LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Inducing neurogenesis

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

A recent article in PNAS reports on the finding that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as Prozac mediate their anti-depressant effects by inducing neural progenitor growth in the dentate gyrus (a part of the hippocampus that is an essential element of long term potentiation). Of note is that unlike conventional nootropics (and other mind altering substances) that act by transiently modulating neurotransmission levels, the effects of SSRI's take approximately 30 days to take effect - essentially the time it takes for a neural progenitor cell to become a neuron. Considering that neural progenitors become depleted with aging it may be prophylactically beneficial to commence on SSRI's at an earlier age, even if there are no symptoms of depression (the condition that SSRI's are indicated for).

Is there anyone here who is taking SSRI's, and if so have you observed any changes in memory function?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Why not tianeptine?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 boilerroom

• 88 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

Does anyone know if SNRI's, such as cymbalta, have been shown to induce neurogenesis?

#4 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

I'm pretty much interested into positive effects of SSRI's even i don't have depression, but i don't like their side effects - loss of libido and lethargy.
Since I'm stoping deprenyl (YES I DO :)) i might look into tianeptine, but it's pretty expensive.

#5 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:09 AM

Ironically, it seems people draw conclusions a bit too quick. For example, lithium carbonate (at therapeutically relevant doses!) causes significant increases in grey matter of brains of bipolar subjects. I would fear folks would think tianeptine induces neurogenesis in healthy subjects when this has never been proved. I am just guessing here. Is there any evidence of tianeptine's effects in normal subjects?
Peace.

#6 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

Adam there are studies about Tianeptine restoring neuroplasticity in humans, i haven't researched into details but it's not like depressed people are generally ill and have different brain than healthy people. I'll have to get into details when i find some time

#7 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

It is not a fair (or scientific) assumption to confer results from a depressed population from an anti depressant onto a healthy population -- they are depressed specifically due to their neurochemistry. :)

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Tianpetine seems to be particularly good at helping cortisol damage. Which is probably why it works in depressed people. It might also work in other cases where cortisol damage has occurred.

#9 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Adam
I don't have scientifict claim, like i said i didn't look too much into it, i will when i find time. It was just assumption based on my experience. I've read just a bit more on tianeptine today and decided not to take it due to it's "claming" properties so to call it.

#10 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:48 AM

http://www.bentham.o...cn1-1/Brink.pdf -insanely informative on Tianeptine. Has about 200 sources or so. Even goes into detail on the patents and claims that servier has made.

Anyways back to SSRI'S

Edited by kottke, 23 May 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#11 beej

• 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

SSRI's are shits of drugs. I have been on about all of them for major depression and the thought of taking them for some kind of inhansement blows me away!!
They make an emotionless void, on the outside you are bright and happy but the emotion that should be with it is gone..... its like going through the motions.

Also you may want to find out about tardive dyskenesia

#12 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:19 PM

They do induce neurogenesis. So sell your soul now, and get on board!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 ubey

• 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

I would like to know if Hyperforin, the SSR Inhibiting constituent of St. John's Wort, does induce neurogenesis. It proved to posess a very strong anti-depressant effect. Even Paxil couldn't match it, in effectiveness in combatting depression and in tolerability. However, this plant almost never comes to mind when SSRI's or other anti-depressiva's are being mentioned. It must be the natural human inclination to think natural components cannot stand against synthetic ones.

I'm willing to give an extract with 3% hyperforin content a try as I have found a very cheap source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users