• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Abdominal pain from topical retinol possible?

anti ageing skin care

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RB15

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hello everyone

I’ll try keep this short, i’m a 36 year old male interested in anti ageing skincare.

About 3 years ago i started using a 1.5% retinol oil at night, it is called Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion. A month or so into the regimen i started having abdominal pains which persisted for a while. After several tests by my doctor he concluded i had some sort of IBS nerve pain and prescribed me Amitriptyline for the pain, i also discontinued the Retinol in case there was a chance that was the cause.

Fast forward a few years and the Amitriptyline wasn’t doing much for the pain, it was in fact a course of Prednisolone that finally got rid of the pains to my delight, and have been pain free since the spring of 2018.

I use a Vitamin C serum morning and night, but have been reading about the benefits of Vit C in fhe morning and Retinol in the PM, i purchased another bottle of the Peter Thomas Roth retinol 2 weeks ago and after about a week i could feel a few twinges in my abdomen, i was using it every night the same as i was years ago.

I have stopped the retinol again, but i wanted to ask if any of you believe or in fact know that retinol could cause some kind of abdominal nerve / hypersensitivity type pain? I have found one study here -

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3754244/

But given my lack of scientific understanding i can’t decipher whether the study points towards it being a possibility?

I would like to have a night time Retinol treatment in my regimen, but not to the detriment of my health, i don’t know whether to try another brand at a lower dose, or to forget it all together and continue with the Vitamin C twice a day.

My aim is anti ageing of the skin.

Regards

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anti ageing, skin care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users