• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Osteoporosis after Cancer Treatment: Radiation and Chemotherapy. This is for my mom.

osteoporosis cancer cervical calcium vitamin d radiation chemotherapy brachytherapy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
⌛⇒ new years donation: support LE labs

#1 Cappa

• 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

My mom was diagnosed with osteoporosis after her cancer treatment for cervical cancer.

Her cancer treatment included:

• external beam radiation (with low dose chemotherapy, i.e. "chemoradiation")
  • brachytherapy
  • chemotherapy (full dose)

Her bone density test was only done after the cancer treatment (not before) so we can't say for certain that her osteoporosis was caused by the cancer treatment.

It seems likely that the cancer treatment was at least a contributing factor of the osteoporosis, if not its primary cause.

My mom is currently taking:

• Fosamax 70 mg / weekly (Saturday morning)
  • Jamieson 100% Complete Women 50+ / daily (morning)
    • Contains:
  • Maximum Calcium (Calcium Carbonate, Citrate, Fumarate, Malate, Succinate) 325 mg / daily (morning)
  • Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 2,000 IU / daily (morning)
  • Zoloft 100 mg / daily (morning)
  • Ativan 0.5 mg (as needed)

What is the ideal form of calcium? My mom has told me to research this "AlgaeCal" product. Is it more bioavailable as compared to other forms of calcium? https://www.algaecal.com/

Does calcium derived from non-food sources clog the arteries?

She has only done a bone density test. Should other tests be done?

Thanks for any advice and information.

Edited by Cappa, 17 February 2020 - 10:33 PM.

#2 Cappa

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

I posted this here because I remember from years ago that many of you are knowledgable when it comes to supplementaiton (and health in general). My go to sources use to be this forum and Mind and Muscle, but the latter seems to be gone now? In any case, any information or advice is much appreciated.

I read my original post again and noticed that it's possible that it could be mistaken to be spam or something like that. I can assure you that's not the case. As you can see, I have 66 posts and I've been a member of this forum since May 22, 2009.

As far as the calcium supplement that I referenced in my original post, consumer labs warned that higher than normal levels of lead have been detected in this product: https://www.consumer...ments/AlgaeCal/. And all the testimonials appear to be sourced from the company that makes it. So I'm not sure, although it's not looking good.

Is a food source of calcium superior to a non-food source? Or does that not matter? Is there any research on this?

Edited by Cappa, 28 February 2020 - 04:04 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: osteoporosis, cancer, cervical, calcium, vitamin d, radiation, chemotherapy, brachytherapy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users