• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Mouthwash containing alcohol - Good or bad to use?

mouthwash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RichardAlan

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

I did hear something about it being bad as it destroys the good bacteria.  But on the other hand it also would destroy the bad bacteria.  Anyone have links to any findings or have any advice?  Thanks

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

Most antibacterial mouthwash are probably bad from an overall health standpoint. Oral bacterial populations are necessary for the conversion of dietary nitrates to nitric oxide, and antibacterial mouthwash have been shown to prevent the blood pressure lowering effects of healthy vegetables (beet root in particular, but the same would likely apply to arugula and other vegetables).

#3 Oakman

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Here's something from McGill University, 

Alcohol in mouthwashes doesn’t actually kill bacteria

I would recommend no mouthwash, period. If you (water) floss, brush, and scape, plus have a healthy oralbiome from probiotic yogurt or other oral probiotic, you really do not need anything but water to clean your mouth. Most toothpaste, mouthwash, etc., is damaging to your oral biome, and only serves to coats your mouth in flavor and toxic chemicals, killing the vulnerable bacteria, and leaving the resistant ones, much like an antibiotic does to your gut.

• unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 advo1236

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

I read in an articel that it's better for gum to use mouthwash without alcohol. Alcohol irritates gum and it starts easier to bleed.

#5 Amira L.

• Registrant
  • 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure about in general, but I remember reading a study about prescription mouthwashes that had a strong antibacterial agent called chlorhexidine which linked it to raising your blood pressure by wiping out a kind of helpful mouth bacteria. I think choosing one that doesn’t contain alcohol or super powerful antibacterial agents would be a safe enough bet though.  

#6 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:13 AM

I have no opinion on alcohol mouth wash. However I can recommend Xylitol and similar in mouth wash or added to drinking water and rinsed. It seems to subjectively improve oral health, especially back in the day when I had some discomfort in my gums due abrasion and mild bacterial infection, etc. Or you could just chew gum with xylitol. I have a bag of erythritol somewhere, which is similar, and also a bottle of actavis NaF+xylitol mouth wash I haven't used in a long while either.

Unless I had specific problems I wouldn't personally use strong anti bacterial agents at any relevant dosage in my entire mouth.

Edited by Keizo, 03 December 2020 - 12:18 AM.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouthwash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users