* * * * * 2 votes

Zoolanders supplement regime

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#61 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm turning 36 this sunday and when people guess my age they usually say 26 or 27. It's freaks me out a little and they insist on seeing my license because they don't believe me. I should edit my regime because I'm not taking NAC any more.

These days I take melatonin just before I brush my teeth at night and then it's bedtime.

I think I need to edit some details

#62 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

Congrats on that birthday and the looking younger thing. Hope it stays that way.

After 21 I continue to forget and have to be reminded by others - you bday is coming up soon. It just does not seem to have any importance anymore.

(not trying to hijack thread, just adding to it..)
When i was a mere 13, I looked old enough to buy whiskey and often did. As I aged, I always tended to look just old enough to benefit me in my dealings. Oddly enough, it was at then end my 30's that I began to look in my mid 30s. That is, now at 43, people tend to think I'm mid 30s. This actually works out for me, when I was young, looking older was a good thing in so many ways. When you hit forty, it's a blessing to look younger than that, moreso for what it gets you rather than what it makes you feel like.

My history: smoked two packs of cigs (marlboro) since I was 13 - quit 1.2 years ago (that's 30 years if anyone is counting) (cold turkey, after a but load of phenibut.) All day in the sun, all the time when I was young - until mid 20s. Still, until about 10 yeas ago on the weekends I would take to the lake and be just about naked and in the sun all day long. Or go for a motorcycle ride, all day.

I believe smoking caused a shift in taste. When i quite smoking I tend to enjoy otherfoods. When I smoked, I could barely stand to eat anything that wasn't listed below.

My diet consisted mainly of Pizza, Doritos, pepsi, beer and lots of THC for the majority of that time. Virtually no veggies (couldn't stand them) the rare fruit and occasionally a proper mutltivitamin. And about 10 or so years ago, the mostly (until 2 years ago) regular administration of Arginine and it's co-factors at night.

Do you attribute your younger looking to your diet, exercise protocol, genetics or perhaps being lucky?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#63 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

A very strict diet for most of my life. I only started eating salmon and the odd bit of red meat recently after being vegetarian for 17 years. I've been exercising since I was 16 or 17 years old, so for about the last 20 years. Unfortunately I have been very busy in the last 2 years and training is an on and off. I still exercise though it is just not consistent.

Genetics is bound to be contributing at some level be it in a negative fashion or in a positive fashion.

I think the impoprtant contributor though to the way I come accross to people is my poor understanding of the past/future. This is delibrate. I live in the moment. I have a timeless mind (sorry to sound all Deepak Chopra) and youthful spirit.

#64 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

Not acknowledging time, a man-made invention, and living in the moment is a superb frame of mind to stay in--the best I'd say. Worry about aging, and you shall. When I see old people, I don't fear getting old like them--I think to myself; if only they knew what I know. Mind is a powerful thing to waste IMO. :)

#65 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:44 AM

I think, if it's possible, I've always lived in the minute. I recall reading the book entitled "bitch, in defense of the difficult woman," wherein, the author claims that men live in the present naturally and it's women that always have to do the planning. She was meaning evolution made our minds operate that way and it was one of the major problems between men and women communicating and dealing as partners. I dunno, but I've never really worred too much. People get upset at you when you have that mindset, particularly in corp environments.

So, Zoo, are you going to update this regime of yours and detail it for us all? Thanks.
and..I forgot, I just had a bday in august which means I'm 44 and also, I grew up on the east coast and as child through my 20's ate quite a lot of bay blue crab, blue and rock fish, and a whole host of other seafood regularly.

#66 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:56 AM

i just lol'd at the 'for kids who cant read good'... i

#67 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

Ok I have changed the details of my stats and supplement regime

Of course I am a year older. In the last year I have put on about 10lbs but am still very lean (BF 8-10%) this is good news as most of the increase in weight is most likely from lean mass.

My BP and HR are also the same. I did try a little experiment over the last week with a stash of ephedrine I found in the lab. My systolic went from 100/105 to abou 115-120. It also paradoxically caused shallow breathing for me. hence I'm stopping it and will only use very rearely when I have to work a double shift or nightshift. I was using a weighed out dose of 25mg stacked with caffeine.

whole food supplelemts
I added to 'whole food' supplements to my regime. I added a serving of Berry High (Jarrow) to my morning (on waking) mix. I take this with 250mL grapefruit juice. I haven't chosen grapefruit juice for any reason apart from the fact that I like the bitterness.

I also added a serve of Green Defense (Jarrow) to my morning shake. The morning shake contains 200-250mL organic soymilk (made with Barley and Kombu), 50-100mL mixed breaky juice, 1 x scoop True Protein customized mix (see below), 50-60g frozen blueberries. Suprisingly the taste of this shake (with the green powder) is not that bad.

NAC
in storage for now

Chocomind (Jarrow)
Man I love this stuff. I take a double dose in the morning. I'm responding really well to it.

Deprenyl (Liquid selegiline citrate)
I decided to add this back into my stack. When it arrives in the next week or so I will be taking 1 drop (1mL) per day. I use to take the liquid citrate about a year ago. This is another supp/med I respond extremely well to.

True Protein Customized Mix
I ran accross a paper a few weeks back that used a mix called MuscleFuel. Some of you may remember the discussion I started about it. Somewhere in that discussion a member mentioned that rather than combining a few different supps that I should just create a customized protein over at True Protein. So I did. It's a really awesome site. You choose the protein type and add extras. You basically build the mix from the ground up.

here's what I chose
True Protein Customized Mix (1x 30g scoop) containing:
10% Creatine monohydrate (3g)
10% Glutamine (3g)
10% Taurine (3g)
40% Cold-filtered whey protein isolate (undenatured) (12g)
30% Micellar Casein (9g)

I chose the micellar protein because....

Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Nov;84(5):1070-9.

Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement.

Lacroix M, Bos C, Léonil J, Airinei G, Luengo C, Daré S, Benamouzig R, Fouillet H, Fauquant J, Tomé D, Gaudichon C.

UMR INRA 914, Physiology of Nutrition and Feeding Control Unit, Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon, Paris, France.

BACKGROUND: The in vivo quality of milk protein fractions has seldom been studied in humans. OBJECTIVE: Our objective was to compare the postprandial utilization of dietary nitrogen from 3 [(15)N]-labeled milk products: micellar caseins (MC), milk soluble protein isolate (MSPI), and total milk protein (TMP). DESIGN: The macronutrient intakes of 23 healthy volunteers were standardized for 1 wk, after which time the subjects ingested a meal containing MC (n = 8), MSPI (n = 7), or TMP (n = 8). [(15)N] was measured for an 8-h period in plasma amino acids, proteins, and urea and in urinary urea. RESULTS: The transfer of dietary nitrogen to urea occurred earlier after MSPI ingestion than after MC and TMP ingestion, and concentrations remained high for 8 h, concomitantly with higher but transient hyperaminoacidemia and a higher incorporation of dietary nitrogen into plasma amino acids. In contrast, deamination, postprandial hyperaminoacidemia, and the incorporation of dietary nitrogen into plasma amino acids were lower in the MC and TMP groups. Finally, total postprandial deamination values were 18.5 +/- 2.9%, 21.1 +/- 2.8%, and 28.2 +/- 2.9% of ingested nitrogen in the TMP, MC, and MSPI groups, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: Our results confirm the major role of kinetics in dietary nitrogen postprandial utilization and highlight the paradox of MSPI, which, despite its high Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, ensures a rate of amino acid delivery that is too rapid to sustain the anabolic requirement during the postprandial period. Milk proteins had the best nutritional quality, which suggested a synergistic effect between soluble proteins and caseins.

PMID: 17093159 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In short the above study argues that

slowly digested protein induced better postprandial utilization of dietary nitrogen than did a rapidly digested protein, despite the high chemical score of Milk Soluble Protein Isolate (MSPI).

I use protein for general nutrition so Micellar was definiately what I was looking. It's still undenatured so I'll be getting the cysteine. The percentage of cysteine in the micellar is a lot lower than a whey protein isolate because it's more of a whole protein compared to an isolate. I still included the whey protein isolate (Cold filtered) to get the cysteine. This is important considering I have dropped NAC for the time being.

On top of the proteins in the mix I threw some other stuff in. I threw in 3g each of creatine, glutamine and taurine.

I highly recommend giving True Protein a try. It's a little tricky at the start working out how to put a protein together. If you have any problems let me know and a I will help you put something together.

I dropped a few things
this is for financial reasons. I dropped indole-3-carbinol and a few other things. I can always re-introduce these into the regime. I also tried curcumin (1500mg/day) for 2 months but have dropped this for the time being.

That's about it I think.

#68 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

isnt chocomind basically just caffine tablets?

#69 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

No

Posted Image

other ingredients:
Ginger, theobromine, caffeine, natural vanilla, cinnamon, allspice (Pimenta dioica), cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), and silicon dioxide. Capsule consists of gelatin.

#70 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

I've always known that Casein is a good "long-term" protein (particularly to go to bed with for that sustained nitrogen-release), but with all the things that I have been hearing about milk and dairy (see the milk thread on supp forum), I'm pretty much throwing dairy out of my diet.

#71 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

True protein appears to be a good find. I've used a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, if not more in smoothies which contain whey. I considered that the oil would slow down digestion as we know there are two methods to slow digestion in terms of foods:fiber and oil.

#72 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:15 AM

No

Posted Image

other ingredients:
Ginger, theobromine, caffeine, natural vanilla, cinnamon, allspice (Pimenta dioica), cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), and silicon dioxide. Capsule consists of gelatin.

sorry, what i meant was, arnt the effects pretty much the same as what you would get with caffeine tablets?

#73 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

Whoa, id seriously be cautious with even 1mg of deprenyl. I mean your the expert here, but chocomine, rhodiola, and a bunch of other things you take bring about theoretical MAO inhibition. You don't want any hypertensive crisis going on. Be safe (you know this)

#74 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:37 AM

sorry, what i meant was, arnt the effects pretty much the same as what you would get with caffeine tablets?

It is similar but much better:
The theobroma seems to have a smoother effect than straight caffeine, the ginger inhibits COX-2, and cinnamon can help with insulin sensitivity as well.

#75 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:04 AM

Kottke, thanks for your concern. You are right in saying that I'm fairly cautious. In these situations I take my blood pressure and heart rate. I do this mainly with the more "riske" items in my regime.

Here's how I do it:

Step 1:
I take measurements over the course of the day and then compare it to my normal baseline. I take measurements on waking and then take a measurement immediately after, @ 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2hours, 4 hours and finally at 8 hours. I take 3 measures at each point and average that out.

Step 2:
Repeat measures from step 1 on 3 days during the week.

Step 3:
I repeat Step 2 at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd month. After the 3rd month I take a break for
anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

On top of the above test I have blood biochemistry taken after about 1 month of use.

Saftey is the key especially when using combinations of supps/pharms that have cross over effects that (could) have an additive effects.

Another thing that I do with my routine is to only take supps/pharms 5 days a week and have 2 days off. I take about 2 weeks off every 3 months

#76 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:21 AM

In hindsight I am going start off with 1mg 3x/week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for the first 3 months.

#77 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

I have created a morning protein and a night time protein. The night time protein is a slow release Micellar.

I have added to the front of this thread but here is how is looks

Morning Mix: taken with my morning shake
40% Whey Protein Isolate Cold Filtered
30% Micellar Casein
10% Creatine (3g)
10% Glutamine (3g)
5% Arginine (1.5g)
5% Taurine (1.5g)

My morning shake contains:
250mL organic soymilk
100-150ml water (or juice)
50-60g Frozen Blueberries
1 scoop Jarrow Berry High
5-10g organic 100% raw cocoa powder
2 tablespoons seed mix containing flax, sunflower kernals, pepitas, sesame seed (Ratio 2:1:1:1)

Night Time Mix: taken with my night shake
80% Complete Milk Dairy Isolate (80% MC + 20% WPI)
10% Glutamine (3g)
5% Arginine (1.5g)
5% Taurine (1.5g)

My night shake contains:
250mL organic soymilk
1 medium-large banana
1 scoop Jarrow Green Defense
2 tablespoons seed mix containing flax, sunflower kernals, pepitas, sesame seed (Ratio 2:1:1:1)

#78 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

I see you are using organic soy milk. There is some wonderful soy milk at the store with fiber added for the same price as the organic stuff. Can't get too much fiber imo.

How does the chocolate and and blue berry taste together? I mix my cocoa powder with water every day, and I won't lie, its a small effort to drink.

#79 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

Kottke, thanks for your concern. You are right in saying that I'm fairly cautious. In these situations I take my blood pressure and heart rate. I do this mainly with the more "riske" items in my regime.

Here's how I do it:

Step 1:
I take measurements over the course of the day and then compare it to my normal baseline. I take measurements on waking and then take a measurement immediately after, @ 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2hours, 4 hours and finally at 8 hours. I take 3 measures at each point and average that out.

Step 2:
Repeat measures from step 1 on 3 days during the week.

Step 3:
I repeat Step 2 at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd month. After the 3rd month I take a break for
anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

On top of the above test I have blood biochemistry taken after about 1 month of use.

Saftey is the key especially when using combinations of supps/pharms that have cross over effects that (could) have an additive effects.

Another thing that I do with my routine is to only take supps/pharms 5 days a week and have 2 days off. I take about 2 weeks off every 3 months

Well, if you can take deprenyl consistently without any measurable problems (excluding FMRI, PET and EEG scanning) with all the stuff you take, then we may soon see that it is truly a safe and effective life enhancer and its MAOI properties being of little contradictive concern. This would be nice to add to the anectdotal and studied showings of little or no serious side effects from the drug.

#80 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

The following is my personal supplement regime.

Details:  I'm Male, 36 years old, 5'11" and weight 160lbs (~8-10% body fat).
             Average BP: 105/65  HR: 45-50 bpm

I cycle all of my supplements. I take them 5 days on 2 days off. Then I have a 7 days break every 3 months.

My Personal Supplement Regime: September, 2007 Total cost per month ~AU$??? (???) + delivery

As soon as I wake: 60 minutes before breakfast
Chocomind (Jarrow) 2 caps
Rhodiola Rosea 250mg
Vitamin C 2000mg Sustained release (NOW Foods)
Ginkgo Biloba 150mg
Bacopa Monniera 450mg
DMAE (Source Naturals) 130 mg
D,L-Phenylalanine 1000mg
EGCG Green Tea Extract (NOW Foods) 400mg
Blueberry Extract Capsules with Pomegranate (LEF) x 1
Vinpocetine (Source Naturals) 10mg

Meditation 10-15 minutes

With Breakfast:
Deprenyl (liquid selegiline citrate) 1 drop = 1mg
Probiotic Life Flora, 5 Billion Cells (Source Naturals) x 1
Multivitamin (ADAM SUPERIOR NOW Foods) 1 tablet
Resveratrol (Nature's Way) 150mg
Red wine extract (Nature's way) 200mg
Red wine Powder (Nature's way) 200mg
Grape Seed extract (Nature's way) 100mg
Norwegian Salmon Oil (Carlson), 1000 mg
Methyl B-12 lozengers (Jarrow formulas) 1000mcg
Vitamin D3 (Healthy Origins) 2,400 IU
Benfotiamine (Benfotiamine Inc.) 150mg
Aged Garlic (Kyolic immune formula 103) 220mg
Astaxanthin (NOW Foods) 4mg
Galantamine 4mg

Morning protein Mix: taken with my morning shake
40% Whey Protein Isolate Cold Filtered
30% Micellar Casein
10% Creatine (3g)
10% Glutamine (3g)
5% Arginine (1.5g)
5% Taurine (1.5g)

My morning protein shake contains:
250mL organic soymilk
50-60g Frozen Blueberries
1 scoop Jarrow Berry High
5-10g organic 100% raw cocoa powder

Silicon (as Stabilized Orthosilicic Acid) 6-10mg (Jarrow Formulas, Biosil Liquid)

Mid afternoon 60 minutes before meal:
Rhodiola Rosea 250mg
Vitamin C 2000mg Sustained release (NOW Foods)
Ginkgo Biloba 150mg
Bacopa Monniera 450mg
EGCG Green Tea Extract (NOW Foods) 400mg

With afternoon meal of dinner (usually around 4 or 5 pm):
Multivitamin (ADAM SUPERIOR NOW Foods) 1 tablet
Resveratrol (Nature's Way) 150mg
Red wine extract (Nature's way) 200mg
Red wine Powder (Nature's way) 200mg
Grape Seed extract (Nature's way) 100mg
Norwegian Salmon Oil (Carlson), 1000 mg
Benfotiamine (Benfotiamine Inc.) 150mg
Aged Garlic (Kyolic immune formula 103) 220mg
Vinpocetine (Source Naturals) 10 mg

Night Time Protein Mix: taken with my night shake
80% Complete Milk Dairy Isolate (80% Michellar Casein + 20% Whey Protein Isolate CF)
10% Glutamine (3g)
5% Arginine (1.5g)
5% Taurine (1.5g)

My night shake contains:
250mL organic soymilk
1 medium-large banana
1 scoop Jarrow Green Defense

1 hour before or just as I'm jumping into bed
Ashwaghanda 225-450mg from Sensoril™ (Withania somnifera) (8% Withanolides)
Melatonin formula (Natural Sleep, LEF)
containing:
Melatonin (immediate release) 2.5 mg
Melatonin (timed release) 2.5 mg
plus
Vitamin C (as niacinamide ascorbate) 220 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide ascorbate) 73.5 mg
Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin) 100 mcg
Calcium (as calcium citrate) 48 mg
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 120 mg
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 50 mcg
Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate 10 mg
Inositol 100 mg

Meditation 10-15 minutes

jsut from skimming over:No ALCAR/ALA, too little fish oil, too much melatonin
so you take stuff not really proved to do jack in humans like res. and don't take ALCAR/ALA?...
(And a ton of caffeine to boot)

#81 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

Is the D,L-Phenylalanine 1000mg doing anything for you? Have not heard many people mention this supplement. If I understand correctly, the D-Phenylalanine does not cross the blood-brain barrier well right (wikipedia). Why not go to L-Phenylalanine instead?

#82 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

I'll have to check my label come to think of it. D,L is a 50:50 racemic mix from what I understand.

#83 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

Yes you are right. It is the L-isomer that crosses the BBB but it is the DL- isomer that potentiates pain relief and enhances mood. DL-isomers is also a precursor of the L-isomers so you would still get the actions of the L-isomers accross the BBB

#84 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

If I did take lipoic acid I would take the sustained release SR+ from AOR but unfortunately it's out of my budget range at the moment.

perhaps next year i will throw it in the mix with a little ALCAR

I missed that post..

well the LE research on ALA wasn't done using any time release form. it may be better but we dont know by how much.

Why, with all the oeverwhelming research about those two aren't you sign it?

#85 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

I added some item to optimize muscle protein synthesis and recovery from training.

here's what I added on training days

On training days:
15-30 minutes before training
Instantized Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA 2:1:1) 10 g in 400 mls water
---->Weight Training
Immediately after training session:
High Molecular weight CHO (Waxy Maize Starch) drink containing 10 g 50:50 BCAA-Leucine Mix
15-30 minutes after training:
Customized protein mix containing
Hydrolyzed Whey protein 3 g
Whey protein Isolate cold filtered 22.5g
Creatine monohydrate 3g
Leucine 1.5g (to up BCAA ratio)

#86 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:23 AM

there you go - sale on SR+

http://www.uniquenut....asp?itemid=210

PS according to research carbs do not aid jack shit in protein synthesis. sorry to break the myth.

#87 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:29 AM

I agree.

the CHO I take after training are to replenish glycogen stores and not to aid in protein synthesis. Note that I take straight BCAA's before training.

Oh yes. That's a very tempting price on the SR+ indeed. I might consider a purchase

#88 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

Changes
1. Depleted ChocoMind stock-----> replaced with 100% raw organic cocoa powder
2. Added 5g raw Maca powder to morning shake
3. Doubled Vinpocetine intake from 20mg in 2 dosages to 40mg in 2 dosages

#89 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

5g raw maca? expect some morning lethargy (it gives me lethargy due to that alpha2 quercitin thing.. but not everyone is sinesentive to quercitin like me)
maca is LOADED with quercitin

sponsored ad

• Advert

#90 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

I haven't used maca before so I will be starting off with 1.25 g and then work my way up to 5g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users