• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

best source of protein when you're trying to avoid whey?

supplement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

For a drink.  ok so you've got soy, no, pea which may not be complete, rice, hemp, egg, and am i missing anything else?  Apparently egg has tons of methionine which is terrible.  Pea was alright but if it's not a complete protein are you just accomplishing nothing by taking it?  Rice I don't really know anything about regarding it as a protein.  Hemp had LOADS of fiber when I saw it in the store which means by the time you get enough protein you're going to have a large amount of fiber which might not be what you want.    Did I skip any which could be beneficial?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:18 AM

I'm not all that well read on the topic, but I've heard vegans have a hard time getting enough quality proteins into their diet, and perhaps ovo-lacto vegetarianism is a wiser alternative as animal proteins are supposed to be of higher quality than protein from vegetarian sources.  

If you really don't eat any meat, fish, chicken etc at all, I would choose egg protein over soy, pea, rice, hemp, or any other vegetable protein source.  If you're consuming any meat, fish, chicken at all, I wouldn't be afraid of dietary eggs in moderation, but if I was already getting animal protein in my diet, I wouldn't add supplemental egg protein under the assumption "more is better".  If you're vegan, or nearly so and really need supplemental protein, egg protein might be the better choice than soy, pea, rice, hemp or other vegetarian sources.  

If a nearly vegan diet allows egg protein supplements, I should think it could also allow dietary (real) eggs, which would be the best option in my humble opinion.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:18 AM

During the times I am being vegetarian I eat basically rice and beans all the time.  But I want a protein source that I can place in shakes and my selections were basically rice egg pea hemp soy.  So I know there are basically milk derived sources but I am trying to miss those.  Does high methionine constitute a problem?

#4 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:21 AM

You may be interested in just eating more beans and less rice. Muscle protein synthesis information I see on the web states 40 grams of protein every 3 hours or so, so you could just eat beans or lentils every few hours. Plenty of fiber and protein there. Maybe through in some eggs to. My experience with protein powder is up in the air as I ponder about it sometimes. I love good quality whey, it really is delicious. But there is no fiber, and easy to over do it when you are in a feeding frenzy needing to rebuild muscle. I can understand though the ease of a shake when you have to maximize muscle growth ever 3 hours of eating. It is rather the opposite end of the spectrum on longevity as natural movement exercises like walking and fasting are not the same as weight training and bulking eating every 3 hours. But if there is not extreme insulin spikes maybe it is healthier than simple carbs inflaming the arteries. Pea protein is rather inexpensive compared to whey and one Thomas Delauer video states it is better at building muscle then whey. I like collagen protein powder and beans personally. Whey none the less is delicious. 

#5 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

I've pondered this as well. There are sprayed beef blood proteins available...super expensive and obviously as animal sourced as it gets. On the near horizon, lab grown meat will probably spin off to meat based protein powders, which I am excited about. There is also more talk of insect based protein powders, which are currently available but very expensive.

#6 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

You may be interested in just eating more beans and less rice. Muscle protein synthesis information I see on the web states 40 grams of protein every 3 hours or so, so you could just eat beans or lentils every few hours. Plenty of fiber and protein there. Maybe through in some eggs to. My experience with protein powder is up in the air as I ponder about it sometimes. I love good quality whey, it really is delicious. But there is no fiber, and easy to over do it when you are in a feeding frenzy needing to rebuild muscle. I can understand though the ease of a shake when you have to maximize muscle growth ever 3 hours of eating. It is rather the opposite end of the spectrum on longevity as natural movement exercises like walking and fasting are not the same as weight training and bulking eating every 3 hours. But if there is not extreme insulin spikes maybe it is healthier than simple carbs inflaming the arteries. Pea protein is rather inexpensive compared to whey and one Thomas Delauer video states it is better at building muscle then whey. I like collagen protein powder and beans personally. Whey none the less is delicious.

Man pea protein seems as good as whey? Is pea complete?

Cleanlabelproject.org has details implying plant protein is contaminated but I can't figure out how to get their reports.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'm not well versed in this topic.  What's the downside to whey?

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users