canine melanoma alternative treatment

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

Hi everyone

(edited, sorry for posting in Brain Health!  Perhaps this can be moved to an appropriate section?)

I have seen another post about melanoma here by Rolf and wish his father well.

In my case my pet dog has just been diagnosed.  I want to try and do all I can because this dog has seen us through a number of very traumatic incidents in the family.  He's 15 but otherwise fit and active, the melanoma is oral and has just been surgically removed.  The surgery was conservative (the vet didn't know if it were benign or malignant at the time).  I have decided not to put him through another, more radical surgery, apart from age, he has witnessed 2 traumatic incidents already and has made it very clear he does not wish to be left at the vets anymore.  I also think he is terrified of the cages they are put in while waiting for operations.

Before the appearance of the tumour  I was hoping to get my vet to agree to a rapamycin trial for possible lifespan extension.....accepting it's a very new and experimental treatment.  Unfortunately I didn't get to speak to the vet about it and I think there's a general avoidance of anything 'alternative.'  I will be discussing it again, though this time in relation to the diagnosis.

I am waiting to get the biopsy report and further analysis of the tissue.  I have read that radiation therapy can be quite effective in some cases and may give up to 18 months of life, but of course that's the maximum, the range often quoted is 6 - 18 months.  Not great for a young dog but in our dog's case it would give some extra life.

I am using a quarter teaspoon of turmeric once a day and I'm wondering if anyone can help with other supplements in terms of knowledge of whether they can be used in dogs.  I have tried to make appointments with naturopathic vets and I'm getting appointments scheduled for a month from now, so I'm looking to try a few things myself but with safety in mind.  

Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the use of Co Enzyme Q10 in dogs?  Cordyceps mushrooms, resveratrol, green tea.....I have a lot of reading to do, so just thought I'd share here as it may help others.  One challenge is that my dog lives with my mother and she's not willing or able to try everything (gets overwhelmed with information), but I will do my best.  She's embraced the idea of using turmeric.

Thanks for reading and all thoughts are welcome.  :-)

Edited by Rosanna, 04 April 2019 - 11:02 PM.

#2 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

I'll share this with the vet, again discussing rapamycin but this time with the melanoma in mind and not lifespan extension.....  https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19231960

Edited by Rosanna, 04 April 2019 - 11:14 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users