Photo
- - - - -

A good supplement to step up metabolism

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magrus

• 44 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

Can anyone recommend a nootropic ( supplement) to boost metabolism to counteract weight gain after quitting smoking? I quit 2 months ago and so far so good. Yet knowing people who managed to gain close to 25 pounds I'm still apprehensive. I do take Piracetam, R-ala, cycle Picamilone amd work out few 5 times a week. Also my motivation and desire to work (I am a painter) has been rather lackadaisical of late, sort of low on enthusiasm & idea.
Have any one dealt with similar issues? Please advise.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

If you're interested in life extension and good health, the list of supplements you can use to boost metabolism is a short one. Green tea extract is a good bet... possibly forskolin as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nihilist

• 113 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:05 PM

id stay away from GT extract and just start drinking it.

the big thing with a weight gain from stopping smoking isnt a metabolic downing issue. its more than likely a hand to mouth side effect.

start chewing gum, and get something you can keep yours hands busy with. eventually, you can ween yourself off the hand toy once the cravings subside.

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

As long as you keep your appetite under control, don't worry about it. Eat more fiber, or just monitor your intake. Metabolism isn't really an issue at maintenance Calories.

#5 magrus

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

the big thing with a weight gain from stopping smoking isnt a metabolic downing issue. its more than  likely a hand to mouth side effect.

start chewing gum, and get something you can keep yours hands busy with. eventually, you can ween yourself off the hand toy once the cravings subside.

What is wrong with GT extract or supplement?
I don't really miss the "hand toy", but my mind has gotten somewhat sluggish without the nicotine stimulation and Piracetam doesn't seem to help. None of the usual electric activity. Hope all of this is temporary.

#6 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:40 PM

Magrus, the best thing you can do is quit all sources of refined sugar and flour. Do it right away and only eat things like veggies, fruit and perhaps a little meat. The main downfall of people quiting smoking is the weight gain. There is no magic pill or powder that will do it for you. Yes, there are things like amphetamines but they are very bad for your health as well as addictive. Switch your diet over and the food cravings will fall away like magic along with the extra pounds. I know because I've done and I'd never go back to eating sugar. You have to give up the flour too. That means all bread, pasta, pizza, rolls, etc etc. After the first week or two you lose the cravings. If you can give up cigarettes, you can give up sugar and flour as well.

If you need stimulation, try alcar. It's a noot, good for the old brain and it speeds up you metabolism. I won't try to pretend I know all about it but it's said to increase mitochondrial metabolism. I found it too stimulating, myself, and had to give it up. Many people swear by it. There are other things too that you can try. None of them will substitute for changing your diet.

#7 randyh

• 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

I agree that cutting sugar and flour is a good plan but I think that certain breads and pastas can be ok if they're "wholesome" enough. I go with the sprouted grain stuff - it's very high in fiber and has lots of protein (for bread anyway). It's also alkaline. [thumb]

Like xanadu said, ALCAR is supposed to be stimulating. I've never tried it myself. Another thing that you might try is switching your piracetam out for aniracetam as it's supposed to be more "energetic" than the piracetam. Again, I haven't tried it myself so take my advice with a big fat grain of salt.

-r

#8 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:50 AM

What is wrong with GT extract or supplement?

I'm wondering the same thing, I take Lean Green twice daily myself.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 magrus

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I've heard Alcar does work for this sort of thing as well as TMG, though I'm not sure what the latter does. I'll try them both.
As far as sugar & bread (except occasional sprouted or whole grain variety) - I'd cut those out right after quitting, and that is probably responsible for not having gained weight so far.

The question is How much ALCAR should one take and when? As for Aniracetam I have tried it and liked it far less than Piracetam. I can pretty much say it did nothing for me. Perhaps I didn't take it with enough fatty foods. I prefer Piracetam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users