Photo
- - - - -

Backward Digital Span

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

There was a topic about it, but honestly I didn't even understand what was the exercise I should do [huh]. I understood it was very beneficial. I had found this site, they described a lot of exercise to do, but my english isn't at all very great and I didn't understood very well what it said. This Page. Especially the " Auditory span forward and backwards" and "Visual span forward and backwards" exercises. Thanks if you can help me out!

#2 rhakshasa

• Topic Starter
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Please someone, I really want to get going with this ! :D (Sorry for being annoying)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

I think you might want to consider a creatine supplement -- as high dose creatine seems to help digit span stuff -- at least in vegetarians.

Creatine 'boosts brain power'
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/3145223.stm

#4 ~ prometheus ~

• 66 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

i think i was the one who posted about this. for exercises that might help improve working memory capacity, try:

http://www.mybraintr...r.com/exercise/

regarding backwards digit span, what was it you wanted to know? the exercises used to improve digit span come are from a very expensive program developed to improve WM capacity of people with ADHD.

i recommend you read up on theories of working memory to understand why exercises such as backwards digit span might improve intelligence, whereas forwards digit span might not. that way if you come across a seemingly unrelated cognitive task you might consider adopting it as an alternative to working on digit span (working memory tasks are very hetrogenous). essentially you want to engage in a task that involves both concurrent storage and processing. sorry, am too tired to elaborate.

#5 rhakshasa

• Topic Starter
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

ecco this website seems really good but the problem is that I do not have a credit card nor really wants to pay as I am sorta low on money

#6 ~ prometheus ~

• 66 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:21 AM

not to be a self-indulgent wanker, but if you want a program to possibly improve WM i designed one a couple months ago:

http://users.tpg.com...nc/WM tasks.zip

i recommend the digit span over the letter span, as the letter span program isn't as "random" in selecting its letters and over many trials you'll start to recall previous letter strings.
(anyone adept in programming, please feel free to recode it). the design for the program is based on descriptions i found in several papers that used commercial programs. bootleg WM tasks!

rhakshasa contrary to what that website states, i think that chunking and other mnemonic techniques is inevitable in a digit span task. regardless of what is done, the WM tasks improve performance in raven's progressive matrices. i also intuitively feel that using complex mnemonics would be of benefit as you'd have to think very quickly to identify the items, generate an appropriate mnemonic and store it, whilst simultaneously processing more items

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 rhakshasa

• Topic Starter
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:40 AM

thanks you ecco, for the advice and the program

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users