Norepinephrine/adrenaline doesn't cause the feelings of anxiety

unpopular opinion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

I have no proof but on my gut feelings I don't think these two cause anxiety, they are released when you feel anxiety yes but just to help your body get ready (fight or flight).

I would say dopamine doesen't cause anxiety either, actually it would decrease it ''In regions of the midbrain (substantia nigra, ventral tegmental area), CRHR1 arises in dopamine-releasing neurons. The functional examination of the mice gave rise to the fairly sensational discovery that the stress hormone CRH actually reduces fear through its receptors in this part of the brain. These neurons demonstrably trigger the direct release of dopamine in regions of the forebrain and hence cause behaviour that overcomes fear.''

But serotonin on the other hand I believe is involved, the 5ht2a receptor and possibly more (5ht1a controls amygdala activity).

Edited by farshad, 21 December 2018 - 10:26 AM.

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Many things contribute to anxiety - look into Cholecystokinin, it's an endogenous anxiogen / panicogenic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

There's an intricate dance between many neurotransmitters and hormones affecting anxiety.  

For some people, medicines selective for NRI can greatly relieve anxiety.  For others, the very same meds will greatly exacerbate anxiety.  We're largely still in the dark ages when it comes to psychiatry.

Terms like 'anxiety' and 'depression' are little more than nebulous umbrella terms.  Hopefully in the years to come we'll be able to come up with more targeted better understood prognoses and hence diagnoses.  

• Agree x 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users