- - - - -

Daily Knowledge

knowledge apos brain health

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:53 AM

Would anyone here subscribe to or be interested in an app that provides daily knowledge modules, of around 1000 words so about 10 minutes of reading, that span various topics and long-term form a good general knowledge base? Shakespeare one day, interest rates another, the goal is to learn a broad swath of topics over a long period of time.

I sure would and I suspect the intellectually curious might. Thoughts welcome.

#2 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

Shameless bump.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

Nobody...
  • Agree x 2

#4 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

Lol. I think there'd be a lot of interest, but I think I've seen similar apps like these.  Thinking of development?

#5 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

Lol. I think there'd be a lot of interest, but I think I've seen similar apps like these. Thinking of development?

I am a developer. Looking to have some fun.

Of course, there are podcasts, etc etc. But I think there is a massive opportunity for quick, easy delivery- your daily dose.

There are quiz and trivia apps but that would not be what this is. This would be the basics people don't know ie science, math, basic books etc. 1000-word modules per day. I asked on this forum because of its members' intellectual curiosity and wealth of knowledge.

Thoughts?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#6 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

I think it sounds kind of awesome, actually.  But I vaguely recall looking at something like this on the app store once, while on one of my app exploring binges (I look at a lot of educational apps and quantify as intellectually curious.  Have an 8 year old doing well and also want to maintain that). 

Still, your spin could be a little different, better delivery, etc.  IMO: Worth further looking into.  More responses would probably be received if you had a prototype or something a little bit more than conceptual.  

Edited by cat-nips, 14 December 2018 - 04:25 PM.

• Agree x 1

#7 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:03 AM

I think it sounds kind of awesome, actually. But I vaguely recall looking at something like this on the app store once, while on one of my app exploring binges (I look at a lot of educational apps and quantify as intellectually curious. Have an 8 year old doing well and also want to maintain that).

Still, your spin could be a little different, better delivery, etc. IMO: Worth further looking into. More responses would probably be received if you had a prototype or something a little bit more than conceptual.

Couldn't find anything like it on the app store.

I think you'd have an introduction program, which would be random daily modules, then, if a user is interested in a certain topic, a micro course on that subject. That's my vision; obviously creating the content is the tough part.

#8 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

Just ran this idea by my partner who is a photographer, also an avid reader + digital reader and his comments were: "I think it's a pretty good idea.  There are people that don't know that there are 50 states in the US.  But I would need a reason to keep going back.  Needs a competitive aspect to it, or some kind of reward system.  How it looked would matter lot, as would the interface".

#9 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Just ran this idea by my partner who is a photographer, also an avid reader + digital reader and his comments were: "I think it's a pretty good idea. There are people that don't know that there are 50 states in the US. But I would need a reason to keep going back. Needs a competitive aspect to it, or some kind of reward system. How it looked would matter lot, as would the interface".

Thanks for your consideration!

Regarding feedback/reward- maybe a short quiz for each module? 5-10 multiple choice questions or something. Keep track of your scores over time and try to maintain 100% comprehension or something. I don't want to make it competitive though -it isn't a trivia contest, it's for your own education, and I don't want people dropping out because they aren't doing as well as others.

Thoughts?
  • like x 1

#10 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

Quizzes work well for my daughter and myself.  She'd rather do the quiz, every time.  It's an action + a bit of knowledge (passive reading) = learning (memory).  

My partner likes quizzes but he enjoys the competitive aspect to fuel his motivation.  Me, I relate to what you just wrote above.  Just different theories.  But quizzes help both ideas.  I actually prefer the quiz first, to help me read more efficiently, and then again, to further cement, but that's probably not the case for the majority, because it's extra.  

The tracking comprehension is cool too.  If you've got the backend covered, then curation of subject matter, categorization, and how it's written would be your biggest challenge, as you stated.  Then navigation, UX design, pricing considerations, and good ol' marketing, which you've probably also considered.  

Edited by cat-nips, 15 December 2018 - 09:38 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

Quizzes work well for my daughter and myself. She'd rather do the quiz, every time. It's an action + a bit of knowledge (passive reading) = learning (memory).

My partner likes quizzes but he enjoys the competitive aspect to fuel his motivation. Me, I relate to what you just wrote above. Just different theories. But quizzes help both ideas. I actually prefer the quiz first, to help me read more efficiently, and then again, to further cement, but that's probably not the case for the majority, because it's extra.

The tracking comprehension is cool too. If you've got the backend covered, then curation of subject matter, categorization, and how it's written would be your biggest challenge, as you stated. Then navigation, UX design, pricing considerations, and good ol' marketing, which you've probably also considered.

Yeah, so the engineering of it isn't THAT difficult. Working part time, I could probably have something ready to ship in 3 months or so. Find subject experts (though again, I'd stress that all content is below the level of citation, as it's meant to reach a broad audience) and maybe launch with 100 modules. Try to add 1-2 per day from then on. This would constitute the "core" program, and would be free. You'd charge (in the future) for extension courses. Say you liked a topic- take a 10-lesson microcourse on it, maybe. Or perhaps just charge $5/year for the core app or something.

Marketing would probably be...word of mouth. IF it takes off I suppose one would have to shill it but I'd rather not force it on people, rather see if there is legitimate interest and go from there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knowledge, apos, brain health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users