Photo
- - - - -

Disappointed by Modafil

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

I've been taking Modalert 200 for a few days now. I may have mixed reviews on it. The first day I took I didn't feel alot from,maybe high expectations from what I read. But as I continued to take I definetly felt the effects from it. The only thing I wonder is the slight pain I have been having in my lower back. Wonder if its from the med?
Not sure. I am going to stop for a few days to see if the pain goes away, then retry it again to see if it comes back. If it does come back I may discontinue using it. I am a firm believer to listen to your body when it comes to small pains like this.

#32 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

It is important to remember that Modafinil is extensively metabolized by the liver, and that the presence of other drugs/herbs/supplements may impact it's bioavailability and thus effectiveness in enhancing wakefulness.

In vitro inhibition and induction of human hepatic cytochrome P450 enzymes by modafinil.

Robertson P, DeCory HH, Madan A, Parkinson A.

Department of Drug Safety and Disposition, Cephalon, Inc., West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA. proberts@cephalon.com

The ability of modafinil to affect human hepatic cytochrome P450 (CYP) activities was examined in vitro. The potential for inhibition of CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2B6, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, CYP3A4/5, and CYP4A9/11 by modafinil (5-250 microM) was evaluated with pooled human liver microsomes. Modafinil exhibited minimal capacity to inhibit any CYP enzyme, except CYP2C19. Modafinil inhibited the 4'-hydroxylation of S-mephenytoin, a marker substrate for CYP2C19, reversibly and competitively with a K(i) value of 39 microM, which approximates the steady-state C(max) value of modafinil in human plasma at a dosage of 400 mg/day. No irreversible inhibition of any CYP enzyme was observed, and there was no evidence of metabolism-dependent inhibition. The potential for induction of CYP activity was evaluated by exposing primary cultures of human hepatocytes to modafinil (10-300 microM). Microsomes were then prepared and assayed for CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2B6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, and CYP3A4/5 activities. The mean activities of microsomal CYP1A2, CYP2B6, and CYP3A4/5 from modafinil-treated hepatocytes were higher (up to 2-fold) than those in the solvent-treated controls but were less than those produced by reference inducers of these enzymes. At high concentrations of modafinil (>/=100 microM), the mean activity of CYP2C9 was decreased (up to 60%) relative to that in the solvent controls. Overall, modafinil was shown to have effects on human hepatic CYP1A2, CYP2B6, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP3A4/5 activities in vitro. Although effects obtained in vitro are not always predictive of effects in vivo, such results provide a rational basis for understanding drug-drug interactions that are observed clinically and for planning subsequent investigations.

Clinical pharmacokinetic profile of modafinil.

Robertson P Jr, Hellriegel ET.

Department of Drug Safety and Disposition, Cephalon, Inc, West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA. proberts@cephalon.com

Modafinil is a unique wake-promoting agent for oral administration. Its pharmacological properties are distinct from those of other CNS agents, and it selectively targets neuronal pathways in the sleep/wake centres of the brain. After single or multiple oral doses, modafinil is readily absorbed, reaching maximum plasma concentrations at 2-4 hours after administration and pharmacokinetic steady state within 2-4 days. Its pharmacokinetics are dose-independent between 200 and 600 mg/day. The elimination half-life is approximately 12-15 hours, which is largely reflective of the pharmacokinetics of the longer-lived l-enantiomer. Modafinil is primarily eliminated via metabolism, mainly in the liver, with subsequent excretion in the urine. Less than 10% of the dose is excreted as unchanged drug. Metabolism is largely via amide hydrolysis, with lesser contributions from cytochrome P450 (CYP)-mediated oxidative pathways. In patients who are renally or hepatically compromised, the elimination processes can be slowed, and in a similar manner (although to a lesser extent), elimination in the elderly may be reduced due to normal effects of aging. Because modafinil is administered concomitantly with other medications, the potential for metabolic drug-drug interactions has been examined both in vitro and in vivo. In vitro, modafinil was observed to produce a reversible inhibition of CYP2C19 in human liver microsomes. It also caused a small, but concentration-dependent, induction of CYP1A2, CYP2B6 and CYP3A4 activities and suppression of CYP2C9 activity in primary cultures of human hepatocytes. Clinical studies have been conducted to examine the potential for interactions with methylphenidate, dexamfetamine, warfarin, ethinylestradiol and triazolam. The only substantive interactions observed were with ethinylestradiol and triazolam, apparently through induction of CYP3A4, primarily in the gastrointestinal system. Overall, the results of the interaction studies suggest that modafinil has potential to affect the pharmacokinetics of drugs that are metabolised by certain CYP enzymes. Compounds that induce or inhibit CYP activity are unlikely to have major effects on the pharmacokinetics of modafinil. In summary, the results show that modafinil is a moderately long-lived drug that is well absorbed and extensively metabolised.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 patch

• 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:21 AM

regino007, your back ache could be caused by sitting in one position for a long time. Drugs like modafinil can make four hours seem like no time at all, so you may not realize the physical strain you put on your body.

#34 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

regino007, your back ache could be caused by sitting in one position for a long time. Drugs like modafinil can make four hours seem like no time at all, so you may not realize the physical strain you put on your body.

I sit for long periods at a time already. I went ahead and took 200mg today at noon. It always seems the pain hits mostly at night around 11pm or so...........like enough time for the med to make its way through or something.................I'm not going to take it for a few days to see if it stops..............

I've taken a few other things before and never had a pain like this. I started taking this last Sat,by Mon night I was feeling an uncomfortable pain in my lower back.........like in my kidney area.I thought it was the beer drinking I had Sat night but it really hasn't gone away.

#35 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

I sit for long periods at a time already. I went ahead and took 200mg today at noon. It always seems the pain hits mostly at night around 11pm or so...........like enough time for the med to make its way through or something.................I'm not going to take it for a few days to see if it stops..............

I've taken a few other things before and never had a pain like this. I started taking this last Sat,by Mon night I was feeling an uncomfortable pain in my lower back.........like in my kidney area.I thought it was the beer drinking I had Sat night but it really hasn't gone away.

Hi Regina

I always feel that we have gut feelings ...........that if you feel that an organ may be involved you are probably right [sfty]
You should stop all meds and never drink if you are taking modifanil ... because your liver may not be able to handle it(I know with provigil there is a warning about drinking)
I am not sure of your age but it was a common occurance and that pain is a symptom that I saw with friends when I was younger that got urinary infections and if you also have a problem urinating, infrequent ,feeling a need to urinate and then you can't... Cranberry juice will help flush your kidney, stop meds and alcohol....lots of water
And if that doesnt help you may need to see a doctor because you may need an antibiotic
June

#36 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

I was drinking the first night I started taking it. I started to take a cranberry pill to help flush out the kidneys and went and got some more liver protectant too,(milk thistle)
I have stopped taking it for a few days and I must say that the pain has not come back. I want to try it again to test to see if that was the cause...........I may wait for now.
Now I have alot of these just sitting around.......................lol

#37 slainte

• 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

Question.

It is well established that memory and sleep go hand in hand.

Is it counter productive to stay alert when you dont have the sleep cycles to process, and store?

The wealth of experience on this site should lead to some interesting answers.

#38 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

It is well established that memory and sleep go hand in hand. 

Is it counter productive to stay alert when you dont have the sleep cycles to process, and store?

For the long haul, I don't think you'd find much argument in favour of going that route. As you say, it just doesn't mesh too well with what we've seen happen in people undergoing even minor long term sleep deprivation. That said, I don't think anyone can really give much more than a guess about how that's going to hold up with any particular new drug added into the mix. I don't think we really know enough about memory consolidation at this point to speculate too far about what effect a combination of lowered sleep time and altered sleep pattern arising from a drug would be without actual experimentation.

One also has to keep in mind the different needs for an a particular individual, in a particular time, in a particular place. Someone whose main mental task is a day or two of memorising data for an exam whose topic will never come up again is going to have very different needs than another person who has to learn a large amount of new data in a short period of time, and then apply that information in a creative way to some situation.

#39 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Well to update on things.
I have not taken any Modalert since July 1st. I must say that I have not had that "pain" since then.
I am going to take it again maybe today and see if that is what has caused it. I'll keep updating when I do.

#40 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

I quit grinding my teeth in my sleep and tensing my back when I introduced Magnesium in my diet. When I was taking Modafinil before the supplemental Mag the feeling of Modafinil was horrible. It caused me to prematurely say some negative things about Airsealeds "Quality" Modafinil.

#41 tadfish

• 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

[quote]I take several drugs that have conflicting receptor antagonistic/agonistic profiles. It's just a question of extent. Caffeine has been shown to antagonized by theanine (mg for mg!) in rats, and I take both... Hydergine, for what it's worth, appears to be very mild. I've been taking Hydergine FAS for about two and a half years along with my Provigil, no problems thus far. However, bromocriptine is another ergot I learned should not be messed with. It's a POTENT Dopamine 2 receptor agonist, not just any old agonist... :)

[/quote][/quote]

why shouldn't bromocriptine be messed with

#42 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:05 AM

I tried Modafinil at 200 mg for the first time this morning (Indian modafinil). For about the first three to four hours, my experience was positive. The effect was similar to caffeine. I felt alert and could process GMAT reading comprehension sections with efficiency at or slightly better than my personal baseline relative to moderate caffeine (~100 mg from soft drink or tea). I ingested Modafinil on an empty stomach in the morning, but after lunch, it seemed that the effects started to fade. By 5-6 hours after taking it, I noticed that my reading comprehension efficiency had dropped below my baseline (relative to no caffeine). At around 8 hours after, I found it difficult to comprehend a given passage. (I obviously was not testing for 8 hours straight, took frequent breaks. Otherwise, fatigue could have been a larger factor in the decrease.) I felt like I was retaining nothing, short-term memory or concentration seemed to be far below normal. I don't know what modafinil actually does to produce short-term cognitive effects. I feel like it stimulated some process which produced the initial cognitive boost or at least feeling of having increased alertness, but then something became depleted. I drank some tea in the afternoon, but that did not restore cognitive function. Now I have a slight headache. Otherwise, I feel awake and alert, I just don't feel like thinking. Anyone else experience something similar to this? I felt that this could partly be related to placebo effect. However, my experience with Adrafinil was different. I never got the initial feeling of a 8+ point IQ boost with Adrafinil. Otherwise, aside from the first four hours, my experience with Modafinil seems similar to the first time I tried Adrafinil (at 300 mg). Since Modafinil / Adrafinil have been reported to improve alertness and concentration, I felt that reading comprehension would be a good starting benchmark. I have not tested modafinil in other areas of cognitive activity. And from today's results, I probably will not. I am 24 by the way.

#43 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

The way you respond to modafinil might be radically different than the way I (or anyone else for that matter) repond to it. One of the main reasons you want to work with a licenced physician is to have access to an individual who is well trained in the field of Psychiatry.

Psychiatry is a medical speciality whose primary goal is to improve people's mental well-being. This can be by managing and improving the symptoms of specific mental illness, as well as assisting people to gain insight into themselves and their relationships with others.

The name derives from the Greek for "healer of the spirit". In the United States, it is practised by people, termed psychiatrists, holding M.D. or D.O. degrees.

While all clinicians encounter patients with mental illnesses and any of them may treat it, psychiatrists specialize in these areas. They are specifically trained in pointing out and medication of abnormal behaviour. Treatment can involve medication, psychotherapy (such as cognitive behaviour therapy, interpersonal therapy, and psychodynamic psychotherapy), and psychosocial interventions. The majority of modern treatments involve medication.

You can get an MD in the US to prescribe you modafinil; and that's exactly what I suggest you try to do...and stop messing around with this questionable international stuff. That should be your last resort. I have filled prescriptions for MANY meds at my local pharmacy written by my doctor. Provigil is the only medicine my insurance company will not authorize for me (no matter how many times my doctor appeals). If you have an organ (or maybe even two) malfunctioning or suffer from some weird genetic defect that makes you metabolise modafinil at some super slow rate, your doctor might be able to figure this out and prevent possible any damage from happening.

Nick Boström says in the clip linked below that the development of drugs that may enhance cognition are a "side effect of drug development." So, when you look for a MD, I suggest you call every one you can (or every one your insurance company works with) and tell them you have tried modafinil and you feel you might have ADD or ADHD. Have you seen a doctor to asses if you might have ADD, or perhaps if you might benefit from these therapies?

http://streaming.oii...6/16032006-1.rm

MDs in the USA (where I know you are) have access to quite a large variety of medicines to treat most disorders effectively. As you may know, cognitive enhancement is not a priority for the FDA; so there are no drug companies developing drugs specifically to enhance cognition --- especially for healthy subjects. Even the "nootropics" sold as dietary supplements in the USA are only sold as such because the US FDA did not reject a prior notification from US supplement companies and they felt they had no inherent toxicity -- or effect (at least that's the case with Piracetam, it seems). No one regulates these products...and they are commonly sold as "food product"...so vendors, by LAW, cannot make claims about nootropics making you "smarter" without taking the risk of getting a visit from the FDA. Similarly, an MD cannot really prescribe you a drug to enhance your cognitive function without possibly getttng sued for malpractice. Most folks who really benefit from such therapies can fit into DSM-IV criteria, so MDs can't get any heat.

#44 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

I felt like I was retaining nothing, short-term memory or concentration seemed to be far below normal. I don't know what modafinil actually does to produce short-term cognitive effects. I feel like it stimulated some process which produced the initial cognitive boost or at least feeling of having increased alertness, but then something became depleted. I drank some tea in the afternoon, but that did not restore cognitive function. Now I have a slight headache. Otherwise, I feel awake and alert, I just don't feel like thinking.

That's interesting, I tend to have the same effect with methylphenidate: alert, but not really feeling like my head wants to think anything complex. I think it goes to show that the meds might overstimulate sites where there's already enough acitivity and the brain doesn't like overactivity which makes you end up with lowered cognition.

#45 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

I think it goes to show that the meds might overstimulate sites where there's already enough acitivity and the brain doesn't like overactivity which makes you end up with lowered cognition.

Having very little knowledge of biology/neurobiology...that's what I too am thinking.

It seems to work for some people though. It still kept me up a while so I guess it could be useful for performing relatively simple or tedious tasks which take a while. But in regards to learning and comprehending new concepts, modafinil was only productive for the first three or four hours, and even then, I am not sure it was really that helpful at all. I have yet to find a one-size-fits all nootropic or brain enhancer. I think I am going to adopt kenj's philosophy and give up all "nootropics" and focus instead on ensuring that there are no limiting factors affecting my mental performance. Limiting factors in terms of diet, exercise, and nutrition. Find a better multivitamin, continue taking anti-aging related supplements, adopt a consistent sleep pattern. I will still keep an eye on cognitive enhancers though. When the stuff becomes mainstream around college science and engineering students and the high-tech crowd, I will definitely look into it. (When the stuff shows up in a Starbucks next to MIT or is advertised right after a Viagra commercial -- assuming the advertisement does not show up in the middle of a NASCAR race :-) -- then I will probably jump on the bandwagon.)

#46 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

I think I am going to adopt kenj's philosophy and give up all "nootropics" and focus instead on ensuring that there are no limiting factors affecting my mental performance.  Limiting factors in terms of diet, exercise, and nutrition.  Find a better multivitamin, continue taking anti-aging related supplements, adopt a consistent sleep pattern.  I will still keep an eye on cognitive enhancers though.

That's right where I'm at as well... On the days that I have taken Modafinil by the end of the night when I read I don't comprehend nearly as well. I also would much rather watch a movie on those nights than read (It's usually the opposite).

#47 power.bulls.x

• 115 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:26 AM

have any one tried out memantine . i ve heared that is stop tolerance of amphetamine users. memantine has the abiliti to reduce Ca+ influx in a mutch stronger way than Mg can reduce exitotoxicity.

Edited by pbx06, 31 August 2006 - 01:36 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#48 Modafil

• 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

I have the 200mg..I cut in half take one and then 1 hour later I take the other half.. Works great for me..
I also sell them in the 10 packs if anyone is interested..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users