• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

A LOT of drugs - any possible interactions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 simfish

• 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

I just bought A LOT of drugs, and am wondering any possible interactions. Also, I'm 100 pounds and under 18 years old (but not by much).

Anyways, what i'm currently taking:

bupropion
l-tyrosine
ginseng

What I just got:

Huperzine (Nature's Plus brand, no testing on it done though, so I'm worried about lead contamination)
Milk Thistle (for the liver to process all of this!)
Lemon balm
Ginkgo
Alpha GPC
Lion's mane mushrooms
Vinpocetine + gotu kola + bacopa + soy phospholipid complex
DMAE

What I'm going to get sometime...

Piracetam or Aniracetam

What I take as needed:

Adrafinil
Modafinil

Also, I'm vegan. And I kind of do calorie restriction.

What I'm particularly concerned about are anything that dilate the brain blood vessels - muliple drugs of that nature might cause hemorrhage. Gingko in particular.

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

get a medical opinion from a licensed physician

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:35 AM

I would cut the DMAE, huprezine, tyrosine, the GPC, and dont get the racetams. This doesnt mean i necissarily recomend the other supplements, but at least cut those.
Bupropion is pretty powerful stuff and i would not mix alot of stimulating things with it especially a racetam. I would also wait until you got older until you messed around with heavy supps. I dont know your medical situation, but your physician aparently prescribed you the bupropoin so tell him the other things your taking.

If you insist on taking supplements i would suggest very safe herbs such as reishi, rhodiola, ashwagandha, green tea, milk thistle, the lions mane is safe, and the ginseng and ginko you're taking look to be pretty safe. Also add some high quality fish oil and that can solve alot of problems. Again i dont know your medical situation so TALK TO YOU PHYSICIAN FIRST

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:44 AM

youre way too young for huperzine

#5 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:27 AM

Bupropion and Adrafinil / Modafinil shouldn't be taken together...

#6 simfish

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

Bupropion and Adrafinil / Modafinil shouldn't be taken together...

Umm, I know a lot of people who take both of them with no adverse effects. Also, I only take adrafinil/modafinil when I want to deliberately induce insomnia (e.g. pulling long study binges).

And, I don't really notice any effects from the bupropion yet. It's bugging me...

Also, my physician doesn''t even know what Asperger's Syndrome is... =/

I would cut the DMAE, huprezine, tyrosine, the GPC, and dont get the racetams.

Why though? Are there any negative effects of them? It appears that most of what I take is not very toxic at all (The DMAE however, yes, I do have some reservations about that, as studies show mixed effects of them). Also, I've just taken them all together - foound no interactions (then again, it was only one time). And huperzine - what's so bad about that? I know it's a drug in which relatively few studies have been done on. And the racetams - why not take those? BTW, I have untreated ADD. That is my situation.

As I said, I'm vegan - so fish oil is not an option. I'm buying flax oil though.

#7 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

Why are you taking all that stuff?

18 YO vegan/CR???

If you ain't taking protein powder or being extra careful to get sufficient protein at your age your priorities are sooooo not in order.

#8 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

Go to a doctor, get a checkup and speak with him about your eating habits/lifestyle.

#9 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Why though? Are there any negative effects of them? It appears that most of what I take is not very toxic at all (The DMAE however, yes, I do have some reservations about that, as studies show mixed effects of them). Also, I've just taken them all together - foound no interactions (then again, it was only one time). And huperzine - what's so bad about that? I know it's a drug in which relatively few studies have been done on. And the racetams - why not take those? BTW, I have untreated ADD. That is my situation.

As I said, I'm vegan - so fish oil is not an option. I'm buying flax oil though.

The reason being is because you're taking bupropion which is a very powerful antidepressant that does alot of things in your head. Also, you said you were just turning 18 and there have been no studies showing how safe it is to take "nootropics" while your brain is developing at that age. Most problems really arise (if internaly there) or go away at 20-24. The GPC Choline MAY be alright, but the racetams do alot of stuff we dont know about. Huperizine has definantly had some complications reported with it, and if you're taking bupropion and huprezine thats a flood of DA (dopamine) and ACHe (acetylcholine) into you're synapse which could cause a horrible reaction. I can personally tell you ive taken bupropion with other cholinerginic drugs and i felt like jumping out of a window. And you're still young man (im not really that old myself at all) but the span from 18-21 involves alot of changes in the brain and i would be extremely careful in this experimenting. I would seriously stick to safer herbs that have been used for thousands of years and have been studied pretty extensivly to achieve the same effect.

#10 simfish

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

Most doctors are quite conservative (AND IM NOT TALKING POLITICALLY) and aren't experienced with talking about vegetarianism. Hell, most of them don't know of drugs such as huperzine, since it's so new. Mine didn't even know what Asperger's Syndrome was. Also, it's EASY to get enough protein by being vegetarian - if at all necessary, I can just use powder.

==

Hmm, yes - we don't know about nootropics while my brain is developing - that's a good suggestion - so I don't know of the risks, although IQ usually stabilizes after age 16. What are huperzine's complications though? Seizure is one - but if that happens, I just reduce dosage, that's all.

As for "dopamine flood" - I'm not noticing it right now. People do notice it when they have a flood of dopamine - it feels like you're on amphetamines. And that's the point in which you do know that you're taking too much - but right now, I'm still far from feeling like I'm on something amphetamine-like.

Does it feel different when you're having an acetylcholine flood?

Yeah, and I STILL haven't felt any difference from the bupropion...

Edited by simfish, 12 June 2006 - 01:36 AM.

#11 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

Investigate a quality multivitamin (I take Ortho-Core, so do many others), and as a vegan, you might be in need of creatine, carnosine, choline, cystine, taurine, ALCAR might help... check out anti-oxidants as well, even thought being vegan, you probably get enough if you eat enough good vegetables. As a well-known fact on the board, most doctors it seems are not very well schooled in nutrition. Some are, some are kind enough to drop in here, but it's up to you to research what is best for you (and to ask imminst, of course ;) ) Personally, I see no reason to observe caloric restriction beyond any normal common sense at your age.

Flax oil is pretty swell, ajnast4r can sing you it's praises. As a vegetarian (no eggs or milk), I have been struggling with the idea of taking fish oil for several years. I recently started taking Ascenta Nutrasea (the first animal product I have eaten in 11 years) and have not felt any real beneficial effects as of yet. Of course, it hasn't been that long and I don't expect all the effects to be noticable. Just some info to chew on. Depends why you are vegan also...at 18, the first thing that comes to mind is maybe you're sXe?

Huperzine = not good for a young person. There are some other conversations on the board about it, you may want to look that up.

#12 simfish

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:00 AM

My mother is skeptical of the supplements, unless there is CREDIBLE research to back them up. So in other words, something like piracetam would be OK, since Lancet has catalogued research on it that shows that it's beneficial, but the herbal supplements have little scientific evidence, and she's skeptical of those.

No, I'm not sXe, if I had access to amphetamines, I would occasionally take them. I've also procured a month's supply of modafinil, but I only use it for emergency all-nighters. I would also go for other stimulants. I have a lot of ADD symptoms, so stimulants would be of most benefit for me.

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

Inovative doctors.
Just cut most of this chemical crap and see a good doctor!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

You may like a reduced methionine diet.

This might amuse you: When neurotypicals read that you weigh that little n are taking performance enhancing drugs they feel concern or even fright. I respect your idea though. This area of research is fortunate to have a person with a greater than neurotypical motivation thinking n writing about it.
Curiously, if you write to me you may find that an area of importance to my life, that Federal authorities monitor my communications, may arise. I would urge you simply to omit communicating with me if you find a request to modify or compromises your response.

Now back to my urge to communicate concern:

a Methionine restricted diet adds 4/10th or more to mammal lifespan. Similar to Calorie Restriction
but with all the yummy treats one could ask. Methionine restriction diet deserves greater research.

If you like you may read a hint that is is possible to weigh more and still have immortality as a purposive area.

imminst.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=44&t=11335&hl=&s=]http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?act...&t=11335&hl=&s=

Edited by treonsverdery, 02 November 2006 - 05:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users