Carotenoid supps reduce DNA damage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:35 AM

May not extend lives, but I prefer my DNA undamaged

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 83, No. 1, 163-169, January 2006

Modification of lymphocyte DNA damage by carotenoid supplementation in postmenopausal women1,2,3,4
Xianfeng Zhao, Giancarlo Aldini, Elizabeth J Johnson, Helen Rasmussen, Klaus Kraemer, Herb Woolf, Nina Musaeus, Norman I Krinsky, Robert M Russell and Kyung-Jin Yeum

1 From the Jean Mayer USDA-Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (XZ, EJJ, HR, NIK, RMR, and K-JY) and the Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine (NIK), Tufts University, Boston, MA; the Istituto Chimico Farmaceutico Tossicologico, University of Milan, Milan, Italy (GA); BASF AG, Ludwigshafen, Germany (KK); BASF Corp, Florham Park, NJ (HW); and BASF Health and Nutrition A-S, Ballerup, Denmark (NM)

Background: Oxidative stress has been implicated in the pathogenesis of chronic diseases related to aging such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. Carotenoids could be a part of a protective strategy to minimize oxidative damage in vulnerable populations, such as the elderly.

Objective: Our aim was to determine the protective effect of carotenoids against DNA damage.

Design: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention study was conducted. Thirty-seven healthy, nonsmoking postmenopausal women aged 50–70 y were randomly assigned to 1 of 5 groups and were instructed to consume a daily dose of mixed carotenoids (ß-carotene, lutein, and lycopene; 4 mg each), 12 mg of a single carotenoid (ß-carotene, lutein, or lycopene), or placebo for 56 d. Plasma carotenoid concentrations were analyzed by using HPLC, and lymphocyte DNA damage was measured by using a single-cell gel electrophoresis (comet) assay.

Results: At day 57, all carotenoid-supplemented groups showed significantly lower endogenous DNA damage than at baseline (P < 0.01), whereas the placebo group did not show any significant change. Significantly less (P < 0.05) endogenous DNA damage was found as early as day 15 in the mixed carotenoid (P < 0.01) and ß-carotene (P < 0.05) groups.

Conclusions: The results indicate that carotenoid supplementation decreases DNA damage and that a combination of carotenoids (4 mg each of lutein, ß-carotene, and lycopene), an intake that can be achieved by diet, or a larger dose (12 mg) of individual carotenoids exerts protection against DNA damage.

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

nice! i <3 caromix/min..

and lol @ "I prefer my DNA undamaged"

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

I get the carotenoids contained in OrthoCore, and I get an additional dose of lutein and zeaxanthin from Jarrow's FamilE. I also try to eat lots of cooked tomatoes and spinach.

As Michael Rae said, even the SAD-eating person gets a dose of lycopene with their McGreaseburger.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

I'm going to replace my b-c with NOW veggie carotenoids which has an excellent profile:
http://www.nowfoods....il&item_id=3130

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users