Most powerful formula for Social Anxiety

anxiety

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ MITOMOUSE has been fully funded!

#31 CalumJones

• 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:25 AM

CalumJones or any else: how would you label or interpret the following mental symptom I sometimes experience:

I get these mental states where words, concepts or images on TV can sort of jolt the mind, and create substantial internal mental tension, such that I need to avoid exposure to conversation, and even watching TV. It's as if my mind cannot process words, ideas, concept and thoughts, so the coping strategy is to avoid conversation or TV. 

It's not the meaning of the words or images that is the issue, as I get the same tension with any word or concept; it just relates to the mental processing any word, concept or image, as if my mind cannot process them without causing mental unrest and upheaval. 

My feeling is that the above symptom might be part of the mild psychosis I get on random days from time to time. 

What has your psychiatrist suggested you may be suffering from?

It sounds like autism. Like when someone on the spectrum experiences sensory overload.

#32 Hip

• 532 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:42 AM

It sounds like autism. Like when someone on the spectrum experiences sensory overload.

I don't think it is sensory overload.

Sensory overload I am familiar with, because it is a common symptom in the condition I have, myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome. My own view is that sensory overload may be due to a breakdown of the brain's sensory gating mechanisms, which are the "firewall" (to use a computer analogy) which prevents extraneous sensory inputs from reaching consciousness. I posted about my firewall theory here.

I found the very low dose amisulpride protocol helps reduce sensory overload.

So whereas sensory overload is consciousness being overwhelmed by too much sensory input, the experience I have when inputs such as words, concepts or images cause mental tension I feel relates more to the mechanism of interpretation and understanding of these inputs. I don't find these inputs overwhelm consciousness, but as I grapple with finding the meaning of these inputs, that causes unease and tension. I think this might be part of psychosis, which I do experience to a mild degree.

Edited by Hip, 24 July 2019 - 03:42 AM.

#33 cat-nips

• 215 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

CalumJones or any else: how would you label or interpret the following mental symptom I sometimes experience:

I get these mental states where words, concepts or images on TV can sort of jolt the mind, and create substantial internal mental tension, such that I need to avoid exposure to conversation, and even watching TV. It's as if my mind cannot process words, ideas, concept and thoughts, so the coping strategy is to avoid conversation or TV. 

It's not the meaning of the words or images that is the issue, as I get the same tension with any word or concept; it just relates to the mental processing any word, concept or image, as if my mind cannot process them without causing mental unrest and upheaval. 

My feeling is that the above symptom might be part of the mild psychosis I get on random days from time to time. 

That mental symptom seems to be a frequent occurrence for me as well. 

Very interesting post, especially the discussions of differentiation of anxiety as anticipatory, situational, and post and hopefully suggestions to deal with varying types.  Apologies for not having any real insight at the moment, but just wanted to follow this discussion.   :)

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#34 Matt

• 2,836 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I've known Virtual Reality to help a lot of people over the last few years who were suffering from social anxiety. It really does make a big difference if you frequently use it on apps like Sansar, VRChat, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users