• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Supplements That Do NOT Survive Digestion?

supplements digestion nutraceuticals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:45 AM

What are some of the most promising nutraceuticals related to aging or overall health that do not survive digestion, either stomach acid or the first pass through the liver after absorption from the small intestine?   Would any of these nutraceuticals absorb better if administered as a suppository?   The theory would be that drugs that absorb in the rectum do not connect to the liver through the portal vein, and therefore this might represent a unique drug pathway in the body that bypasses stomach acid and also bypasses the initial liver detoxification step.

As just one example, I am thinking of things like catalase, which converts hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water.  There is some speculation - but no studies - suggesting that supplemental catalase might delay graying of hair as we age.   The problem is catalase probably gets hydrolyzed by stomach acid and does not survive digestion.   

Edited by pone11, 24 August 2019 - 01:52 AM.

• like x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:24 PM

Stomach acid is supposed to be much higher in youth than middle/old age, so perhaps this would be more significant for the under 40 crowd.  You can also briefly neutralize stomach acid with magnesium (or calcium) when taking supps affected by acid.  

I've read most ALL probiotic strains are killed by gastric acid.  Lactobacillus GG has been studied and documented to survive the acid test, which is why I take the single strain supp (Culturelle).  I take fructooligosaccharide / FOS prebiotic to feed/support other strains of gut bacteria inside the colon.  

Tea is supposed to raise catalase, & I believe this works.  I've been trying to reduce my tea intake due to the aluminum & fluoride content, but nothing makes me feel better than an ice tea with lunch.  

It's an interesting topic.  Hope we get some more input on this.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Makf90

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

In the case of certain powders, drops, gums or lozenges, absorption is sublingual or buccal, which bypasses the digestive system and allows the supplement to enter the bloodstream at a much faster rate.

You can find some interesting info here https://www.masterco...livery-options/

Edited by Makf90, 29 August 2019 - 09:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements, digestion, nutraceuticals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users