Photo
- - - - -

Acetyl L-carnitine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:28 AM

Redox modulation of heat shock protein expression by acetylcarnitine in aging brain: relationship to antioxidant status and mitochondrial function.

Calabrese V, Colombrita C, Sultana R, Scapagnini G, Calvani M, Butterfield DA, Stella AM.

Section of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Catania, Catania, Italy.

There is significant evidence to show that aging is characterized by a stochastic accumulation of molecular damage and by a progressive failure of maintenance and repair processes. Protective mechanisms exist in the brain which are controlled by vitagenes and include members of the heat shock system, heme oxygenase-I, and Hsp70 as critical determinants of brain stress tolerance. Given the broad cytoprotective properties of the heat shock response, molecules inducing this defense mechanism appear to be possible candidates for novel cytoprotective strategies. Acetyl-L-carnitine is proposed as a therapeutic agent for several neurodegenerative disorders, and the present study reports that treatment for 4 months of senescent rats with acetyl-L-carnitine induces heme oxygenase-1 as well as Hsp70 and SOD-2. This effect was associated with upregulation of GSH levels, prevention of age-related changes in mitochondrial respiratory chain complex expression, and decrease in protein carbonyls and HNE formation. We hypothesize that maintenance or recovery of the activity of vitagenes may delay the aging process and decrease the risk of age-related diseases. Particularly, modulation of endogenous cellular defense mechanisms via acetyl-L-carnitine may represent an innovative approach to therapeutic intervention in diseases causing tissue damage, such as neurodegeneration.

PMID: 16677087 [PubMed - in process]

and..

Proteomics analyses of specific protein oxidation and protein expression in aged rat brain and its modulation by L-acetylcarnitine: insights into the mechanisms of action of this proposed therapeutic agent for CNS disorders associated with oxidative stress.

Poon HF, Calabrese V, Calvani M, Butterfield DA.

Department of Chemistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky.

Impaired function of the central nervous system (CNS) in aged animals is associated with increased susceptibility to the development of many neurodegenerative diseases. Age-related functional deterioration in brain is consistent with the free radical theory of aging that predicts, among other things, that free radical reactions with and damage to biomolecules, such as proteins and membrane lipid bilayers, leads to loss of neurons and subsequently diminished cognition. These oxidatively modified biomolecules are believed to contribute to the decreased antioxidant content, mitochondrial dysfunction, and impaired plasticity in aged brains. Treatment of rodents with L-acetylcarnitine (LAC; gamma-trimethyl-beta-acetylbutyrobetaine) can improve these functional losses. Although it is well established that administration of LAC can decrease protein oxidation in aged brains, it is not clear which proteins are decreased in their level of oxidation in the brains of aged rats treated with LAC. The current study used a parallel redox proteomics approach to identify the proteins that are oxidized in aged rat cortex and hippocampus of aged rats. Moreover, those proteins that are reduced in oxidation status were identified in aged brains from rats treated in vivo with LAC. The findings are discussed in reference to brain aging and age-related cognitive impairment.

PMID: 16677085 [PubMed - in process]

#2 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

Alcar sounds like a really good thing but I found it too simulating. Piracetam itself is stimulating and also seems to increace the effects of other drugs. Taking both pir and alcar caused unacceptable levels of sleep disturbance. Many other people have no problem with it. I have a kilo of the stuff and don't use it. I might start trying it again in very small doses. Around 100mg a day seemed tollerable when I tried it before.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:45 AM

xanadu, have you ever thought of taking something to counteract the stimulation effect.

You could take low dose phenibut. Phenibut is pretty good at blunting stimulation

Do you get anxious with the stimulation? Scattered?

#4 cathalmc

• 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hi Zoolander
I recently tried some acetyl l carnitene and found it really beneficial for my mental energy. I however got a skin rash that turned into brown spots like liver spots on my face and other places. I can't figure out why this happened or is there something I could take to stop it happening?
Thanks
Cathal

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

Zoo, I have tried everything. I do not get anxious or scattered, no more than usual. What I get is insomnia, I should have mentioned that. Phenibut helps but I'm afraid to use it much because of the tollerance and addictive potential. I use taurine, inositol, gabba, ashwaganda and bacopa, all of which are supposed to have sedating properties. They do little to nothing to help with sleep. I simply can not turn off the thoughts at night. At times gaba seemed to help but then after a few uses it seemed to do nothing. I've tried large amounts of taurine, like 10gm or so and nothing. Same with inositol. They may help slightly and since I buy in bulk it's not expensive but after taking all of it I may still not sleep well. I've been having to cycle the stuff. Ala is stimulating too. None of that stuff seems very physically stimulating, just mentally stimulating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users