does, then high dose proteolytic enzymes e.g.. cytolyse are useful.

#5 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

If citrulline malate by itself doesn't work, Body Octane by MAN is a wonderful product. I loved Body Octane, and still do, but it is too costly to use chronically. Citrulline malate by itself didn't do much for me.

#6 kenj

• Topic Starter
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Shepard and ScottL for the comments.

then high dose proteolytic enzymes e.g.. cytolyse are useful.

noted.

#7 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

If  citrulline malate by itself doesn't work, Body Octane by MAN is a wonderful product. I loved Body Octane, and still do, but it is too costly to use chronically.  Citrulline malate by itself didn't do much for me.

Strangely for me plain CM and BO worked about the same.

#8 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

Interval training would be a much better option than steady-state in this situation.

If running's your thing (it was for me when I was 40 pounds lighter), then you might consider interval sprints. Sprint 50m-200m, then walk it off until you catch your breath, then sprint again. You should be able to get a very good workout in 10-15 minutes (not including warm up and cool down). You could maybe do the sprint intervals twice a week, and the longer endurance runs 2-3 times a week, to get variety.

#9 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Are you sure you can do cardio 5 days a week without chronic injury? I'm doing it 3 days a week, and right now I have a shin splint that hurts like hell, wouldn't wish it on anyone. And I take A LOT of supplements to prevent such occurances.

#10 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

Well, are you asking about doing cardio 5 days a week, or doing something high impact like running 5 days a week. When I had easy access to a gym (in college), I could ride an exercise bike for 30-40 minutes a day, 5 days a week without problems.

But running 5 days a week might not be so good for you, especially if it's not done on a quality track with the right footwear (any other physical measures one can take? Knee braces? Back safety belts? special socks? just fishing for ideas, I want to get back into jogging myself once I lose about 10 more pounds).

#11 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

I don't think running is near as bad as most people think. Most people use horrible footwear and don't run properly, which does lead to injury.

I also don't see any problem with doing "cardio" every day, but maybe not aerobics.

syr, I'm pretty sure it was the beta-alanine that did it for me.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

heel traumeel tablets are EXCELLENT for soreness... far supperior to any herb, vitamin, or pharmecuetical ive tried.

Posted Image

wobenzyme CREAM is an excellent topical to reduce inflamation and soreness... take 3-4 applications till it kicks in, but it works GREAT.

Posted Image

also get yourself a good pair of shoes & a good pair of aftermarket insoles, especially if your running. that makes ALL the difference.

and if your not recovered by the end of the next day, my guess is your working way too hard. take it easy

#13 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

Hey what up? You should look into Histidine and alinine. Those help with lactic acid buildup. Also since your goal is fat loss, i'd recommend doing low-medium intensity cardio because fat is the main energy source for that type of cardio. If u do anything higher or something close to HIIT then the body's prefered energy source would be your glycogen stores. Once those empty up....the next will be protein sources, aka ur muscles. If u'd rather continue doing what ur doing now then i'd recommend u do a pre cardio nutrition and post cardio nutrition like a protein shake or what ever u usually use pre workouts.

Also i'd recommend no more than 4 days/week of cardio and make sure that um ur not losing more than 2lbs/week or its gonna be bad on ur muscles.....but if ur main goal and priority is fatloss then ignore that statement. Ohh and if u still plan on goin gat it 5x/week and with the same intensity then i'd go hard on the 1st training day then medium the next day and just cycle between those two. Thats what my coaches made me do while running track and x-country. Also i'd recommend that you use supplement with an adaptogen, like rhodiola, bacopa, panax ginseng, etc..... those help with cortisol control and stress put on the body. That would be for pre workout.

hope that helps....lata

#14 kenj

• Topic Starter
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

When I mention "cardio" I do mean "running", - it IS harder on your body than most cardio exercises but fast runs (not HIIT) work great for me for fatloss in actual practise.

With your favourite music it's like flooding yourself with endorphins when you've improved yourself to put a certain load on your CNS.
Release enough, - and you're hooked for life, really. [thumb]
I experiment with vocal mind programming stuff in between my favourite MP3 eurotracks for truly euphoric effects.
It's a unique experience everytime and really a fantastic mind-body exercise for the brain.
When you feel the body is giving up you let your mind truly take over and you FEEEEEEEEL the power of your brain! Ok so no more subliminal mindwash for me. [tung]

also get yourself a good pair of shoes & a good pair of aftermarket insoles, especially if your running. that makes ALL the difference

Changing my 8+ year old worn-out shoes to some sparkling brand new ones did #1 motivate me to up the intensity and no injuries so far. [:o]

You should look into Histidine and alinine

Hm, Histidine does raise an eyebrow for me, I had allergic problems with Carnosine.

Also i'd recommend no more than 4 days/week of cardio and make sure that um ur not losing more than 2lbs/week

Yes, I'll have to drop down to every other day to keep up the intensity and rest my body. I'm not cutting down on calories, you're absolutely right with the slow approach. Also (the right) calories are important to me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 frank james

• 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

Try swimming every other day....allow the leg muscles some relief from the repetetive motion of running. I played rugby for years and the body does need some down time to rest and repair itself as simple as this seems it workd for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users