Any downsides to Berberine?

berberine diabetes blood glucose insulin resistance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Daniel Cooper

• 1,026 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:15 PM

Guys,

Does anyone know of any downsides to taking berberine?  As I age I am sliding towards "pre pre-diabetes".  Fasting glucose is getting into the 90s.  

Looking at berberine my impression is that mg for mg it's about as effective as metformin, however I have this vague memory of someone alleging some downside to this supplement some time back, however I can't really find anything.

Anyone know of a reason not to supplement with berberine?

#2 Benko

• 209 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Examine.com has a lot of good info on it.

It inhibits CYP 26D, CYP 2C9, cyp 3a4 so it might not be a good idea to take it with a number of drugs including rapamycin. Some people get GI symptoms e.g. diarrhea (I didn't have any problems). It did make me hungry after taking it which I never had with gynostemma (another AMPK activator) though this lessened with time.

If you haven't tried it, various fasting protocols e.g. intermittent, Longo's, etc can lower fasting blood sugar.

Edited by Benko, 17 June 2019 - 10:28 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: berberine, diabetes, blood glucose, insulin resistance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users