Prostate hypertrophy : alternatives to 5-alpha-réductase inhibitors

prostate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 samson75

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hello, i'm a 45 years old man who witnesses some of his friends and family members starting to have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). I know i won't escape it but i would like to start taking supplements that prevent or delay that condition.

I've done my research, first i saw that the usual medications used consist of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors that prevent the transformation of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (excuse my bad english ;-). Very bad surprise because it's the way "Propecia" (finasteride) works (for hair loss). This medication can have severe side effects on erection/ejaculation and even depression (i heard not a long time ago a radio news related to this catastrophic effect).

Being plagued myself with chronic depression i'm wondering what will be my fate when i'll develop a prostate issue knowing that i'll never take medications that could worsen my condition...

Next i searched for natural herbal supplements in order to prevent/delay prostate enlargement and i ended with those for exemple : saw palmetto, nettle root, epilobe, pumpkin seed oil, lycopene, pygeum.

Big problem : when checking the way they acted i found that ALL supplements work by also inhibiting 5-alpha-réductase !

Being a depression daily sufferer i'm not willing to try any of those.

I would like to know if there are supplements available that are beneficial in the prevention of prostate enlargement without acting like described above.

Thanks.

Edited by samson75, 04 October 2019 - 07:32 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:15 AM

That pretty much rules out everything known to work!

This isn't accepted medically but many theorize that it is the androgen to estrogen ratio that worsens in adults and contributes to prostate issues. Get blood tests and try to keep estrogen at youthful levels for men, ie lower levels than adult and middle aged males.

If dht were the sole culprit every bodybuilder would have bph, but they take estrogen blockers and that seems to play a part.

I think prolactin also targets the prostate. Bodybuilders also take prolactin inhibitors depending on the juice they use.

Also, unfortunately hgh also targets the prostate as seen in people with too much also have bph.

Edited by Rocket, 06 October 2019 - 12:17 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 samson75

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the answer, i worried why i learned that Finasteride is often used to treat that condition having read many articles linking it with depression. But perhaps it's a property of that molecule and not a generality of all DHT inhibitors...otherwise i'm screwed :-(

#4 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

I've used both finisteride and avodart in my youth because of a receding hairline. No depression. No libido issues. No nothing. I am thinking of going on avodart again as I just want to hang onto what I have and regrow some of what was lost.

But I will be sure to run it with arimidex. My E levels are running higher and I should take it regardless now that I think this through.

Don't get hung up on the depression horror stories. A subset of population will suffer depression regardless and will seek to blame it on something.

Mild depression is winnable with proper attitude as long as it isn't a major depressive episode that cripples people. BPH is forever man! If its in your family, man for sure I would be consuming large amounts of lycopene and pumpkin seed oil. Saw palmetto is worthless and doesn't target the prostate. I understand that some people equalize things out on avodart and finisteride and symptoms side effects go away.

Keep estrogen in check! Remember bodybuilders have very high dht and even use dht derivatives but take estrogen blockers and they don't. suffer BPH. Estrogen is implicated in both BPH and cancer. DHT with estrogen seems to be a bad combination in the prostate.

Edited by Rocket, 07 October 2019 - 12:06 AM.

• Disagree x 1

#5 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

You want to inhibit DHT to some degree. But not completely.
You should split up 1mg pill into 4 and take one piece every 3 days.

I also highly recommend Tru Niagen. My prostate inflammation
Was cured after a few month. All people with pelvic pain should try it.
  • dislike x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Moderators: Honestly, why isn't this guy banned? If you listen to this guy, his company that he has invested money into, it's products raised his grandmother from her grave after 2 months of use. Every post is false and misleading information, and intentionally done so.

• Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Moderators: Honestly, why isn't this guy banned? If you listen to this guy, his company that he has invested money into, it's products raised his grandmother from her grave after 2 months of use. Every post is false and misleading information, and intentionally done so.

If you don’t like the advice, too bad. My experiences are real. Too many jerks in this forum.
  • Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prostate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users