• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

comments, moderation & tone (split from COVID)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:03 AM

To be cynical with you, I'm not sure what the point is any conversation on this virus, you can thank wonderful censorship in are new orwell 1984 world for that. Waste of brain-cells to think about.

• Good Point x 2
  • dislike x 1

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

To be cynical with you, I'm not sure what the point is any conversation on this virus, you can thank wonderful censorship in are new orwell 1984 world for that. Waste of brain-cells to think about.

Just to clear the air, you are free to disagree and are encouraged to do so.  In fact, I don't think you'll find two people that agree on everything with respect to covid in this forum.

What you're not free to do is to personally attack another member.  You can attack someone's ideas, but you can't attack the person.  So, saying "your idea is dumb" is ok (it would be nice if you'd give your reasons for believing that), but you can't say "you're dumb".

We can't have a civil discourse with members attacking other members personally.

Sound reasonable?

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

This article details a German study of COVID-19 survivors, which found:[/size]

• 78% of COVID-19 survivors had structural changes to their hearts 
  • 76% of COVID-19 survivors had a biomarker which normally indicates heart injury found after a heart attack

BTW Hip, I don't know why your post has been down voted as "Dangerous, Irresponsible".  I don't think any reference to a published study should ever be rated like that.  We seem to have some members that use the rating system to down vote anything they don't agree with or don't want to hear.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 28 July 2020 - 02:14 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

BTW Hip, I don't know why your post has been down voted as "Dangerous, Irresponsible".  I don't think any reference to a published study should ever be rated like that.  We seem to have some members that use the rating system to down vote anything they don't agree with or don't want to hear.

I think the reason is simply, that until recently Hip has been ceaselessly using adhominems (and appeal to authority) in the following 2 long threads on anyone not his fear-mongering opinion. Influenced by suffering himself for many years from post-viral syndrome. Without any intervention from moderators. Gladly he toned that down himself, propably because of increasing downvotes.

https://www.longecit...t-covid-so-far/

https://www.longecit...views-theories/

I myself was repeatedly downvoted for pointing out the repeated adhominems. But in my case speaking up for truth wont be stopped by downvotes. So that kind of downvoting is a natural result of lack in moderation.

Edited by pamojja, 28 July 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#5 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

I think the reason is simply, that until recently Hip has been ceaselessly using adhominems (and appeal to authority) in the following 2 long threads on anyone not his fear-mongering opinion. Influenced by suffering himself for many years from post-viral syndrome. Without any intervention from moderators. Gladly he toned that down himself, propably because of increasing downvotes.

https://www.longecit...t-covid-so-far/

https://www.longecit...views-theories/

I myself was repeatedly downvoted for pointing out the repeated adhominems. But in my case speaking up for truth wont be stopped by downvotes. So that kind of downvoting is a natural result of lack in moderation.

It's always a difficult thing to decide how much moderation is appropriate.  The philosophy here is to moderate with as light of a hand as possible.  And keep in mind, someone attacking your ideas isn't an ad hominem attack.  Someone attacking you as a person is.

There's a fine line and some posters are very good at walking right up to that line.  You have my apologies if you think I've let things go unmoderated at times.  I'm new at this and still learning.  We obviously have had issues with certain posters frequently walking up to the lime and too many times stepping over.  At least one case of that has recently been addressed.

That said, I hate to see the rating system used inappropriately.  If you don't like what someone has said, hit the "Dislike" button.  If you don't agree with what they've said, hit "Disagree". If they haven't said anything dangerous or irresponsible, don't hit the "Dangerous, Irresponsible" button.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users