• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How much do selegiline/rasagiline affect appetite and hunger, if at all?

selegiline

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jacobjerondin

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:20 PM

Title says it all, been super interested in trying selegiline (really p-f-deprenyl) for a mad minute now! Their effects on motivation and confidence sound like just what I've been looking for through my whole biohacking career and I can't think of anything better for this purpose.

However, I am pretty concerned these MAO-B inhibitors' effects on appetite. I tend to have issues eating enough already and if I don't eat as much as my appetite calls for, I tend to feel really stressed, tweaky, and stuck in sympathetic system mode (which I'm sensitive to already since I have anxiety.) 

Thus, I've found that anything that suppresses appetite even slightly for an extended period of time tends to make it difficult for me to eat enough, which then leads to me feeling awful until the effect wears off and I can provide the necessary food. My sleep also gets very disrupted with me waking up feeling agitated and weak after 6 hours of sleep, unable to go back to sleep until I eat a full meal. As you can tell, appetite suppression tends to seriously mess with my life.

So I'm just curious to hear about people's experiences with how selegiline and rasagiline affect your appetite and whether you think it's worth me trying it or not given my situation.

I'm leaning towards starting with p-f-deprenyl (which is basically just a better version of selegiline) since I've heard that's the best out of the three different mao-bis on the market. I'm also planning on taking p-f-deprenyl sublingually or intranasally which should avoid the l meth and l amph metabolites just like it would with selegiline. So that should hopefully avoid the appetite-suppressing adrenergic effects, but dopamine has a powerful effect on appetite too, so I'm still concerned.

One other idea I have if p-f-deprenyl/selegiline is going to noticeably affect my appetite is to try some kind of appetite enhancing supplement to counteract the effect. That seems like a difficult game to play tho, to balance the appetite suppression against appetite enhancement to regain my normal appetite.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all insight and advice!

#2 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

1. Selegiline will naturally have an amphetamine type affect because when the mao inhbiitor reaches the liver, it's converted into Dex-methamphetamine  which is why it has off-label usage for ADHD, at least from what I understand about the chemical. I've never tried it so it's hard to say. All Amphetemines are vasoconstrictors which will inevitably reduce your appetite, so it's best to chunk your calories into 1500 before you eat and after the medication wears off. You can either take it everyday until your brain down-regulates the extra dopamine and potential nonerephrine from the D3,D2 points  and you might still get a minor stimulant effect. As your body normalizes the medication, you will get your appetite back but the stimulant will loose it's effectiveness over-time, so take it about once every 4 days and that should protect it's therapeutic properties. Selegline  had a good craze back in 2015-2014 ish but it losts it's utility because it's not the magical drug, that gives improved cognition and sustained attention without harsh side-effects. I'm still waiting...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jacobjerondin

• Topic Starter
  • 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

Planning to take this sublingually or intranasally to avoid the *l*-meth/amph metabolites as stated already. There's a lot of things wrong with the rest of your response too, go do more research on selegiline. i thought the same things you think about it before I read up on it very deeply.

#4 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:56 AM

For me from doses ranging from 5mg-30mg taken orally my appetite wasn't changed at all.  Of course, ymmv.

• like x 1

#5 jacobjerondin

• Topic Starter
  • 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:04 AM

For me from doses ranging from 5mg-30mg taken orally my appetite wasn't changed at all.  Of course, ymmv.

Thanks for the info! Damn, that's a lot for it to not be affecting your appetite I think! Did you ever try sublingual or intranasal? You should have or should do so now if you still have any, to save money if you're gonna be taking 30mg. Also, have you tried anything else that suppresses most people's appetite? Such as any stims or things like that? Just trying to see if maybe you're not very sensitive to norepinephrine or adrenaline...? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:08 AM

I used to take adderall and it affected my appetite big time the first couple of months.  Selegeline is way gentler even once i got up to 20mg and it was just as effective for adhd at that dose.  5 and 10mg just gave me a hint of its potential in that regard.  At 30mg, it also became an effective AD and after CAREFUL experimentation I found no need to do the maoi diet at 30mg.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: selegiline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users