Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#511 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

i would not overdose on potassium, certainly not as a preventative measure. google hyperkalemia:

If hyperkalemia comes on suddenly and you have very high levels of potassium, you may feel heart palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, or vomiting. Sudden or severe hyperkalemia is a life-threatening condition. It requires immediate medical care.

What is Hyperkalemia? | National Kidney Foundation

The normal recommended intake of potassium is  3,500 – 4,700 mg per day.  The average intake of potassium in the US is 1,755 mg/day.  Sodium and potassium intakes among US adults: NHANES 2003-2008

A banana generally has a bit over 400mg.  So I've essentially recommended one to two bananas a day.  If that level of potassium intake is dangerous then perhaps bananas should carry a warning label from the Surgeon General.

• Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#512 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:33 PM

Beginning of march I had a fever, chills without a running nose at all. Stomach was upset. Since I was on red alert I instantly took

C-vitamin powder several dosages over the day

A Zinc/copper pill once a day

Colloidal silver

MitoQ 5mg/day

Q10 dont remember pill size

Garlic extract

At one point I was sitting by the toilet ready to throw up, drank some silver (which I am quite unsure about but SO likes it so we have a drum) and it almost instantly cleared urge to throw up.

I don't think that was covid, probably just a normal virus. But it makes me wonder. Felt like the right thing to manage with lots of C-vitamin according to the Pauling protocol.

I ordered potassium, ordered 1.5kg ascorbic acid powder (could not find it in any local stores now) and Im going to up my green tea habit.

Wonder of coffee is good or bad? Supposed to offer hepa protection and Covid really seems to hit internal organs hard.

My only question is should you supplement or try to get more potassium in your diet prophylactically. Since it appears that being infected with the virus washes out potassium through the kidneys it's not clear to me that additional potassium before infection will help.

On the other hand, the western diet tends to be low in potassium, so taking an extra 500 ~ 1000 mg probably isn't going to hurt anything unless you're one of the very few people with hyperkalemia.  It's very cheap, it's low risk, so why not?

Since the virus can obviously be with you for long time, 14-40 days of incubation before onset of symtoms, I'd say potassium every day (potatoes are a good source?) might be a good idea.

#513 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

Dr. Anthony Fauci did an interview and he mentioned that based upon information concerning Italy's

fatalities from the virus, that 99% of those fatalities had an underlying condition.  Of those 99% around 75%

had the underlying condition of hypertension.  He said that since it was known that these patients had hypertension

then it would be assumed they were being treated for that by a physician with some type of medication.

He said that from all of the underlying conditions why is it that hypertension shows to be the greatest problem

with fatalities of this virus.  He did seem to be concerned about the treatment for hypertension causing this issue.

Since treatment for hypertension usually up-regulates ACE2 then maybe down-regulating ACE2 is the way to go

and taking those supplements will help.

Concentration-dependent effects of zinc on angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 activity 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/30649891

#514 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:28 PM

You wonder how much he dosed himself with.

Apparently it was a "teaspoon" which would be about 4gm. Toxic dose is 2gm.

#515 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:55 AM

US online pharmacy healthwarehouse.com says:

Due to the national shortage and directives from the Kentucky Board of Pharmacy (the state where we are located), we are ONLY dispensing Hydroxychloroquine, Chloroquine, Mefloquine, and Azithromycin to patients who meet the following criteria:

1. Proof of prior diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus – we must be able to verify prior filling history with either our pharmacy or another pharmacy.

2. Proof of positive test for COVID-19 (also known as coronavirus or current novel virus)

At this time, we are unable to accommodate orders for Malaria prevention.

If you have a positive test of COVID-19 or a prior verifiable diagnosis for RA or Lupus, please email COVID@HealthWarehouse.com or reply to this email within 24 hours. Otherwise, your order will be CANCELLED

#516 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:53 AM

Managed to find some more details. Turns out he was using zinc and Z pak. (I still don't like the latter, but nevermind.)

Watch this repost before it disappears. Take notes. Let's not get into a political or religious discussion. Stick to the science.

https://www.youtube....h?v=euZQkdJzQ_o

Read before it disappears:

https://uslibertywir...ero-intubations

https://forward.com/...ne-trump-doctor

He says:

"My out-patient treatment regimen is as follows:

Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days

Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days

Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days"

Looks like there is an error in azithromycin dosage. It's 500 mg on the first day, followed by 250 mg next 4 days.

That's how French dosed it and that's how it's usually taken: loading dose, followed by maintenance doses (due to its long half life).

#517 DanCG

• 237 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:04 AM

DOH!  Just got my hesperidin in the post today.  This looked so good.  

https://www.scienced...211383520302999

"However, most of above compounds were not predicted to bind with the binding interface of the Spike–ACE2 complex. The only compound that could target the binding interface between Spike and ACE2 was hesperidin"

That diagram of the virus entering the cell is going to give me nightmares.  

Oh well, back to my zinc fetish.  Been buying more tonic water.  Got to make that zinc more effective!  Got Quinine?  

Hesperidin DOES look good. Read the whole paper.

Hesperidin showed several potential binding interactions: 3C-like main protease (3CLpro), Papain-like proteinase (Plpro),  Helicase (Nsp13) and Spike protein.

"For Spike protein, we found only one compound, natural hesperidin was targeting the binding between Spike RBD and human ACE2. However, not like the ACE2 binding compounds, non-interface binding compound may still meaningful applications, considering that the fusion of CoVs membrane with host cell membrane need the big conformational change of remained Spike part after RBD removal. Any small molecule bound to Spike at this time may interfere the re-folding of Spike therefore inhibits the viral infection process. Furthermore, small molecule that can target any part of Spike protein may be a good start point to design PROTAC based therapy.

The only compound that could target the binding interface between Spike and ACE2 was hesperidin, as shown i Fig.6A. Hesperidin was predicted to lie on the middle shallow pit of the surface of RBD of Spike, where the dihydroflavone part of the compound went parallel with the β-6 sheet of RBD. And the sugar part was inserted into the shallow pit in the direction away from ACE2, where a few hydrophobic amino acids, including Tyr436, Try440, Leu442, Phe443, Phe476, Try475, Try481 and Tyr49 form a relatively hydrophobic shallow pocket to contain the compound Fig. 6B). Hydrogen bonding was predicted between Tyr440 and the compound. By superimposing the ACE2–RBD complex to the hesperidin–RBD complex, a distinct overlap of hesperidin with the interface of ACE2 could be observed Fig. 6C), suggesting hesperidin may disrupt the interaction of ACE2 with RBD."

In other words, hesperidin does not bind to ACE2 at the place where ACE2 interacts Spike, but it does bind to Spike at the place where Spike binds to ACE2.  It is still predicted to disrupt the interaction. That, coupled with the other potential interactions, makes hesperidin look pretty good to me

Edited by DanCG, 28 March 2020 - 02:23 AM.

• WellResearched x 2
  • like x 1

#518 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:50 AM

Unfortunately, I have very little information, and have NO way to verify what they mean by Quinine, or get detailed information. We know this person, but are not close. If there is a change, or we get more information, I will post.

Early 70 year old male, I am quoting the also ederly spouse who has it, but is recovering at home.  "The Doctor called and no real change. Has a very high O2 requirement. They continue to prone him as he responds best to that position. He had the zpak and quinine drug a couple days ago plus one other experimental one. They will continue to do all they can for him. This is day 12 of medical coma,"

Edited by Heisok, 28 March 2020 - 02:54 AM.

#519 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:52 AM

He says:

"My out-patient treatment regimen is as follows:

Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days

Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days

Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days"

220mg Zinc Sulfate sounds high, but I believe it's 35.5% Zinc which is only 78mg Zinc. That's still pretty high. I actually take that much in the form of Zinc Glycinate and Zinc-L-Carnosine (PepZin GI). I'm surprised he would prescribe that high dose only once a day. I think it's better to take it in divided doses for better absorption, and I always take it with a meal or it will make me throw up. I take that much Zinc because I have had my serum Zinc and Copper tested many times, and Zinc has always been on the low side and copper on the high side. For that reason, I also avoid Copper. But, Chris Masterjohn is recommending 4-8mg copper for COVID-19, along with only 7-15mg Zinc for COVID-19. He has some interesting ideas that I'm not sure I agree with.

Edited by ta5, 28 March 2020 - 04:09 AM.

#520 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:42 AM

220mg Zinc Sulfate sounds high, but I believe it's 35.5% Zinc which is only 78mg Zinc. That's still pretty high. I actually take that much in the form of Zinc Glycinate and Zinc-L-Carnosine (PepZin GI). I'm surprised he would prescribe that high dose only once a day. I think it's better to take it in divided doses for better absorption, and I always take it with a meal or it will make me throw up. I take that much Zinc because I have had my serum Zinc and Copper tested many times, and Zinc has always been on the low side and copper on the high side. For that reason, I also avoid Copper. But, Chris Masterjohn is recommending 4-8mg copper for COVID-19, along with only 7-15mg Zinc for COVID-19. He has some interesting ideas that I'm not sure I agree with.

I watched his video and most of the advice he gives goes against what most studies show to be. 

The one thing I notice in the responses on his videos is that people ask him about certain information

in the studies and why they show the opposite of what he says to do, but he does not answer their

questions or explain why his theory is correct.  If you think your theory is correct then you should be willing

to debate it and be willing to answer questions that might challenge your theory.

Edited by lancebr, 28 March 2020 - 05:43 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#521 thompson92

• Registrant
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:52 AM

Chris Masterjohn is a super smart guy.  But he's a vitamins/minerals and energy metabolism expert, not a virologist or immunologist.  If you watch his video, he very clearly explains his consulting/health wellness business was down 50% and he basically shifted gears to start producing coronavirus content (and charging for it) because he basically needs the money.  I read what he says and I'm interested in his ideas and logic.  But I think everyone needs to handicap what he's saying, to some degree.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#522 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

Chris Masterjohn is a super smart guy.  But he's a vitamins/minerals and energy metabolism expert, not a virologist or immunologist.  If you watch his video, he very clearly explains his consulting/health wellness business was down 50% and he basically shifted gears to start producing coronavirus content (and charging for it) because he basically needs the money.  I read what he says and I'm interested in his ideas and logic.  But I think everyone needs to handicap what he's saying, to some degree.

Well he might be a smart guy when it come to nutrition/vitamins etc....but he doesn't seem to be very smart when

it comes to business practices.  I have seen where he has gotten some major blow-back from making money off

of a tragedy like Covid19.  So he might make some money off of his reports, but the more important thing is it will

tarnish his reputation in the future.  Most people don't like to see people profit from other peoples misery or death.

Edited by lancebr, 28 March 2020 - 08:39 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#523 thompson92

• Registrant
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:09 AM

Well he might be a smart guy when it come to nutrition/vitamins etc....but he doesn't seem to be very smart when

it comes to business practices.  I have seen where he has gotten some major blow-back from making money off

of a tragedy like Covid19.  So he might make some money off of his reports, but the more important thing is it will

tarnish his reputation in the future.  Most people don't like to see people profit from other peoples misery or death.

He doesn't see it that way.  He sees it as that he is providing a service that has a certain level of demand that comes and goes with different waves of interest like when the public is interested in resveratrol or interested in SARS-CoV2.  He is just responding to public demand and his business is being an expert on this material and providing it to people.  IMO, he should stay in his lane (vitamins/minerals/energy metabolism) and offer this material for free, because he (again) lacks some of the requisite background in virology/microbiology.

Here is Chris's comments in his most recent Coronavirus guide:

I considered adding quercetin and EGCG to the supplement protocol in the guide, but have decided against it.

Here's why.

Quercetin and EGCG have both been shown to have "zinc ionophore" activity in isolated cells. This means they help bring zinc across the cellular membrane, thereby moving it into the cell. Some people have misinterpreted this as meaning ionophores are necessary to get zinc into the cell. They aren't. They just increase the amount of zinc that comes into the cell beyond what the cell brings in through the transporters that are governed by the cell's need for zinc. In other words, they cause more zinc to enter the cell than the cell actually needs.

In theory, this could help kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus, the cause of COVID-19, the coronavirus we are all worried about. As discussed in the guide, zinc inhibits at least three enzymes the virus uses to replicate.

However, the concentrations of quercetin and EGCG used in this study are roughly 50-100 times higher than those reached by supplementing with either compound (see here and here).

Ok here is the study on Quercetin/EGCG as zinc ionophores.  The concentration was 100 uM and it was done with chloroquine for comparison purposes.  Someone double check my math here, because I'm not a chemist.

Molecular weight for EGCG:  458 g/mol
Molecular weight for Chloroquine:  515.9 g/mol

Mean level of a 400 mg EGCG dose in 8 healthy volunteers (Ullman 2003) is probably around 400 ng/mL for 3 hours.  Therefore 400 ng/mL = 400 ug/L.  Divide 400 ug/L by 458 g/mol = 0.873 uM (molarity).  So the 100 uM in solution in the quercetin/egcg ionophore paper is about 114.5x what you get in a 400 mg dose.

Mean level of 600 mg of chloroquine (Rainsford 2015) is probably around 87.5 ng/mL over 60 hours.  Therefore 87.5 ng/mL = 87.5 ug/L  Divide 87.5 ug/L by 515.9 g/mol = 0.169607 uM.  So the 100 uM in the solution for the quercetin/egcg ionophore paper (compared to chloroquine) is about 589.60x the concentration you would get in a 600 mg dose of chloroquine.

So how does he knock EGCG/Quercetin because the dosing was unrealistic compared to what actually occurs in human blood serum, but then ignore the issue with chloroquine.  And I understand that the pharmacokinetics are fairly complicated here and at a certain concentration level maybe chloroquine has a far stronger effect on zinc cytoplasmic ion concentration, than EGCG.  But the point is a basic level of mechanism of action, which the study shows the involvement of these 2 flavanoids for handling zinc -- and they do it in the context of increased IL-6, which is exactly the environment lung cells would be dealing with in the virus.  And yea it might not translate, but I'm trying to see the downside here of supplementing a little zinc with EGCG or Quercetin.  It seems to me to be fairly good risk reward. 

I'm not saying we're all gonna be saved by green tea, but what am I missing here?

On top of which, where does quercetin concentrate?  In the lungs:

BJL7ryu.png
Source:  Paulke, et al (2012) Isoquercitrin provides better bioavailability than quercetin: comparison of quercetin metabolites in body tissue and brain sections after six days administration of isoquercitrin and quercetin

I realize I'm jumping from EGCG to Quercetin, but principally the logic remains the same.  Quercetin appears to preferentially localize in lung tissue and has demonstrable zinc ionophore activity in a solution, even in the context of increased IL-6 levels.  I guess I'm probably generalizing too much here, and there are a million other variables in play here, but why NOT supplement quercetin/EGCG and zinc?

Edited by thompson92, 28 March 2020 - 09:25 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • like x 1

#524 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:14 AM

Zelenko's video was released a few days ago already. It would be nice to get an update, but I read he is under pressure to not talk about it anymore (from other mainstream practitioners).

Daniel Cooper is correct. Without knowing the demographic make-up and health conditions of his patients, 350 is not a large enough sample size. First of all, 4 out of 5 are going to be fine anyway. So that potentially knocks out 280 people that might not have really benefited from the treatment. Potentially knock another 30% out for the placebo effect. That brings the legit sample size down close to zero, certainly below statistical significance.

Still, I am enamored with the zinc discussion presented in this thread. There seems to be good reason to include it in the treatment.

Like I mentioned previously, based upon the Chinese hypokalemia study, I wonder if the protocol could be improved by the addition of potassium.

Hydroxycloroquine +Azithromycin + zinc + potassium. (all cheap with known minimal side effects).

I am unsure if hroxychloroquine will be all that effective by itself. It has been around for decades, and up until this point, I have never read of it being a guaranteed blockbuster anti-viral drug, just it showing "some" effectiveness in treating a handful of infectious diseases.

I don't think placebo is much of an issue. It's one thing to feel better. It's another thing to stay out of the hospital because you actually improve.

As to demographics, if you look at Italy, there's a really fat tail of hospitalizations below 60. (Half the cases, if I recall an interview with a doc on YouTube. Sorry I don't have it on hand at the moment. The reason people tend to think it's "only seniors" is because that's the result you get with (1) predominantly S as opposed to L clade and (2) solid medical system below capacity. Sorry, that was yesterday.) Yes, many recover, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about preventing hospitalization to begin with. 350 symptomatic individuals with zero hospitalizations is quite statistically significant. Dr. Zelenko operates in a conservative Jewish city in New York, which is probably affluent and therefore unlikely to be dominated by youth, and even less likely to have predominantly young and healthy COVID patients. It's worth recalling that an early epicenter was New Rochelle. If I'm not mistaken, it was a gathering of Jews, some of whom may have brought it back to his area of practice. The details are all on Google somewhere, but you're not going to get precise demographics, unfortunately.

Having said all that, it's becoming clear that HCQ is really tough to acquire right now. Maybe relocate to area where you can get it prescribed if you actually need it. That might take some research.

BioHacker=Life suggested these guys, in Tampa, based on a since-deleted Twitter link to something about their HCQ therapy. Sounds like someone smacked them, but perhaps they still have stock:

https://titanmedical...l-therapy-tampa

If Z pack and potassium are helpful in a specifically antiviral manner, then I'm not against them.

I do agree with the poster who said that zinc sulfate seems a poor choice due to poor solubility. I definitely wouldn't be pounding copper, especially not Cu(2+) forms of it. It's just asking for Alzheimer's.

HCQ isn't a blockbuster. But that may, in fact, be the case if combined with zinc. It also might be a total flop, but I'm compelled by the theoretical foundation which involves fundamental machinery necessary to viral infection and replication. It would take a massive evolutionary leap to escape the entire protocol.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 28 March 2020 - 09:34 AM.

• like x 1

#525 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:46 AM

Don't know if this clinical trial has been posted.  If not:

Vitamin C Infusion for the Treatment of Severe 2019-nCoV Infected Pneumonia

Vitamin C is going to inhibit kidney clearance. (Ravers pound it so they can get the most from their recreational drugs.)

Apart from Zelenko therapy, I'd put more money on:

* Diverse juice diet (comprehends the vitamin C angle but doesn't seem to impair clearance)

* Carbon 60 olive/MCT oil

* Hydrogen water

* Vitamin D

* Shiitake broth or powder (beta glucan)

* Maaaaybe glutathione

* For immuncompromised: Stem Kine or GCSF.

* For cytokine storms due to hyperactive immunity: Rapamune

• unsure x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#526 sciack

• 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

The normal recommended intake of potassium is  3,500 – 4,700 mg per day.  The average intake of potassium in the US is 1,755 mg/day.  Sodium and potassium intakes among US adults: NHANES 2003-2008

A banana generally has a bit over 400mg.  So I've essentially recommended one to two bananas a day.  If that level of potassium intake is dangerous then perhaps bananas should carry a warning label from the Surgeon General.

Exactly, I also know people eating 10-20 bananas a day and being in perfect health... If you introduce more potassium than needed you will just pee it out... not a concern for most people as you said only a few suffer from hyperkalemia which has more to do with a kidney disfunction than from diet potassium intake... I also tend to not retain much potassium for some reason and when it happens I start feeling not well, I just get some 750mg potassium pills (2-3 a day) and recover very quickly.

#527 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

Chairman of the Dutch Association of Intensive Care Unit on Dutch TV last night: ''80 % of the COVID-19 patients currently fighting for their lives in the ICUs here in The Netherlands are obese.''

https://www.telegraa...eft-overgewicht

Relationship between zinc and obesity.

Zinc has important effects on metabolism, and on the thermoregulation of obese individuals. The aim of our investigation was to evaluate the serum zinc levels in obese patients before and after severe hypocaloric diets and to evaluate its correlation with the body mass index (BMI). Patients followed a severe hypocaloric diet (737 Kcal) for 60 days. Serum Zn levels and BMI were evaluated. Zn levels in obese patients were significantly (p < 0.01) lower than in controls, whereas the BMI values were significantly greater. At the end a severe hypocaloric diet, serum Zn and BMI levels returned to normal values. Our data show a possible relationship of the serum Zn levels with the anabolic and catabolic mechanisms in obesity, although the exact metabolic role of this bio-element remains unclear.

''Zn levels in obese patients were significantly (p < 0.01) lower than in controls''

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/8409780

Obese people often have diabetes and or high blood pressure (hypertension).

Zinc deficiency induces hypertension.

Zn2+ deficiency (ZnD) is a common comorbidity of many chronic diseases. In these settings, ZnD exacerbates hypertension. Whether ZnD alone is sufficient to alter blood pressure (BP) is unknown. To explore the role of Zn2+ in BP regulation, adult mice were fed a Zn2+-adequate (ZnA) or a Zn2+-deficient (ZnD) diet. A subset of ZnD mice were either returned to the ZnA diet or treated with hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), a Na+-Cl- cotransporter (NCC) inhibitor. To reduce intracellular Zn2+ in vitro, mouse distal convoluted tubule cells were cultured in N,N,N',N'-tetrakis(2-pyridylmethyl)ethylenediamine (TPEN, a Zn2+ chelator)- or vehicle (DMSO)-containing medium. To replete intracellular Zn2+, TPEN-exposed cells were then cultured in Zn2+-supplemented medium. ZnD promoted a biphasic BP response, characterized by episodes of high BP. BP increases were accompanied by reduced renal Na+ excretion and NCC upregulation. These effects were reversed in Zn2+-replete mice. Likewise, HCTZ stimulated natriuresis and reversed BP increases. In vitro, Zn2+ depletion increased NCC expression. Furthermore, TPEN promoted NCC surface localization and Na+ uptake activity. Zn2+ repletion reversed TPEN effects on NCC. These data indicate that 1) Zn2+ contributes to BP regulation via modulation of renal Na+ transport, 2) renal NCC mediates ZnD-induced hypertension, and 3) NCC is a Zn2+-regulated transporter that is upregulated with ZnD. This study links dysregulated renal Na+ handling to ZnD-induced hypertension. Furthermore, NCC is identified as a novel mechanism by which Zn2+ regulates BP. Understanding the mechanisms of ZnD-induced BP dysregulation may have an important therapeutic impact on hypertension.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/30649891

Zinc metabolism disorders play an important role in the development of diabetes

https://medicalxpres...s-mellitus.html

https://www.scienced...307046?via=ihub

Zinc Supplementation Lowered Insulin Resistance

https://www.diabetes...esterol-507559/

https://onlinelibrar...1753-0407.12621

cytokine storm and the role of zinc:

Zinc may aid the expression of perforin

https://www.scienced...756464618303621

And thus prevent cytokine storm which may be caused by zinc deficiency

https://www.uab.edu/...-storm-syndrome

Edited by izan82, 28 March 2020 - 02:24 PM.

• WellResearched x 4
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#528 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:04 PM

Exactly, I also know people eating 10-20 bananas a day and being in perfect health... If you introduce more potassium than needed you will just pee it out... not a concern for most people as you said only a few suffer from hyperkalemia which has more to do with a kidney disfunction than from diet potassium intake... I also tend to not retain much potassium for some reason and when it happens I start feeling not well, I just get some 750mg potassium pills (2-3 a day) and recover very quickly.

I don't want to get too off topic, but I just have to say... please don't consume potassium tablets whole. If you really don't want to supplement the natural way (presumably because you're afraid of the sugar in fruits and veggies, which is understandable if you're ketoadapted), then dissolve the tablets first. Otherwise you're subjecting your digestive tract to spatially concentrated potassium 40, which probably isn't wise for longterm health.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 28 March 2020 - 02:05 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#529 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

Just wanted to see if there was some collective action we could take to force the ideas of this discussion into the mainstream. Please comment in this other thread. I don't see the media or politicians talking about cures very much.

• like x 1

#530 sciack

• 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

I don't want to get too off topic, but I just have to say... please don't consume potassium tablets whole. If you really don't want to supplement the natural way (presumably because you're afraid of the sugar in fruits and veggies, which is understandable if you're ketoadapted), then dissolve the tablets first. Otherwise you're subjecting your digestive tract to spatially concentrated potassium 40, which probably isn't wise for longterm health.

yes I know that thanks, dont worry

#531 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:44 PM

I drop 50mg of K with every meal.  Between the food, fluids, & churning of gastric digestion I reckon the tab will not be sitting in one spot on my stomach wall causing problems.  

I'll agree, it's probably unwise to drop a tab of K on an empty stomach with just a swallow of water.  Thanks for pointing out the potential danger.  

• like x 2

#532 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Just starting to dig into this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6357182/

Our results revealed that glycerophospholipids and fatty acids (FAs) were significantly elevated in the HCoV-229E-infected cells and the linoleic acid (LA) to arachidonic acid (AA) metabolism axis was markedly perturbed upon HCoV-229E infection. Interestingly, exogenous supplement of LA or AA in HCoV-229E-infected cells significantly suppressed HCoV-229E virus replication. Importantly, the inhibitory effect of LA and AA on virus replication was also conserved for the highly pathogenic Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). Taken together, our study demonstrated that host lipid metabolic remodeling was significantly associated with human-pathogenic coronavirus propagation. Our data further suggested that lipid metabolism regulation would be a common and druggable target for coronavirus infections.

• like x 3
  • WellResearched x 2

#533 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:22 PM

For those wondering about Dr. Zelenko's efforts, he posted a new video yesterday.

Bullet Points.

He has now treated 699 patients (not all tested, a combination of positive corona tests and identification via symptoms).

No intubations

No deaths.

4 hospitalizations because of pneumonia development (I am guessing these are older patients).

He says he has forwarded his data to the U.S. government and is confident that the President will see it.

Edited by Mind, 28 March 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#534 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

New follow-up study by the renowned  dr. Raoult.

Virus: COVID-19

N=80 (COVID-19) patients.

Treatment: Hydroxychloroquine & Azithromycin.

Results: 93% tested negative at day 8 AND at 97.5% had no virus in lungs after 5 days.

https://www.mediterr...VID-IHU-2-1.pdf

• like x 2
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#535 Robert Magnuson

• 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

Vitamin C expert, Dr. Thomas Levy, relies on a myriad of papers, his own decades of medical practice, and on that of other doctors who worked with high dose Vitamin C. He shows that there is no known virus that cannot be defeated with sufficient doses of Vitamin C taken frequently enough. Moreover, when taken orally in the form of liposomal encapsulation, the Vitamin C goes straight into body cells where it disables viruses at the cellular level at the acute stage. For seriously ill hospitalized patients, Dr. Thomas Levy recommends both injections of Vitamin C as well as liposomal and other forms in combo. 

He also points out that when Vitamin C is touted as ineffective, it is because not enough is dosed. Whereas, Vitamin C injections and liposomal C save lives that cannot be saved by low doses (just as too little antibiotic will not resolve an infection). Dietary amounts are not enough; medicinal doses are imperative.

See Dr. Thomas Levy's videos on YouTube.

Right now, our Vitamin C supplies are made in China, and this needs to be corrected.

Hospitals in China are saving lives with Vitamin C injections:

"Western Media Focusses On Big Pharma’s Search for a Coronavirus Vaccine While Suppressing Coverage of High Dose Intravenus Vitamin C to Save Lives in China"

A dramatic example of Vitamin C injections and Liposomal C rescuing an Australian man with whited out lungs who was about to be unplugged from life support and left to die:

Dr. Fouci is not familiar with the power of high dose Vitamin C:

YouTube: Dr. Fauci: You don't make the timeline, the virus does

One cannot choose experts too wisely. When it comes to Vitamin C, we must rely on the true Vitamin C experts.

Vitamin D3: Vitamin D experts point out that 5,000 to 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 should be taken per day (along with Vitamin K2 to prevent calcium absorption at the wrong places in the body). But if viral symptoms appear, they say that it is better to increase the dosage to about 50,000 IU of Vitamin D3 for a few days. This keeps the immune system from overreacting to viruses. Experts say that what gets people in trouble with infections is an overreaction by the immune system.

Zinc: Chloroquine works by getting zinc into body cells, given that zinc disables viral reproduction. Another way of getting zinc into cells is liposomal encapsulation. For example, a product called Zyta-C consists of Liposomal zinc and Liposomal Vitamin C. I do not know how much zinc is delivered with this over-the-counter health product compared to chloroquine, but liposomal zinc is a good adjunct to liposomal Vitamin C and Vitamin D3.

In his most recent video, Dr. Levy touches on coronavirus. He indicates that it typically starts in the sinuses. He recommends nebulizing Vitamin C in a cold nebulizer, but he also says that extremely weak hydrogen peroxide (3% in a water solution) can also do the trick. The key is that it must be too weak (3% or less in a water solution) to cause harm in the body. It should be at the level that the body itself makes hydrogen peroxide to destroy viruses, but directed to where the viruses start to manifest in the body, e.g. such as the sinuses.

All in all, there are ways to deal with viruses that do not demand vaccinations that may be harmful or come with restrictions -- and that come along too late to save lives and our economy.

The above was sent to the White House and others, but with no reply. Looks as though they need to be bombarded with info by many people. 

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#536 thompson92

• Registrant
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

Not sure if this has already been posted.  Probably would be better in an epidemiology of SARS-CoV2 risk factors, rather than this thread, but here goes:

https://www.preprint.../202003.0191/v1

Chen, Jiawei, Quanlong Jiang, Xian Xia, Kangping Liu, Zhengqing Yu, Wanyu Tao, Wenxuan Gong, and Jing-Dong Han. 2020. "Individual Variation Of The SARS-Cov2 Receptor ACE2 Gene Expression And Regulation". Preprints

ACE2 being only a receptor for the virus, instead, its expression level is high in Asian females and young people (Fig. 1 and Table 1), those who are known to be lesssusceptible, and even less inflicted by severe or fatal outcome, while it is low in males,
further decrease with age and T2D, those who are most susceptible to bad outcome (Fig. 1 and 3), suggesting at a population level a negative correlation between ACE2 expression and CovID19 severity and fatality.

Our results established a counter argument against the speculation that high ACE2 is a culprit in CoVID-19 outcome, and on the contrary supports a protective role of high ACE2 expression against SARS-CoV2 fatality (Fig. 3h). The exceptionally
elevated basal level of ACE2 in Asian females (Fig. 1) and the strong positive ACE2 eQTLs in East Asians (Table 1) suggest that it could be the Asian females are more protected against SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV2 severe symptoms rather than males being more susceptible

For SARS-CoV2, the decrease of ACE2 might be further exacerbated by the direct binding and consumption of ACE2 protein by the virus. Before the availability of an effective vaccine to prevent SARS-CoV2 infection, a major task is to understand the variations in severity and fatality of the infection in human populations, to which
ACE2 might be one of the contributors. Fortunately, the low ACE2 activity can be rescued by dampening its negatively regulated downstream targets such as angiotensin II or its receptors, such as by angiotensin II antagonist losartan

From Saab, et al. (2007):

OX6pflN.png

Source:  Saab, YB & Gard, Paul & Overall, Andrew. (2007). The geographic distribution of the ACE II genotype: A novel finding. Genetical research. 89. 259-67. 10.1017/S0016672307009019.

According to Saab's review of the literature, male carriers with the homozygous DD (deletion) rather than II (insertion) is associated with a 1.6x increased risk in arterial hypertension.  Polymorphism in the I/D is associated with other health outcomes.  I think this partly explains the higher death levels in Western Democracies vs. certain Asian populations that might be otherwise be attributed to some herb or something. 

If you look at the tables in Chen, which I have not exhaustively gone through, it seems like more evidence that increased ACE2 is preferred.

• Informative x 3

#537 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

Here is Chris's comments in his most recent Coronavirus guide:

Ok here is the study on Quercetin/EGCG as zinc ionophores.  The concentration was 100 uM and it was done with chloroquine for comparison purposes.  Someone double check my math here, because I'm not a chemist.

Molecular weight for EGCG:  458 g/mol
Molecular weight for Chloroquine:  515.9 g/mol

Mean level of a 400 mg EGCG dose in 8 healthy volunteers (Ullman 2003) is probably around 400 ng/mL for 3 hours.  Therefore 400 ng/mL = 400 ug/L.  Divide 400 ug/L by 458 g/mol = 0.873 uM (molarity).  So the 100 uM in solution in the quercetin/egcg ionophore paper is about 114.5x what you get in a 400 mg dose.

Mean level of 600 mg of chloroquine (Rainsford 2015) is probably around 87.5 ng/mL over 60 hours.  Therefore 87.5 ng/mL = 87.5 ug/L  Divide 87.5 ug/L by 515.9 g/mol = 0.169607 uM.  So the 100 uM in the solution for the quercetin/egcg ionophore paper (compared to chloroquine) is about 589.60x the concentration you would get in a 600 mg dose of chloroquine.

So how does he knock EGCG/Quercetin because the dosing was unrealistic compared to what actually occurs in human blood serum, but then ignore the issue with chloroquine.  And I understand that the pharmacokinetics are fairly complicated here and at a certain concentration level maybe chloroquine has a far stronger effect on zinc cytoplasmic ion concentration, than EGCG.  But the point is a basic level of mechanism of action, which the study shows the involvement of these 2 flavanoids for handling zinc -- and they do it in the context of increased IL-6, which is exactly the environment lung cells would be dealing with in the virus.  And yea it might not translate, but I'm trying to see the downside here of supplementing a little zinc with EGCG or Quercetin.  It seems to me to be fairly good risk reward. 

I'm not saying we're all gonna be saved by green tea, but what am I missing here?

Well from his statements here he sure doesn't seem to like hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine:

"As I reviewed the other day, a non-randomized French trial of hydroxychloroquine suggested the

drug virologically cured 15 out of 26 people, while it nauseated one, put three in ICU, and killed one.

Because it wasn't randomized, it isn't clear whether the cure or the worsening represent true effects

of the drug, but if we are to regard the cure as a real effect, we also have to regard the worsening

as a real effect, suggesting that if it works it might have a high risk profile."

"So, are hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine effective? I'd bet it at 50/50 odds, at best. Hyping them as

saviors is nuts."

To me it sounds as if he is insinuating that hxdroxyC could have led to the death of that one in the study

and led to putting the three into ICU.

But then he goes on to say:

"I also find it ironic that many people will beat the “trust the experts” drum endlessly, bashing anyone suggesting

nutrients or herbs could be relevant, yet vitamin D, elderberry, and garlic have all been shown to have antiviral

effects in humans, yet hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not. Why do these drugs get special status

just because the experts are using them with no evidence of their efficacy?"

I thought he was not recommending taking Vitamin D because it might up-regulate ACE2....even though more and

more information is showing that more ACE2 might be a good thing with this Covid19.

So are you taking quercetin or ECGC?

Edited by lancebr, 28 March 2020 - 09:18 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#538 thompson92

• Registrant
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:35 AM

But then he goes on to say:

"I also find it ironic that many people will beat the “trust the experts” drum endlessly, bashing anyone suggesting

nutrients or herbs could be relevant, yet vitamin D, elderberry, and garlic have all been shown to have antiviral

effects in humans, yet hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not. Why do these drugs get special status

just because the experts are using them with no evidence of their efficacy?"

I thought he was not recommending taking Vitamin D because it might up-regulate ACE2....even though more and

more information is showing that more ACE2 might be a good thing with this Covid19.

So are you taking quercetin or ECGC?

Good catch.  I missed that.  He's probably realized by now that he was wrong about ACE2.  I took my first pill of quercetin today.  I'm worried about taking too much and I don't know enough about the risks involved.  My goal is to take 400 mg of EGCG in the AM (upon wake) and the 200 mg of quercetin with a meal later in the day.

I'm just worried about doing too much because obviously we can all read these enticing computerized docking scores that talk about 50 different herbs that can interfere w/ the virus and it's all theoretical and the odds are there are overlapping pathways between them.  I'm trying to keep this simple.  I think Lactoferrin, Vitamin D, Zinc, Vitamin C and Potassium are the most important.

#539 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:07 AM

EGCg, Theaflavin?  

2005 SARS-CoV. https://www.ncbi.nlm...#__ffn_sectitle

SARS-CoV is the causative agent of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). The virally encoded 3C-like protease (3CLPro) has been presumed critical for the viral replication of SARS-CoV in infected host cells. In this study, we screened a natural product library consisting of 720 compounds for inhibitory activity against 3CLPro. Two compounds in the library were found to be inhibitive: tannic acid (IC50 = 3 µM) and 3-isotheaflavin-3-gallate (TF2B) (IC50 = 7 µM). These two compounds belong to a group of natural polyphenols found in tea. We further investigated the 3CLPro-inhibitory activity of extracts from several different types of teas, including green tea, oolong tea, Puer tea and black tea. Our results indicated that extracts from Puer and black tea were more potent than that from green or oolong teas in their inhibitory activities against 3CLPro. Several other known compositions in teas were also evaluated for their activities in inhibiting 3CLPro. We found that caffeine, (—)-epigallocatechin gallte (EGCg), epicatechin (EC), theophylline (TP), catechin ©, epicatechin gallate (ECg) and epigallocatechin (EGC) did not inhibit 3CLPro activity. Only theaflavin-3,3′-digallate (TF3) was found to be a 3CLPro inhibitor. This study has resulted in the identification of new compounds that are effective 3CLPro inhibitors.

I invite posters to evaluate the strength of this claim and its relevance to Covid-19.  

#540 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:44 AM

Sleep deprived nearly 3X more susceptible on exposure to common cold.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2629403/

Sleep habits and susceptibility to the common cold

There was a graded association with average sleep duration, with those with <7 hours sleep 2.94 times (CI[95%]=1.18–7.30) more likely to develop a cold than those with ≥ 8 hours. The association with sleep efficiency was also graded with those with < 92% efficiency 5.50 times (CI[95%]=2.08–14.48) more likely to develop a cold than those with efficiencies ≥98%.

Conclusions

Poorer sleep efficiency and shorter sleep duration in the weeks preceding an exposure to a rhinovirus were associated with lower resistance to illness.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users