Need help-bloodwork and gene work attached, a real mystery

vit d vit k chronic fatigue ocd piracetam

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Hello,

Those who lurk here know I've dealt with a constellation of issues for some time. I've tried various fixes but nothing is sustainable. I'm at the end of my rope-really hoping someone here can be of help.

The fundamental issue is brain fog/ocd/difficulty concentrating/chronic fatigue. This has been a problem basically my entire life. In school, I used to have trouble sitting up straight-I was inflexible and had lower back pain. I was also half asleep all the time, and just couldn't sustain attention for any meaningful period of time.

This worsened in college. Previously, I had the ability to focus when needed, though not much of the time. As college carried on my ability diminished further and further; grades suffered. 

I suffer from the following:

-Chronic fatigue (poor sleep, but also not awake)

-Pain issues and weakness

-Body composition issues (fat, even with a good diet and exercise)

-Low libido

-Low enjoyment of life/desire to do things

-Withdrawal. I'm in my own head. Hardly pay attention to what's going on in the world. Just...tuned out, if that makes any sense at all. 

Things that help:

-ALCAR. Cleared up some of the fatigue issues, but eventually the cholinergic effect was too much

-Piracetam. Gets my motivation going again. Had trouble with the side effects though, eg irritability

And a separate section for Vit D, which is a life changer (my levels were 20 before supplementation):

-Body comp issues solved (no longer have trouble digesting fats). MUCH stronger. 

-Fatigue issues solved/chronic pain solved

-Some motivational benefits

-Felt "awake and aware" for literally the first time in my life

BUT, to get to a dose that really gets me where I need to go (5k iu), hypercalcemia sets in:

-Muscle twitches

-Irritability

-Constipation

Plus, it can make me manic (feels like glutamate overload). Vit K in superdoses blunts these effects, but then it seems to dampen my cognition all over again (I believe there is an ACH-lowering effect at play here). And even then, Vit K isn't perfect, still can't fight off the calcium.

Makes me think Vit D is having some kind of secondary effect, which some other compound might target more directly/effectively.

Please, anyone help, getting desperate. The main issue is-I know what I CAN be, and I have been there at times, but just can't sustain it, which is so incredibly depressing/frustrating. 

Lab work attached. Nutrahacker attached. Can provide full 23andme SNPs if needed. Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Not sure about your age but TSH is ideal 0.5-1 and it seems your total and free t is a bit on the low side.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

Not sure about your age but TSH is ideal 0.5-1 and it seems your total and free t is a bit on the low side.

Note that these were taken after D supplementation began, my levels before were 19.0 or so. 

#4 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

experimenting asked me to take a look at this lab-work (without the genes) via PM already 4 months ago. My suggestions to these labs:

Great working glucose metabolism, liver, and kidneys. Optimal creatinine would be <1 mg/dl, therefore would keeping monitoring. High phosphorous would have me highly concerned (since its involved in arterial calcification, of which I mainly suffered from). Check for sources of high phosphorous in diet and drinks! Sodium and potassium could be a slight tad higher for optimum. Don't see any signs for hypercalcemia!

Alkaline phophatase under 70 some see as a sign of zink deficiency. Don't know if that's ablicable to others, but in my case it did relate to low zinc levels. With Iron saturation at 23.8% there are definite problems with iron metabolism. Too bad no ferritin test was not included, which would been more definite about iron stores. If confirmed by low ferritin, I would first titrate betain-hcl (stomach acid) for improving absorbtion of dietary iron.

Total cholesterol so important for brain function would be too low for my taste (in my case so much is needed for infection and hormone-production too), but might be that is perfectly fine in your case. Perfect Triglycerides, I start to get seriously jealous.

Hormones all good too. However, the most critical marker of active thyroid hormone, free T3 is missing in your panel. And a TSH of 2.31 could well indicate it being subclinical low, as in so many with chronic conditions.

So all in all with main body systems in top shape really no obvious reason for massive supplementation at that age beyond the basics. However, those off like phosphate - or possibly like free T3, selenium, zinc, iodine - could bring much relieve if optimized.

Also don't get fooled because you don't see anything that clearly by these results yet. Any other tests I listed and which you couldn't get this time, like any of the inflammation markers (CRP, homocystein, fibrinogen..), thyroid antibodies, Magnesium etc. could again bring something more indicative.

For the problem digesting fats,  have you already tried something like ox bile extract?

Have you ever tried high dose vitamin C - the only vitamin I wouldn't have any fear of imbalances with other vitamins and so essential in the whole of neurotransmitter metabolism.

By these erstwhile results you could proudly present in you thread, and maybe get interesting further suggestions.

Didn't knew you suffer chronic fatigue too. In that case your sensitivities to nutrients in tiny doses isn't that surprising anymore. Many on PhoenixRising forum are complaining about that too. So you probably had many more responders with that specific problem from people with such issues there?

The best.

Was thanked. And one month ago again asked for help. My relevant reply:

Did you decrease phosphor? Did you up sodium and potassium, zinc and vitamin C a tiny bid? Did you experiment with ox bile? Did you meanwhile get a crucial ferritin, free T3 test, and at least one inflammation marker?

But only get as answer: 'Willing to try anything but don’t kno where to start.'.

Just as background for anyone attempting to help. I'm unable to break it down in even simpler steps. And despite his expressed gratitude for my attempt at helping, he obviously doesn't took my review serious: still believes to have hypercalcemia, and considers ordinarily supplemented vitamin K2 amounts superdoses.

#5 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

experimenting asked me to take a look at this lab-work (without the genes) via PM already 4 months ago. My suggestions to these labs:

Was thanked. And one month ago again asked for help. My relevant reply:

But only get as answer: 'Willing to try anything but don’t kno where to start.'.

Just as background for anyone attempting to help. I'm unable to break it down in even simpler steps. And despite his expressed gratitude for my attempt at helping, he obviously doesn't took my review serious: still believes to have hypercalcemia, and considers ordinarily supplemented vitamin K2 amounts superdoses.

Of course I take your help seriously. And I’m grateful. And I’m sorry if I’m not being so responsive but I’m in pretty poor cognitive health.

But...5mg for example of K2 is a super dose, compared to what a diet could ever have, no? And I am having a reaction to such doses-blunting the cognitive gains from Vit D. The rest I have tried yet but I will.

Humbly seeking any and all hypotheses.

#6 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

I guess my issue is-given my (at least on the surface) good lab work, what on earth could be going on to cause such a horrid combination of cognitive symptoms? Horrible OCD that mitigates under certain conditions, etc etc.

#7 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

But...5mg for example of K2 is a super dose, compared to what a diet could ever have, no?

45mg is used as a well tolerated prescription med against osteoperosis in Japan since many years. Multiple that is effectively used against warfarin poisoning. KoncentratedK with 25,5mg K2 available as supplement, and routinely taken by people with CVD. A few of them already use up to 100 mg/d continuously.

So 'Superdose' is always very relative. If compared to dietary intake a lot of nutrients could be classified as such without significance to benefit or harm. I would use such a attribute only for doses of nutrients with very obvious risks (like the coimbra protocol, which under practitioner supervision use 100.000 IU vitamin D3 per day against MS), but not already for 10.000 IU initially needed by most just to get 25(OH)D serum level to the mean (while taking the precaution of monitoring levels, otherwise that too could become risky). Still multiples above what could be get from diet.

Since so many already took something like 25 mg/d K2 for many years, some few exploring real superdoses of 100, I wouldn't consider 5 mg/d K2 particularly high. But that can of course always be argued, since such attributes are of course dependent on a individuals relative perspective. Someone never heard of much higher commonly used K2 doses would of course disagree.

#8 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

45mg is used as a well tolerated prescription med against osteoperosis in Japan since many years. Multiple that is effectively used against warfarin poisoning. KoncentratedK with 25,5mg K2 available as supplement, and routinely taken by people with CVD. A few of them already use up to 100 mg/d continuously.

So 'Superdose' is always very relative. If compared to dietary intake a lot of nutrients could be classified as such without significance to benefit or harm. I would use such a attribute only for doses of nutrients with very obvious risks (like the coimbra protocol, which under practitioner supervision use 100.000 IU vitamin D3 per day against MS), but not already for 10.000 IU initially needed by most just to get 25(OH)D serum level to the mean (while taking the precaution of monitoring levels, otherwise that too could become risky). Still multiples above what could be get from diet.

Since so many already took something like 25 mg/d K2 for many years, some few exploring real superdoses of 100, I wouldn't consider 5 mg/d K2 particularly high. But that can of course always be argued, since such attributes are of course dependent on a individuals relative perspective. Someone never heard of much higher commonly used K2 doses would of course disagree.

That’s fair.

Trying various single nutrient approaches, but shouldn’t such a complex problem have a clear underlying disease/cause?

#9 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

Trying various single nutrient approaches, but shouldn’t such a complex problem have a clear underlying disease/cause?

For what reason on earth should complex health problems (like most chronic illnesses are, where allopathic medicine doesn't has cures, but only treatments without betterment in sight; contrary to acute medicine with clear causes, where it really excels) have simple causes? I rather think complex problems are exactly called complex, because they don't have simple causes, but a whole matrix of co-factors in various constellations over time affecting. Where is has become impossible to entangle, or find the original cause.

That's exactly why I took the approach to tackle each and every single bodily system even slightly off: hidden infections, or probable sources of them (ie. rootcanal,..), high inflammation and oxidation, fatty liver, CKD I, asymptomatic COPD, prediabetes, even a little bit off electrolytes (in my case especially the so important Mg), never forgot all other nutrients, also the fat-soluble, various hormones.. In short any lab-tests I could get my hands on. Any symptom which could indicate something wrong. Every nutrient, where possible by testing (as imperfect at that often is, still providing many hinds over time), but at least by trying over long periods from low to very high doses. And again and again monitoring symptoms and labs and adjusting strategies in supplementation, dieting, lifestyles modifications. It takes time and patience. Which isn't surprising, since my health problems have co-factors going back already to the time of my birth (and beyond), and took a long time to become that severe. There are no magic pills for chronic ailments. Otherwise they wouldn't be chronic.

At least that's the way it was possible to experience remission in my case of a complex health problem of a chronic disease, which by conventional means isn't considered reversible. In my experience because the cardiologist, the pulmologist, the endocrinologist, the hematologist, the orthopedist, the neurologist, etc. never really seriously talk to each other or my GP, or even me. Nor would they know how to or what for. Such specialized has their fields become, with no time to talk and think about much more complexity, then their well-defined fields.

But how could a complex and living system like a human body ever run optimally, with all it's subsystems in decay?

Really no mystery.

#10 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:40 AM

Maybe not a simple cause, but a single cause.

Anyone else have any insights?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:53 PM

Bump...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vit d, vit k, chronic fatigue, ocd, piracetam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users